C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Engine options?

Ok. Bought my first corvette. Z06 stock engine with a blower on low boost. Want to elimate the possibility of an engine failure with either a crate engine or a build engine. It goin to be a tuff Streeter not a drag car or track car. Don't plan on ranking it much more of a cruiser that sounds n looks tuff. What wud u guys suggest? I'd like to bump the boost to say 14-15psi from the 6-7 now. Crate engine n sell my stock donk? Or buy a new short lsx motor n redo my heads? Pls estimate price of your suggestions. I'm not really doin it to chase more power...I just don't want to grenade the engine make a mess of the car
Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

14-15psi and you say you don't want to make more power? That makes no sense. You are more likely to drop a valve than blow the motor if you keep the boost reasonable. If the heads haven't been pulled and rebuilt by a shop like West Coast Cylinder Heads, I would do that.

A built shortblock would be easier to swap out with less down time and you can then sell your shortblock to recoup some cash. Have the heads sent off while the short is getting built. A good place to also list your motor for sale would be Racedezert and GlamisDunes.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Originally Posted by jon6.0
14-15psi and you say you don't want to make more power? That makes no sense. You are more likely to drop a valve than blow the motor if you keep the boost reasonable. If the heads haven't been pulled and rebuilt by a shop like West Coast Cylinder Heads, I would do that.

A built shortblock would be easier to swap out with less down time and you can then sell your shortblock to recoup some cash. Have the heads sent off while the short is getting built. A good place to also list your motor for sale would be Racedezert and GlamisDunes.
What u ment is I'm not chasing numbers. Not going to pump 20psi n chase 1000hp n the like. Happy with the power it has not just want to make it safer and add a bit more boost. Not go crazy
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

What blower does it have on it now? what kinda power.. Is it tuned on straight gas or gas+meth?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM
croatbob
Drifting

V7 6lb. Tuned on gas. Made touch over 700rwhp with cam
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by croatbob
V7 6lb. Tuned on gas. Made touch over 700rwhp with cam
IMO you are going to need Meth, or run c16/e85 all the time.

I would personally just throw some rods/pistons into your current motor and fix the valve issue, then crank up the boost and add meth.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 AM
0carlos@redline-motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a perfectly running LS7 LONG block wrapped in shrink wrap here that came out of the shop Z06 with about 20K miles on it. Let me know if you are interested. I believe we are trying to get $9K for it. It is complete from oil pan to intake and valve covers.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carlos@redline-motorsports
I have a perfectly running LS7 LONG block wrapped in shrink wrap here that came out of the shop Z06 with about 20K miles on it. Let me know if you are interested. I believe we are trying to get $9K for it. It is complete from oil pan to intake and valve covers.
is it a STOCK ls7 or built?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlos@redline-motorsports
i dont want another stock bottom end. mine is fine. i want either an lsx or similar bullet proof base. not interested in rebuilding the stock block to tell u the truth incase i start chasing numbers.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
IMO you are going to need Meth, or run c16/e85 all the time.

I would personally just throw some rods/pistons into your current motor and fix the valve issue, then crank up the boost and add meth.

running sunoco or premium and torco
Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

running sunoco or premium and torco
I would still be iffy on premium +torco over 800 rwhp with out meth just because of elevated IATs...

If you dont plan to run 100+ octane all the time i would invest in a meth kit.. and as i said.. just throw rods/pistons in your ls7 and fix the heads.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

i dont want another stock bottom end. mine is fine. i want either an lsx or similar bullet proof base. not interested in rebuilding the stock block to tell u the truth incase i start chasing numbers.
im not familiar with the Vortech line, but unless you are running a Ysi or bigger you arent going to be "chasing numbers" IMO.

if you plan on going bigger... just do a 427 LSX, Mast heads and be done with it.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM
0carlos@redline-motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it a STOCK ls7 or built?
Just has a mild cam, pushrods and springs.

No worries. Was just throwing it out there as you mentioned "crate engine" in the OP.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think a V7 is a YSi. Depending on where you live I wouldn't get an iron block if you live in a real hot climate.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

I think a V7 is a YSi. Depending on where you live I wouldn't get an iron block if you live in a real hot climate.
I live in Tx, and the iron block is fine as long as you upgrade the radiator IMO

Worst case you can throw in an oil cooler too. for chasing a number most people will reccomend a 6 bolt setup, Besides the LSX i believe the other 6 bolt blocks are considerably more pricey.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM
croatbob
Drifting

I live in Tx, and the iron block is fine as long as you upgrade the radiator IMO

Worst case you can throw in an oil cooler too. for chasing a number most people will reccomend a 6 bolt setup, Besides the LSX i believe the other 6 bolt blocks are considerably more pricey.
it has a dewitts radiator already installed. car is in miami but i aint stupid enough to give it a belting on the humid days. purely a weekend warrior
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM
croatbob
Drifting

im not familiar with the Vortech line, but unless you are running a Ysi or bigger you arent going to be "chasing numbers" IMO.

if you plan on going bigger... just do a 427 LSX, Mast heads and be done with it.
its runnin a ysi

Get notified of new replies

To Engine options?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

its runnin a ysi
10:1 427 LSX/mast heads/meth and be done.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
croatbob
Drifting

what are these texas speed lsx 427 6 bolt head long engines like? they seem very good value! 11k n i can still sell off my stock ls7 while it still breathes

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-471-tsp...ong-block.aspx
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM
croatbob
Drifting

anyone else like summit or jegs sell a strong ls7 based long engine thats resonably priced? some ppl are talkin 20k to rebuild mine

Quick Reply: Engine options?