Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C7 Forum policy: Ignore Trolls

Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,009 Likes on 364 Posts

Default New C7 Forum policy: Ignore Trolls

This forum is for members who like to contribute real and valuable opinions and information.

So the new policy I suggest it so ignore comments and threads made by the trolls. Do not aknowledge or respond to them. They will eventually go away. You know who I am talking about, so no response necessary. Can we all agree?

Lets return this forum back into one we enjoy reading and get valuable C7 information.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 PM
brightonvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russm05
this forum is for members who like to contribute real and valuable opinions and information.

So the new policy i suggest it so ignore comments and threads made by the trolls. Do not aknowledge or respond to them. They will eventually go away. You know who i am talking about, so no response necessary. Can we all agree?

Lets return this forum back into one we enjoy reading and get valuable c7 information.
amen !
Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RussM05
This forum is for members who like to contribute real and valuable opinions and information.

So the new policy I suggest it so ignore comments and threads made by the trolls. Do not aknowledge or respond to them. They will eventually go away. You know who I am talking about, so no response necessary. Can we all agree?

Lets return this forum back into one we enjoy reading and get valuable C7 information.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
I fully support this move. The ignore user helps a lot but to use a pest analogy we need the "Deep Woods Off" because some of these trolls are a lot peskier than the average pest.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:39 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Prosecutors will be violated!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

So in other words, you think this forum should be only for those who agree with your point of view.

Gotcha!

FWIW, I now think that the C7 is a fantastic looking car, rear and all. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person and perhaps planning a future purchase of one.

I just have this thing against members coming on here trying to dictate who may and who may not express opinion. That's all!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

How is a troll identified, versus someone who has a differing opinion?

We don't need a forum with just a bunch of "yes" people.

Michael
Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Meh.... big freakin' deal.

One man's troll is another man's question. I don't see the problem.

A forum should be just that... a free and open discussion of the subject at hand.

You can't have real freedom without some sacrifice.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

It's real easy to just ignore what you want without making a big deal of it. Nor do you have to respond to someone because you don't agree with them. Read something you don't like..skip over it. Thats just my opinion. Lol
Old 06-16-2013, 10:25 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City

A forum should be just that... a free and open discussion of the subject at hand.

I agree with much of this. However, in some cases, it is more than just a dissenting vote or opinion. Sometimes it is so repetitive and often clearly just to stir up **** or making it personal/insulting but that happens from both sides. The issue is those folks add no value to any of the discussions and those are the people folks label as "trolls". If they don't contribute in a meaningful way (note I didn't say positive) then they shouldn't be allowed here because it lowers the enjoyment of the forum for everyone else.

That raises another point... that on a forum, we don't have freedom of speech The mods have made that clear in that you follow forum rules (where they have discretion) and they can clean-up/ban as they choose. This is neither a bad nor good thing but it is reality and that means there isn't "real freedom" here nor should there be... we don't own the site.

Last edited by gthal; 06-16-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 PM
C5-JIM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree. When I bought both of my C6s the C6 forum did not have 10% of BS that is on this C7 site. As long as it looks as good in person as the pictures I do not give a s_it about anything else. And yes I have one order.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I'm going back to the C6 Forum.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

When you read the same five or so folks repeating, day after day, negative and attacking posts, most of which contain the same rant as their last five posts, that identifies a troll. This is especially true when the troll STARTS new thread after new thread with another attack.

Conversely, a person who posts, respectively (that is not calling others words like "moron, idiotic," or similar) a contrary opinion, whether that is a "pro" or a "negative" opinion, and that person is not one who endlessly repeats their opinion daily or almost daily, then that person is not a troll, but someone expressing their opinion.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Oddly, this thread wasn't ignored.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
So in other words, you think this forum should be only for those who agree with your point of view.

Gotcha!

FWIW, I now think that the C7 is a fantastic looking car, rear and all. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person and perhaps planning a future purchase of one.

I just have this thing against members coming on here trying to dictate who may and who may not express opinion. That's all!

I tend to agree with you. I am still new on this forum but here is my observation...There is a HUGE difference between expressing one's opinion ("I personally don't like the C7 taillights.") and making a declarative and provocative statement as if it is a fact ("The C7 taillights are hideous and Chevy is making a big mistake.")

The difference is that I can listen to and respect anyone's opinion. They are entitled. I can not tolerate someone stating their opinion as fact for which they have no knowledge or support. In the case of the taillights, just by example, no on really knows how they will or won't be accepted until Chevy gets statistically meaningful data from a wide range of customers or potential customers.

One of the problems with the so-called trolls on this board is that they are so strident, snide and obnoxious in the way they respond. Hardly any thread goes more than three pages before degrading into a spewfest of personal attacks, smart-a** remarks and childish bickering. If they disagree with your opinion, civility goes out the window pretty quickly.

I was trapped into this early on and have subsequently chosen to ignore the trolls and simply read for what I find interesting or informative. That's why I'm here. That's what I'm looking for and I try to be of help if I can contribute something useful while staying out of the frays.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City

I dunno, Mr. Mayor. Remember 09 scud at the F board? There's one in every automotive forum. They stir the pot, and the pot always responds, even though the pot doesn't at all have to.

And an ignore button. Use it.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:54 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
When you read the same five or so folks repeating, day after day, negative and attacking posts, most of which contain the same rant as their last five posts, that identifies a troll. This is especially true when the troll STARTS new thread after new thread with another attack.

Conversely, a person who posts, respectively (that is not calling others words like "moron, idiotic," or similar) a contrary opinion, whether that is a "pro" or a "negative" opinion, and that person is not one who endlessly repeats their opinion daily or almost daily, then that person is not a troll, but someone expressing their opinion.
100%. Those on here that accurately describes deserve no consideration whatsoever. Free speech has limits. One cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater nor spew "fighting words" indiscriminately. It has never been protected behavior nor should it be.

Get notified of new replies

To New C7 Forum policy: Ignore Trolls

Old 06-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by elegant

This.
There are a number of them that simply troll threads to throw jabs out there but are apparently too ignorant to identify their own forum behavior. They are great candidates for the "ignore" feature.
S.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,423 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Don't forget the Porsche virus. Once that infects a thread, it's doomed.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 AM
DFW_C7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
This.
There are a number of them that simply troll threads to throw jabs out there but are apparently too ignorant to identify their own forum behavior. They are great candidates for the "ignore" feature.
S.

I plan to immediately start a new thread titled: "New C7 ignore policy really just C6.5 policy rehashed to make the forum seem fresh"

Trolls are easy to spot ... it's just so hard to resist responding

--C

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New C7 Forum policy: Ignore Trolls