Sponsored by:

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to get the lines with banjo bolts or the straight connections. I've seen both styles, and wonder if one is better than the other.
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I would also like to know what to look for when comparing the various vendors and manufacturers. Best quality? Best bang for the buck? etc.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used both kinds in the past. I went with straight fittings from DRM; he provides an explanation for preferring straight over banjos on his site, but I doubt you will have a problem with either style from a quality source:

http://dougrippie.com/featured/drm-s...l-brake-lines/
Old 06-15-2013, 03:00 PM
eldudereno
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john8642
Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to get the lines with banjo bolts or the straight connections. I've seen both styles, and wonder if one is better than the other.
Thanks.
I fitted some stainless braided lines with the round banjo fitting today. The lines with the rectangular block fitting, like the originals, will be a bit stronger but the after market lines with the round banjo were just as easy to fit with no rotation at all of the fitting when tightening the banjo bolt.

Originally Posted by MSG C5

I would also like to know what to look for when comparing the various vendors and manufacturers. Best quality? Best bang for the buck? etc.
Most will be described as stainless braided lines but that usually only refers to the braiding and not the fittings. The best lines also have stainless fittings where as the cheaper ones will be plated carbon steel. Out of the plated carbon steel fittings the ones with a yellow/gold appearance have better corrosion resistance than the ones with a silver finish.

Better quality lines also have a pvc sheath, clear or colored, covering the stainless braiding, giving extra protection.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:12 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jornahow
I've used both kinds in the past. I went with straight fittings from DRM; he provides an explanation for preferring straight over banjos on his site, but I doubt you will have a problem with either style from a quality source:

http://dougrippie.com/featured/drm-s...l-brake-lines/
Am another DRM fan!!
Banjo fittings are fine, rather the JIC straight fittings for me
Old 06-15-2013, 04:14 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by eldudereno
I fitted some stainless braided lines with the round banjo fitting today. The lines with the rectangular block fitting, like the originals, will be a bit stronger but the after market lines with the round banjo were just as easy to fit with no rotation at all of the fitting when tightening the banjo bolt.

Most will be described as stainless braided lines but that usually only refers to the braiding and not the fittings. The best lines also have stainless fittings where as the cheaper ones will be plated carbon steel. Out of the plated carbon steel fittings the ones with a yellow/gold appearance have better corrosion resistance than the ones with a silver finish.

Better quality lines also have a pvc sheath, clear or colored, covering the stainless braiding, giving extra protection.
Thanks! Any brand recommendations? I thought I also read an earlier comment on a different thread about the importance of having brass fittings.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I ended up ordering the Goodridge G-Stop lines from tire rack. Good brand, lifetime warranty, decent price.

Last edited by john8642; 06-15-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks! Any brand recommendations? I thought I also read an earlier comment on a different thread about the importance of having brass fittings.
Search Doug Ripple Motorsports on the web, he has the right fittings, and copper washers, if you want straight fittings.

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Brake Lines