C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first oil change

Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 PM
RonNSoCal
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My first oil change

Took car in for first oil change since I have owned my car and I would guess it is the first it has ever had with only 9000 miles on the odometer. The dealer charged $89, which I did not think was too bad, since they supposedly also check a lot of stuff. When I got home I cleaned up the car and decided to check the cabin filter, which I understand should be changed about every year in most cases. It had leaves and other junk inside, so obviously it was not inspected. I am beginning to wonder what else they did not do.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

You gotta take charge of these things. Question or verify with the service tech as to what's included and what you want them to do and how much $$ it's going to cost and when it will be ready. Ask if they have the appropriate lift for a Corvette and if the synthetic oil that's called for will be listed on the invoice. Insist that it is along with the oil filter and what other 'service' items you want to be checked. Some places say they check and top off all fluids, check all air filters, belts and hoses, perform a lube job, air up the tires, make recommendations as to what needs attention and on and on. Some don't unless you ask for it. I like having a good relationship with my service provider and we always have a proper 'meeting of the minds' as to what I want done, what it will cost and when it will be ready (before) they get the key. I always give them a spotless car as well. I believe that even their lowest paid employee would treat it better than a dirty 'unkempt' car during a routine service and it also makes it easy to see any smudges when you do a walk around and check under the hood. I once found a special oil filter removal tool with ratchet wrench attached laying on the manifold of a Cadillac I used to own after an
oil change. It really pays off to take notice of such things before driving away.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by RonNSoCal
Took car in for first oil change since I have owned my car and I would guess it is the first it has ever had with only 9000 miles on the odometer. The dealer charged $89, which I did not think was too bad, since they supposedly also check a lot of stuff. When I got home I cleaned up the car and decided to check the cabin filter, which I understand should be changed about every year in most cases. It had leaves and other junk inside, so obviously it was not inspected. I am beginning to wonder what else they did not do.
you are better off doing the change yourself and checking the filters and fluid levels while you're at it
Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Check your oil level.

2. Check your rocker panels.

3. I would not expect the cabin air filter to be inspected or replaced at a 9000 miles service... it's not part of "Maintenance I". See "Scheduled Maintenance" pg 6-5: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...09corvette.pdf

4. Since your cabin filter was clogged, I'd check the engine air filter, too. Dealer should've inspected it... LS3 filter should be good for 50k miles; just lightly shake it to dislodge crap. See pg 5-28: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...09corvette.pdf
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
you are better off doing the change yourself and checking the filters and fluid levels while you're at it
Okay bro, you seem like a nice guy...I've seen your comments here and there...WHO THE HELL IS THAT IN YOUR AVATAR ???
Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
3. I would not expect the cabin air filter to be inspected or replaced at a 9000 miles service... it's not part of "Maintenance I". See "Scheduled Maintenance" pg 6-5: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...09corvette.pdf.......................
I would never expect a cabin filter to be checked at only 9k.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 AM
RonNSoCal
Instructor

Thanks for the info, however, with the car being two years old, should not this be taken into account?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Yes, they should have checked the cabin air filter. Replacing this filter is a Maintenance II item that is supposed to be done once a year. Since they didn't check this they are missing the purpose of the "FREE 834 POINT INSPECTION!!!" which is to sell more needless parts and labor increasing the service department's profit margin. That free inspection is a marketing tool, not something to help the customers.

And did you check your rocker panels? Dealers are notorious for cracking rockers whenever they lift a C6.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM
mfj427
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Dang, how many are there? That is my wife; she did a lot of freelance modeling for Sidley concrete walls back in the day. She works at our local church now.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
You gotta take charge of these things. Question or verify with the service tech as to what's included and what you want them to do and how much $$ it's going to cost and when it will be ready. Ask if they have the appropriate lift for a Corvette and if the synthetic oil that's called for will be listed on the invoice. Insist that it is along with the oil filter and what other 'service' items you want to be checked. Some places say they check and top off all fluids, check all air filters, belts and hoses, perform a lube job, air up the tires, make recommendations as to what needs attention and on and on. Some don't unless you ask for it. I like having a good relationship with my service provider and we always have a proper 'meeting of the minds' as to what I want done, what it will cost and when it will be ready (before) they get the key. I always give them a spotless car as well. I believe that even their lowest paid employee would treat it better than a dirty 'unkempt' car during a routine service and it also makes it easy to see any smudges when you do a walk around and check under the hood. I once found a special oil filter removal tool with ratchet wrench attached laying on the manifold of a Cadillac I used to own after an
oil change. It really pays off to take notice of such things before driving away.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
1. Check your oil level.

2. Check your rocker panels.

3. I would not expect the cabin air filter to be inspected or replaced at a 9000 miles service... it's not part of "Maintenance I". See "Scheduled Maintenance" pg 6-5: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...09corvette.pdf

4. Since your cabin filter was clogged, I'd check the engine air filter, too. Dealer should've inspected it... LS3 filter should be good for 50k miles; just lightly shake it to dislodge crap. See pg 5-28: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...09corvette.pdf
This^
Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look , you want some really good advice . Dont ever ASSUME GM delaers know what they are doing. Do your research, try and find a good trusty mechanic and stay away at all costs unless you have to absolutley go to GM for service. Most of us have leanrned with 1 or 2 visits who and what type of people your dealing with .
Old 06-14-2013, 05:09 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way Chuckees in Newbury works on My C6Z06 , good peeps
Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by mfj427
Dang, how many are there? That is my wife; she did a lot of freelance modeling for Sidley concrete walls back in the day. She works at our local church now.
???
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

???
Sorry, not trying to high jack the thread but that is way funny

BTW..I LIke your avatar too.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I do mine for half of what you paid and I know it was done right. Takes less than 1/2 hour also.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 AM
RonNSoCal
Instructor

I have gone to Chuckies in Newbury Park for most of the work I have had done, but I wanted the dealer to look at a few things that might be covered under warranty. They did sort of fix one of the issues but said the poor fit of the dashboard could not be repaired. Where the front fender meets the bumper to the inside of the headlight, it sticks up on one side of my car. The service manager said it is held down by a clip and he claimed they were able to make it 90% better, although it still sticks up and does not fit quite right. I agree with you all. Next time I will go to Chuckies and bring my oil from Costco and save some money and know I am getting a good job.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I would never expect a cabin filter to be checked at only 9k.
I just got my '09 with 16K on it. I know that's 4 years instead of the OP's 2 years, but for $12 and with the crazy pollen in OH I'll just change the cabin air filter every spring. It was filthy.

I would imagine the dealer checked the air filter since they'd love to sell one, but have a look at it in case. But it should be good for quite a while longer...
Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 PM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I avoid dealers unless its warrenty work and then I only go to a dealer that sells lots of Corvettes and has a cert Corvette tech and I talk to him first. Hopefully they put your oil filter and crankcase bolt on correctly. good luck

Get notified of new replies

To My first oil change

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first oil change