Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Rear view mirror courtesy lights won't turn off

Old 06-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Victory07
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear view mirror courtesy lights won't turn off

The two small courtesy lights on my rear view mirror won't shut off on my 07 Z06.

I've tried playing with the on/off buttons on the lights, but that doesn't fix it.

I've also tried turning off the master switch for the courtesy lights and that doesn't fix it either.

Just called the dealership and the car is out of warranty by a few months.

Anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? GM wants $100 just to look at it.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Check the courtesy fuse on the passenger side. Lift the end of the floor mats where the feet rest. I blew the courtesy fuse 3 times somehow so i picked up a 5pack of fuses
Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I had mine stay on a couple of times, until I realized that I needed to push the **** on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

It sounds like you've done that already.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Victory07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by diverdan
I had mine stay on a couple of times, until I realized that I needed to push the **** on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

It sounds like you've done that already.
Yep, tried it.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Lights

I had the exact same problem with my 07Z. I fortunately have a good friend that works at the local chevrolet dealer. He brought home his scan tool and reset one of the settings in the computer. All is well now.....
Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Victory07
Melting Slicks

ok so I just went out to the garage again and by some miracle they turned off.

to be continued.........
Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully they went off on their own properly, but maybe just on the battery run down protection circuit after about 10 minute's. You'll find out when you open the door again. Many of here had a similar problem, but it was only the little push button.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:52 AM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

oops sorry i saw this post on my phone and completely read the title wrong. thought you couldn't turn them on lol.

hope you figured out the problem though...
Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 PM
BGAndrea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is doing this right now. I'm going outside to push the button again and will update.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Victory07
ok so I just went out to the garage again and by some miracle they turned off.

to be continued.........
They shut off after couple mins. I had the same thing happen. Make sure the botton on left side steering wheel was pushed to correct position/setting, then close doors and they will go off in few minutes. Make sure they are off at mirror to.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

The push-on/push-off buttons at the mirror and the Instrument Panel Brightness **** that is just above your knee on the left side of the dash are interconnected. If either one is set to turn the lights on, the lights will be on -- both need to be set to off to get those lights to go out. Try this:
1) Make sure both push-on/push-off buttons at the mirror are set to "off". This is the switch position where the button protrudes from the mirror the least.
2) Jump out of the car and close the door. Use your remote to lock the car doors -- the mirror lights should start dimming immediately and be out in a couple of seconds. If not, do step 3).
3) Press the Instrument Panel Brightness **** (left side of the dash), then repeat step 2). All should be good now.

Who would have thought turning a light off would be this complicated. Hope your problem is solved.

Ernie
The following users liked this post:
acrace (08-14-2016)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smkn 07
Who would have thought turning a light off would be this complicated. Hope your problem is solved.

Ernie

I had the same problem.

I now have a sticky note pasted in my Owner's Manual at the "Mirror lights" section: Button in = off

I had the lights stay on last week. Fortunately, I learned from this board to push the dash lights dimmer control **** before panicking; this is the button/**** left of the steering wheel. This shut the lights off immediately. I must have hit it with my knee.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM
sengli
Instructor

Same problem one time...found out I must have hit that button with my knee and didnt realize it.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:51 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

2) Jump out of the car and close the door. Use your remote to lock the car doors -- the mirror lights should start dimming immediately and be out in a couple of seconds. If not, do step 3).
Works also if you don't jump, just saying

Old 05-27-2013, 02:36 AM
deimosreign
Heel & Toe

The push-on/push-off buttons at the mirror and the Instrument Panel Brightness **** that is just above your knee on the left side of the dash are interconnected. If either one is set to turn the lights on, the lights will be on -- both need to be set to off to get those lights to go out. Try this:
1) Make sure both push-on/push-off buttons at the mirror are set to "off". This is the switch position where the button protrudes from the mirror the least.
3) Press the Instrument Panel Brightness **** (left side of the dash), then repeat step 2). All should be good now.

Ernie

Thank you so much!!! I just had the issue with my 08 Z and I solved it with this very post.

Gotta love the forums!!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:45 AM
VictoryRedZ06
Pro

LOLZ! You too! Drove me nuts thinking it would drain the battery, you have to make sure first that the lights are off which is with the buttons pushed out not in, if I remember correctly and then I pushed the button on the left side below the steering wheel a few times that also controls the lights for the pedals....smh
Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieD

Ernie
Resurrecting an old post. Ran into this issue just this evening after a quick ice cream run. Drove me nuts til I found this thread.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:00 PM
univerz06
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if its not solved do what i did...pull the fuse, nothing like getting into a pitch black car at night anyways. #spookyvette

Get notified of new replies

To Rear view mirror courtesy lights won't turn off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Rear view mirror courtesy lights won't turn off