C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Jaguarmaven
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Coupe vs Convertible

As I continue my search for a C6, I keep oscillating back and forth between the two models. I have owned both types of cars...my 60 and 63 were convertibles and my 77 was a t top coupe. Both of my E Types are rdstrs. For me, I enjoy the open air feeling of the convertible over the open roof coupes. I don't think that they are the same driving experience. However, as I get older, I find myself using the a/c more and more often and the top down driving less often. Also, as I have sat in both cars, there is a lot more usable room in the coupe. So, I tend to think that I am leaning towards the coupe at the this time. Maybe I'm just getting old but the coupe tends to make more sense right now. Anyone else have similar feelings towards the coupe vs convertible issue?

Dan
Old 05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently sold my daily driver 2007 coupe with 70k miles on it and bought a 2012 convertible. Other than trunk space, I greatly prefer the convertible. In a C6 having the top down on a convertible is very different than having the top removed on a coupe. The convertible is much more pleasant to drive top down than the coupe was with the top off.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM
lonnyh
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the convertible GS now, and when I trade I will go with the coupe. My reasons are
1. you can't track the convertible without a cage, even for just weekend fun runs.
2. The convertibles are noisy (road noise) even with the top up.
3. I think the stereos sound nicer in the coupes because of the added interior room you mentioned.
4. The last is connected with the first, why do you think they insist on a roll cage at tracks???? Because if you accidentally roll it you will probably bang your head pretty hard. They should at least have the single roll bar behind driver and passenger. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This my 3rd Vette and it's also a convertible as were the others. For me living in Clearwater/Dunedin Florida it's PERFECT. I'm not a coupe guy, and love the top down. Age has nothing to do with it. Also, if's it's worth anything, a convertible has a better resale value than a coupe. (at least here in Florida). good luck on your choice!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:41 PM
trading tiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the coupe because it's the best of both worlds. With the top up, the convertible looks...less than good. The coupe looks great with the roof on, and just as good with the roof off and you get a semi-convertible feel. It was an easy choice for me.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 400 Likes on 281 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I went with a coupe. I have had other vehicles that were convertibles and they were noisy and were prown to leaks.
Plus I think a Vette looks better in the coupe version.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a Corvette convertible and loved it. I went with the coupe for the versatility.

• painted roof on*
• painted roof off
• transparent roof on* (no QD sun blocker installed)
• transparent roof on (QD sun blocker installed)
• transparent roof off
• LOTS of luggage capacity

*2 different roof panels: two different "looks"
Old 05-24-2013, 02:57 PM
RODXL1200
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have had a coupe, Z06 and two Convertibles, my latest being the 2013 427 convertible. In So Cal I ride with the top down alot and love every minute of it. When I owned the coupe I rarely took the top off because it was a pain putting it off and on. The z06 was great but without the top off ability. I now have the best of both worlds. Not a track guy so that part did not matter to me. Not to mention sitting in the car and pushing a button to remove the top is awesome.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:00 PM
carsangelop
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With the top in the hatch area wouldnt the cargo space go close to zero? Just asking we have a vert
Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by carsangelop
With the top in the hatch area wouldnt the cargo space go close to zero? Just asking we have a vert
No not really but you can only access the space from behind the front seats. You can still get some stuff in underneath the top but height is restricted.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

You can store a lot under the roof.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Jaguarmaven
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Not zero space, but yes..the top does occupy a lot of room. I guess if you want an open car and a lot or trunk space, you'd need a 74 Caddy Eldorado. I'm hoping to also get a 67 convertible or a nice driver C1 for the open air days. I guess that there isn't an car that does it all, so like most things in life, you have to compromise {a little}.

Dan
Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 PM
C6_Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
No not really but you can only access the space from behind the front seats. You can still get some stuff in underneath the top but height is restricted.
you can fit a good amount under the top, we've gone grocery shopping in the vette with the top off and in the back a few times.

To answer the OP's question, its all personal preference, there's no wrong answer
Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

If your not a vert guy, don't buy one. I prefer a coupe and would never buy a vert. You either like convertibles or you don't there is no debate IMO it's a personal preference that only you can know. Not us.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM
R0NIN
Racer

When I bought my coupe about 5 months ago... I thought I would never take the top off (and was a little bearish of verts in general)...

The reality of the situation is that I take the targa top off practically everyday now... It's such an awesome experience with the sound of the engine and my new suntan! My next vette will probably be a vert...
Old 05-24-2013, 03:33 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Not really, you simply lift up the back of the stored roof panel and put stuff underneath. Quite a bit of room left and EASY to get to.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:34 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
If your not a vert guy, don't buy one. I prefer a coupe and would never buy a vert. You either like convertibles or you don't there is no debate IMO it's a personal preference that only you can know. Not us.
He nails it........Comes down to personal preference.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe vs Convertible

Old 05-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Willytrash
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the convertibles, especially with the top down. My last three were convertibles. I went with a coupe this time just for a change. A little more practicle, a little nicer looking then a top up convertible. IMHO. And a little more luggage space. The real deciding factor was the wife is madly in love with her Schnauzers and want's to take them along. Can't do it with a convertible, well they could go in the trunk but then I'd be in the dog house then.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:17 PM
SirVenox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I see I'm the only one who likes the vert with the top up . I like the style, like the c5 hard top. Ussually I used it with the top up but sometimes, when I ride it top down, it feels like a new different car. Awesome!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coupe for me for the versatility. I like the lines, too.... You can still get quite a lot of stuff in the back storing the roof...

Personal preference, though...

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Convertible