Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Tighten a loose fog lamp assembly on 1985 Corvette

Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Arbix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tighten a loose fog lamp assembly on 1985 Corvette

Does anyone know (or have step-by-step directions) on how to get to the mounting screws that hold in the fog lamp assemblies on the older C4's? I pushed on the drivers side fog lamp last night and the whole assembly moves without restriction. It looks as though the outside hardware is tight, but the inside is either really loose or unbolted completely. If I grab the barrel around the fog lamp I can move the whole assembly easily to position it, but for the life of me can't figure out how to tighten it into place.

I've seen many threads on how to change the assembly, but I can't seem to follow any of them and I haven't been able to identify the parts that they speak about. From here, I can't find any hardware to remove from underneath or how to get to anything from under the hood.

Please help.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 AM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After you remove the front bumper cover - the hardware holding the fog/turn signal lense assembly will be obvious.
Nothing "easy" about it. The bumper cover must be removed. Sorry.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Arbix:
I had the same thing happen to one of my parking light assemblies on my '86. After taking the bumper cover off, I discovered that the assembly was broken. There was no way to tighten it. You may have to replace it.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Arbix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So those threads from guys saying they got to it from the inside or the underside were not entirely accurate?.. I tend to believe it because those posts didn't make much sense and I couldn't follow their logic or detail.

Maybe a dumb question, but how hard is it to take off the front bumper? I had my rear bumper replaced by a 35-year Vette guy and he said it was a nightmare... is the font easier?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear is worse and a lot more painful.

Get notified of new replies

To Tighten a loose fog lamp assembly on 1985 Corvette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tighten a loose fog lamp assembly on 1985 Corvette