C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback

Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Default C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one regardless of what everyone says, but here goes anyway:

Single 29yr old male with no kids. Spent the past 8 years in college and the next 2 working for near nothing at experience builder jobs. Want something fun and don't give a damn if it isn't practical in terms of room and driving in bad weather (I'm a fairly experience driver on the track so bad weather doesn't scare me and work closes the 1 day it snows here in Dallas).

I drive about 20-25k miles a year (lots of travel for work). Current car is great (LS2 GTO 6spd coilovers, etc) but climbing in miles and I just want to change it up a bit. Plus it only averages about 18mpg with 85% highway (I get 23 highway at best around 70-75).

My first thought was an Elise but after reading the forums there, it seems like a disaster. Just not a daily driver.

Camaro just sucks. I've driven an SS on a road course and on the street. Fat understeering miserable to drive and no fun. 400hp is just muted by the weight. I'd crush a Mustang going into and out of turns just to have it completely leave me in the straights.

I thought about getting another Silverado. Would be nice for hauling my bikes (3 track bikes), but about zero fun + not good mpg. I love the ease of driving (visibility, not caring about potholes and etc), but I just didn't love it. I was close to buying one but backed out when I realized I was paying $50k for a truck I didn't want.

Only Mustang I liked was 5.0 track pack- $38k, what a new 1LT is going for. Nope.

The Questions:

So now I'm at a super low mileage C6 M6 (currently an 07 3LT w/ 15k miles for $28k or an 08 1LT w/ 10k miles for $31-32k).

What are your thoughts on daily driving the c6 as an only car for 25k/yr? I don't care about comfort (I'm used to riding a sport bike!) but I do care about maintenance, robustness, upkeep costs, etc.

Also, what are your thoughts about LS2 vs LS3. I couldn't possibly care less about the 36hp. In fact, I'd rather spend the $5k price difference on Z06 brakes and suspension and weight reduction than the power, but is the engine any more or less reliable/fickle? Anything better on the 08's that I want for a daily? Similar mpg I assume?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Plenty of Corvette out there used as daily drivers. Heck here in Ohio I know people who drive them year round. They do run in the snow too if you have the right tires. Look for a car that grabs you, get a fair deal and enjoy.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 PM
inner3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it! My car is a DD and I don't make a ton of cash, but when I found one for less than a new accord I jumped on it. "If people want to hate" then too bad for them. Can't worry about that, just enjoy life while you can.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one regardless of what everyone says, but here goes anyway:

Single 29yr old male with no kids. Spent the past 8 years in college and the next 2 working for near nothing at experience builder jobs. Want something fun and don't give a damn if it isn't practical in terms of room and driving in bad weather (I'm a fairly experience driver on the track so bad weather doesn't scare me and work closes the 1 day it snows here in Dallas).

I drive about 20-25k miles a year (lots of travel for work). Current car is great (LS2 GTO 6spd coilovers, etc) but climbing in miles and I just want to change it up a bit. Plus it only averages about 18mpg with 85% highway (I get 23 highway at best around 70-75).

My first thought was an Elise but after reading the forums there, it seems like a disaster. Just not a daily driver.

Camaro just sucks. I've driven an SS on a road course and on the street. Fat understeering miserable to drive and no fun. 400hp is just muted by the weight. I'd crush a Mustang going into and out of turns just to have it completely leave me in the straights.

I thought about getting another Silverado. Would be nice for hauling my bikes (3 track bikes), but about zero fun + not good mpg. I love the ease of driving (visibility, not caring about potholes and etc), but I just didn't love it. I was close to buying one but backed out when I realized I was paying $50k for a truck I didn't want.

Only Mustang I liked was 5.0 track pack- $38k, what a new 1LT is going for. Nope.

The Questions:

So now I'm at a super low mileage C6 M6 (currently an 07 3LT w/ 15k miles for $28k or an 08 1LT w/ 10k miles for $31-32k).

What are your thoughts on daily driving the c6 as an only car for 25k/yr? I don't care about comfort (I'm used to riding a sport bike!) but I do care about maintenance, robustness, upkeep costs, etc.

Also, what are your thoughts about LS2 vs LS3. I couldn't possibly care less about the 36hp. In fact, I'd rather spend the $5k price difference on Z06 brakes and suspension and weight reduction than the power, but is the engine any more or less reliable/fickle? Anything better on the 08's that I want for a daily? Similar mpg I assume?
the ls3 is suppose to be a stronger motor i have an 05 ls2 lots of power with mods no problems
Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

If you could upgrade to an LS3 by snapping your fingers and paying $3-4k, would you?
edit: $3-4k, have 5000 less miles but give up Z51 and DVD and the extra top

Last edited by village idiot; 05-21-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 PM
haberman13
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

DD Vette is one of the best car experiences in the world.

The sound, the power, the handling, the community, the subtle mods; its the total package IMO. (i'm in LS3)

Last edited by haberman13; 05-21-2013 at 09:53 PM.
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm 30. Put 142k on my 01, and my 2012 already has 10k. These cars are awesome as daily drivers, especially for people who are a bit younger with no kids. Can't give feedback on ls2 vs ls3. Probably not much difference, but 430 sounds better than 400...even still torque is what matters

Last edited by bgspot; 05-21-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

although I'm pretty much retired at this point, my 05 C6 is my daily driver. It's an LS2 with Z-51 package and a vert. As a daily driver it's perfect for me(living here in Florida). Mileage on the vettes is good imo. regardless of year. (It's all how you treat them too) The prices your finding are in range and I'm assuming their the hardtop models. Convertibles will run 2-3k more, so I've been told owning 3 now. Buy what you like, don't rush into the first one you see. make sure you get a history, and any extended warranty(if a GM warranty only) and above all a carfax. I would make sure the car is local so you can drive it before committing to buy it. Be advised you will be paying more for a very low mileage C6 too. The rest is all relative. Good luck!!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I have an 07 LS2... Love it.
I can get 30MPG.
I have owned it since Jan. and bought it with 64K on the clock. It now has 79K.

Other than you, who will ever know if you have an LS2 or LS3?
The outside of the cars look the same.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

I would drive them both to see which one you like best, newer is always better.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 PM
MLCRookie
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '10 is pretty much a DD simply because I love driving it...it is a 3LT and is actually one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven (have owned plenty of nice cars as well). Love the seats, love the ride, only thing is tires once they (original GY's) wear out I understand the ride will be even better. I say go for it, enjoy!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an LS2 with the 6M trans, and you'll be a happy camper. Plenty of power, handling, comfort for an everyday commuter, and 28+ MPG if you don't drive like an *******.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I think you will love LS2 or LS3.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought my 07 new with 2 miles on it and now it has over 150K. These cars are great DD's. Also if you wanted to reduce some rotational weight, I would recommend these - http://shop.performanceafx.com/C6-Corvette_c11.htm Their rotors are lite and last a long time. The best mod for the LS2 IMO is the FAST intake - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...st-intake.html
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I believe you will enjoy either engine but to me newer is better and more HP is an added bonus. I can tell you I never realized how addicting these cars are till I got one. Now I cant imagine not having one. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 PM
LAK3RS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been daily driving an 08 2LT Coupe since December, and have been enjoying every bit of it. I drive quite a bit for work, and am racking up the mileage.

I ended up paying $26k for mine with 2LT, VY Paint, F55, NPP, and Auto tranny w/45k miles - almost the exact options I was wanting leaving out the GU2 2.73 gears. The car also had quite a few small things done to it I initially intended on doing such as LG LT's, SLP LM1's, Halltech Intake, Custom Tune, Z06 Comp. Grey Wheels w/ INVO's, and even body color painted handles and rear spoiler. It was a no brainer.

I really lucked out with mine, and honestly feel that there are enough C6's on the market for you to truly dissect them all to find exactly what you need.

I was sold on the 2LT package, and noticed that quite a few Vette's with 3LT packages were a bit more expensive - and you're only getting HUD, Driver memory, Homelink, Power telescoping, and heated seats. Was that really worth paying an extra 3k+ for? No, considering I just wanted HUD and it's $600 installed in the aftermarket.

But, getting the LS3 over the LS2 was one thing I definitely wanted, and going with an 08 over 09-13's was soooo much cheaper, and there were still 05-07's priced around what I paid for mine.

Bottom line, get what you want and try to get as close as you can to doing it while staying in your price range. The C6 is a solid DD, and 08/09 are great years to purchase used. Stick with that LS3....
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 PM
mlsins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy52
although I'm pretty much retired at this point, my 05 C6 is my daily driver. It's an LS2 with Z-51 package and a vert. As a daily driver it's perfect for me(living here in Florida). Mileage on the vettes is good imo. regardless of year. (It's all how you treat them too) The prices your finding are in range and I'm assuming their the hardtop models. Convertibles will run 2-3k more, so I've been told owning 3 now. Buy what you like, don't rush into the first one you see. make sure you get a history, and any extended warranty(if a GM warranty only) and above all a carfax. I would make sure the car is local so you can drive it before committing to buy it. Be advised you will be paying more for a very low mileage C6 too. The rest is all relative. Good luck!!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback

Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 PM
CAPTRKO
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a 2008 Coupe in 2010 with the direct intention of driving it daily......I did and loved every minute of it....the car was so amazing and a stress reliever after a hard days work.

Own a 2009 Vert now....love it, but not my daily driver simply because I do not go to work everyday now.

GO FOR IT!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gering
I bought my 07 new with 2 miles on it and now it has over 150K. These cars are great DD's. Also if you wanted to reduce some rotational weight, I would recommend these - http://shop.performanceafx.com/C6-Corvette_c11.htm Their rotors are lite and last a long time. The best mod for the LS2 IMO is the FAST intake - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...st-intake.html
Whoa, those are some expensive rotors. Being lighter, how do they hold up to track abuse?
My local track (ECR) is hell on cars and especially their brakes. Being a motorcycle guy, I really like braking late and trail braking, probably too much and to the detriment of a few seconds.

Dropping 14lbs of unsprung rotational weight is nothing to sneer at though. Probably the equivalent to 75lbs of "dead" weight. Long term goal would be to get the car under 3000lbs, but that's kind of far fetched in a street car. Again, being a bike guy, I <3 weight reduction. It's basically mechanical masturbation at my levels unless it's a lot of weight and even less significant on the street, but it's fun

Last edited by village idiot; 05-21-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it buddy, don't look back . I have DD mine for 5 years. Man up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback