C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

J55 Brake option just the front?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default J55 Brake option just the front?

I don't have this option on my 88. This option is different calipers, pads and 13" rotors from what i can tell. Was this just for the front or does the rear have 13' rotors as well? When i did a search for J55 upgrade packages from various vendors all that pops up is a front upgrade.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, just a front upgrade.

Also, you'll need the larger Caliper Bracket if you're going to do the upgrade.

Last edited by GKK; 05-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:15 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

So the rear remains 12" and you have 2 different size rotors? Is this upgrade worth it on a street driven vette? Or would a good set of rotors and pads like Hawk get the job done?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:41 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
So the rear remains 12" and you have 2 different size rotors? Is this upgrade worth it on a street driven vette? Or would a good set of rotors and pads like Hawk get the job done?
Most would agree there's a significant difference J55 (13") vs JL9 (12") fronts. The condition of all components certainly is to be considered also.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Correct. For street use, good performance pads will make a difference in stopping power, but you may see more brake dust and possible some noise from the pads when they are cold.

As mentioned, you have to get the proper mounting bracket for the J55 brakes. If your 88 has the optional 17" wheels, the J55 fronts will work; if the car has the standard 16" wheels, you will need 17"s.

Personally, I don't see a real improvement with drilled and/or slotted rotors for street use. Braking temps don't get that high on the street compared to something like track use. And if your 88 has the stock wheels, drilled rotors will be hard to see so no "bling" value either. And drilled/slotted rotors usually can't be turned.

I would suggest going with a good quality stock rotor like the Raybestos Professional Grade (available at Rockauto), Centric rotors, or the NAPA rotors. Stock rotors can be turned to increase their life.

For pads, consider Hawk HPS or CarboTech pads. Ask Carbotech Adam; he's a CF Supporting Vendor and has good prices. There are some ceramic compounds that will work well too.

I would also recommend replacing the stock flex brake lines especially if they are original to the car. Earl's or Goodridge stainless flex lines would be a good upgrade. Definitely do a brake fluid flush!! For street use, either Castrol LMA or the Ford HD Motorsports fluid will work fine. Both are DOT3 fluids and have a higher wet boiling point over the generic brake fluids.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

I have 17" wheels. Although low miles all my brake parts are 25 years old and original. Even the dry rotted tires are original. I was thinking maybe this might not be a bad idea. This would replace all the brake parts plus upgrade me to better brakes?

http://www.vbandp.com/C4-Corvettes/C...r-1988-96.html
Old 05-21-2013, 02:16 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

LoneStarV keep me posted on the difference you feel. I have the calipers all wire brushed shiny. The only paint I'm using is black engine paint on the brackets. I am also gonna buy a new set of Hawk pads for the front. $60 on ebay. I paid $40 for the front 13" rotors. Stock GM nothing fancy and stainless brake lines. Gonna bleed the system its dark in color right now. I will buy the Castrol brand. Considering that $20 spring ? In the next 2 weeks I will make this happen.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:01 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
LoneStarV keep me posted on the difference you feel. I have the calipers all wire brushed shiny. The only paint I'm using is black engine paint on the brackets. I am also gonna buy a new set of Hawk pads for the front. $60 on ebay. I paid $40 for the front 13" rotors. Stock GM nothing fancy and stainless brake lines. Gonna bleed the system its dark in color right now. I will buy the Castrol brand. Considering that $20 spring ? In the next 2 weeks I will make this happen.
Yeah. I've been doing some searches and that VBP kit is expensive considering the rear parts to it are the same as stock. Cheaper to shop around and piece together the brackets calipers, pads and rotors to make a J55 kit.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I don't have this option on my 88. This option is different calipers, pads and 13" rotors from what i can tell. Was this just for the front or does the rear have 13' rotors as well? When i did a search for J55 upgrade packages from various vendors all that pops up is a front upgrade.
I would just change the fluid inspect the calipers and lines, if all is well there than I would just get a set of pads and a set of quality blank rotors like centric for a street driven car.

The 1521 pad would work well for you on the street.

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-21-2013, 03:39 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
I would just change the fluid inspect the calipers and lines, if all is well there than I would just get a set of pads and a set of quality blank rotors like centric for a street driven car.

The 1521 pad would work well for you on the street.

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.
After more research and considering how i will drive my vette i think you're right. 12" rotors,stock calipers,replace the fluid, replace the rubber brake lines with braided SS. Almost all the rotors are foreign made now and Centric seems to have a good quality reputation. So what is the advantage of your pads over what Centric or Hawk offer?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Yeah. I've been doing some searches and that VBP kit is expensive considering the rear parts to it are the same as stock. Cheaper to shop around and piece together the brackets calipers, pads and rotors to make a J55 kit.
I have a spare set of calipers and brackets. They will require a wire brush wheel to shine them up but they look great otherwise. I went to Napa and replaced they ring and seals in the ones I'm using. Only cost $12-15 for both left and right. Give me $100+ shipping for both calipers left and right along with 2 brackets.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
I have a spare set of calipers and brackets. They will require a wire brush wheel to shine them up but they look great otherwise. I went to Napa and replaced they ring and seals in the ones I'm using. Only cost $12-15 for both left and right. Give me $100+ shipping for both calipers left and right along with 2 brackets.
Thanks for the offer but i'm in research phase on my mods since i BLEW every dime i had over paying for my vette to get what i wanted. Drooling wanting parts/mod desire but cash poor for now.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:00 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

I'm in the same boat. Keep in mind they are in a box sitting there goin nowhere. Ive kept them because thought about putting them on the rear but who knows ?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

After more research and considering how i will drive my vette i think you're right. 12" rotors,stock calipers,replace the fluid, replace the rubber brake lines with braided SS. Almost all the rotors are foreign made now and Centric seems to have a good quality reputation. So what is the advantage of your pads over what Centric or Hawk offer?
First off we our not going to be the cheapest of the bunch, we our a small brake pad mfg to the companies you compared us to. Carbotech is a 100% made in America we own our own compounds and do not private label for anyone. We employ 18 people and are based in Concord, North Carolina. Carbotech feature a unique brake pad technology that is now being used by pro racers, club racers, tuners, and law enforcement agencies across the country.

Carbotech brakes utilize a ceramic and metallic construction in a range of compounds that out-perform competitive brakes. Carbotech brakes are made from compounds that offer higher initial bite, torque and fade resistance—providing consistent brake modulation and performance over a wide range of operating temperatures.

In addition, Carbotech brake pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust, that’s something that has been unmatched by any other brake pad in the industry.

It was over eight years ago that Carbotech started building brake pads out of Ceramic, Kevlar, and Carbon for street, autocross and racing applications. Carbotech is the only brake pad manufacturer in the world with a complete line of Ceramic compounds for street, autocross, and track use.

If you would like to place an order please call me at 216-780-8825. Pricing is below.

F $142 R $127 Less 5% forum discount.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:29 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Your prices are on par with hawk it seems. Going with a pretty much stock set up with the Centric Rotors and stock calipers you recommended i would be spending way more on pads than i did the rotors. I found the Centric rotors on Rockauto dirt cheap.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Yes, good Brake Pads will cost more than the stock rotors but, are well worth it!...
Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

The problem is i don't know diddly about brake caliper rotor pad fluid combos. There is a BLIZZARD of choices out there to choose from

Get notified of new replies

To J55 Brake option just the front?

Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM
GKK
Safety Car

If you're just doing simple Brake maintenance...

Just replace all brake pads with the Pads recommended here such as Hawk HPS or Carbotech, replace all Rotors with Quality replacements (not just the Cheapest) and never turn the stock rotors because they are thin to begin with, Upgrade to Stainless Steel brake lines or buy the stock rubber lines which are fine and bleed the brake lines using Dot 3 or 4 Brake fluid.

If you want the Big Brake look, just buy the GS Calipers on *bay and Brackets from any Vette salvage yard, any 13" Replacement rotor and pads and thats it!...
Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GKK
If you're just doing simple Brake maintenance...

Just replace all brake pads with the Pads recommended here such as Hawk HPS or Carbotech, replace all Rotors with Quality replacements (not just the Cheapest) and never turn the stock rotors because they are thin to begin with, Upgrade to Stainless Steel brake lines or buy the stock rubber lines which are fine and bleed the brake lines using Dot 3 or 4 Brake fluid.

If you want the Big Brake look, just buy the GS Calipers on *bay and Brackets from any Vette salvage yard, any 13" Replacement rotor and pads and thats it!...
I think i'll just stick with my stock size 12" rotors and calipers. Centric rotors were mentioned. Any opinions on other rotor brands? Any preference between Hawk pads and Carbotech? Brand of stainless steel brake lines?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
GKK
Safety Car

I think i'll just stick with my stock size 12" rotors and calipers. Centric rotors were mentioned. Any opinions on other rotor brands? Any preference between Hawk pads and Carbotech? Brand of stainless steel brake lines?
I use AC Delco Rotors, Hawk HPS pads and Goodridge Stainless brake lines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: J55 Brake option just the front?