C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~*~*~*~ Easy/Least Expensive Way To Get Additional Horse Power on C5 ~*~*~*~

Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 AM
PeterB
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default ~*~*~*~ Easy/Least Expensive Way To Get Additional Horse Power on C5 ~*~*~*~

GMorning - I trust everyone had an enjoyable weekend and that all is well. It was fun on this end as the weather cooperated here in the WindyCity. We had an enjoyable Friday evening with a few scotches/rib outing at LWoods Rest., Best pork ribs in town. Yummy! Saturday top down cruise in the Vet followed by a few Green Hornet spicy peppered Gin cocktails after which I was in rare form with a solid two hour flower watering session wink. On Sunday we enjoyed a spin on the HOG and ended up at having a few additional beverages at Arlington Racetrack. Sure, we bet a few pony's had a few laughs, a fun time with good friends, girl watching at Arlington Racetrack. Did not hit the trifecta or lotto jackpot and yes, unfortunately back to reality/work this AM

Btw I'm learning quite a bit here, I have an 2001 Vert and was texting with this good guy this past week from here that had headers, exhaust Mod for sale for approx. $2K @ $1100+ shipping, install. I know its going to make the car much louder and maybe a little faster? I was also thinking about this yesterday when I took my Ultra Classic scooter out. I have Sampson exhaust on it... Years ago, I also recall getting the Harley Eagle Package II for a few hundred dollars that included some type of Computer Chip that increased the HP and yes, it was a noticeable increase

Question. Without dramatically changing or spending several thousand$ what are some of the latest available ways to increase HP on a C5 or... Are there any really ? Any chip type mods?

I'll also follow this thread up and do a CF search here. Thank you men.

Last edited by PeterB; 05-21-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

No chip type mods are available for the C5 - best you can do is get a good dyno tune on the car. LT headers, another intake (something like a Vararam and a FAST intake manifold), etc. would get you some increase in power. Other than that, nitrous, heads/cam or some other mods will boost the HP numbers.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM
PeterB
Drifting

Thanks Jack, you taught me some more and for that I am grateful

Go BlackHawks!!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 237 Likes on 108 Posts
Oldtimer

I have a stock '03 that the original owner put a Callaway Honker on it. So I was going to have it tuned and figured that an exhaust change of some sort was needed too. I didn't want loud and honestly the base C5 has more than I'll use as I don't race anyhow. So I put a Borla X pipe and a Z06 TI back end on and had it tuned.

Made a very noticeable difference in the car. Much more responsive across the whole band. Much smoother throttle as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

what is your car...six speed or auto? any engine the better you get it to breathe the better off you are. I my self prefer the vararam intake, yes its p.i.t.a. to install but I like that it looks OEM when its done and I could definitely notice a seat of the pants feel even unturned..headers will gain you a lot as well..

when you say headers plus exhaust mod what are you meaning? what kind of headers?

even if your car is stock a tune will gain you a lot of hidden potential that you were not aware of! but at the end of the day it greatly depends on what you plan on using the car for and what you expect from it!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 PM
PeterB
Drifting

Auto.

Something like: Long tube headers and Xpipe magnaflow catback?

Whatever that is Hahhaa. Like I said I'm learning. That V intake is certainly an attractive suggestion. What does that run, scratch wi$e ?

I'm not going to race and in some ways it has plenty for me already but like I mentioned I find it very interesting learning from you guys that know it. One thing I don't want Momo20 is a real loud car. The HOG is different, you kinda want it for defense. No offense, I've heard very loud Vets and don't really care for that, not these days anyways.

Thanks for your contribution and education.

Last edited by PeterB; 05-20-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM
PeterB
Drifting

Is this the type and make you are referring to M20 ? Once its in it kinda flows with the rest of the engine etc. Looking like it belongs ha? "Manufacturer guaranties gains in the quester mile of .35 .40 sec." That's a fairly reasonable enhancement that's not thousands.

Good tip. Thank you.

Corvette Air Intake System, VaraRam, 1997-2004
2001 CHEVROLET CORVETTE STANDARD

1997-04 (C5) VaraRam Air Intake System
Part #: 44095
Price:
$299.99 ea.
Low Price Guarantee
Availability:
Ships direct from manufacturer. Allow additional time for delivery.
Fitment:
1997 thru 2004
See applications below for exact details.

Add to Wishlist Check Vehicle Fitment (optional)
2001 STANDARD CONVERTIBLE Remove This Item

Change Vehicle
This part fits the selected vehicle.
'2001 CORVETTE STANDARD' DESCRIPTIONAPPLICATIONS
DESCRIPTION
•Manufacturer Guarantees 1/4 Mile Gains Of .35 - .40 Seconds or 3 - 4 MPH Or Your Money Back
Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Oldtimer

Peter,

Increasing the intake is certainly a good thing. Just beware that the VR is not the easiest thing in to install even for experienced folks.

There are other systems - you may want to read up on them. If you do a search on CAI you'll probably hit them in the tech section.

A few are; Callaway Honker, SLP Blackwing, Vararam, Flip-tie mod etc.

Would I have put one on my car if it didn't come with the Honker? Probably not given my wants of the car. Just a good street machine that will raise adrenaline levels when stepped on and I think it would have done that just fine stock. I probably would of had it tuned though just to take advantage of it's potential and mainly for consistent throttle throughout the band.

But that's just for me. I'm an old fart who's not into racing anymore. Someone wants to go ahead? Go...

Your car, your call.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

In my not very humble opinion the 2 best things you can do to increase the cars performance potential for the least money is:
1. The most important one - A PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOL
2. Change the rear end ratio.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:01 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterB.
Is this the type and make you are referring to M20 ? Once its in it kinda flows with the rest of the engine etc. Looking like it belongs ha? "Manufacturer guaranties gains in the quester mile of .35 .40 sec." That's a fairly reasonable enhancement that's not thousands.

Good tip. Thank you.

2001 CHEVROLET CORVETTE STANDARD

1997-04 (C5) VaraRam Air Intake System
Part #: 44095
Price:
$299.99 ea.
Low Price Guarantee
Availability:
Ships direct from manufacturer. Allow additional time for delivery.
Fitment:
1997 thru 2004
See applications below for exact details.

Add to Wishlist Check Vehicle Fitment (optional)
2001 STANDARD CONVERTIBLE Remove This Item

Change Vehicle
This part fits the selected vehicle.
'2001 CORVETTE STANDARD' DESCRIPTIONAPPLICATIONS
DESCRIPTION
•Manufacturer Guarantees 1/4 Mile Gains Of .35 - .40 Seconds or 3 - 4 MPH Or Your Money Back

Be careful of the Vararam. If you drive in the rain and thru a puddle, the vararam will suck up water. The Blackwing comes highly recommended.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

the callaway Is a nice system as well..i would deft think about changing your rear end to something more performance goal oriented..you would definitely enjoy that a lot...
on my car 2003 Z06 I went with LG streets catted along with corsa indy exhaust and around town and on the hwy its just hums,,but get on it..and it screams very different sounding..but yes its loud...if you want something that is not as aggressive I would look into the Stock Ti exhaust from the 01-04 Z06 C5 cars...it will give you some more sound as well as performance as well
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 AM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yeah you have either the 2.73 or 3.15 gears on the auto. Find someone selling some 3.42 or 3.73 ones on here and get those installed. That will make a huge difference in quickness. (not a HP gain, but will wake the car up from the start)

Get a tune. The stock tunes are pretty tame. You can gain sometimes 15-20 hp just from a good tune. With the auto, also have the tuner either back down the torque management or turn it off. If you change gears prior to the tune, he'll likely have to adjust the slip table to account for that.

Headers of course would also be a decent increase. You can at times contact LG motorsports and they may have an extra set of LG street headers or something laying around for a good deal.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Oldtimer

Isn't one of the largest improvements in tuning an auto that they should/can change the shifting?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Easy/Least Expensive Way To Get Additional Horse Power on C5

I can tell you in one word...

NITROUS
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Honestly I think I do have a set of C5 Street Series open box.....

As far as picking up HP cheap...or let me say...performance.

01 cars...
Used C5Z Ti cat back...picks up a bit of sound, looses a lot of weight and flows very well. Loss of close to 20 lbs and 5-8 hp

CAI kits...take your pick 6-8 hp unless the filter is clogged now

LT headers 25-30 hp with a tune

Tune alone with a manual car maybe 10-12 hp, auto cars you can see a lot of seat of the pants with new shift points

Auto cars....torque converters will help a ton.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Stomp'N'Go
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Performance hood seal..
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
davisce
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterB.
GMorning - I trust everyone had an enjoyable weekend and that all is well. It was fun on this end as the weather cooperated here in the WindyCity. We had an enjoyable Friday evening with a few scotches/rib outing at LWoods Rest., Best pork ribs in town. Yummy! Saturday top down cruise in the Vet followed by a few Green Hornet spicy peppered Gin cocktails after which I was in rare form with a solid two hour flower watering session wink. On Sunday we enjoyed a spin on the HOG and ended up at having a few additional beverages at Arlington Racetrack. Sure, we bet a few pony's had a few laughs, a fun time with good friends, girl watching at Arlington Racetrack. Did not hit the trifecta or lotto jackpot and yes, unfortunately back to reality/work this AM

Btw I'm learning quite a bit here, I have an 2001 Vert and was texting with this good guy this past week from here that had headers, exhaust Mod for sale for approx. $2K @ $1100+ shipping, install. I know its going to make the car much louder and maybe a little faster? I was also thinking about this yesterday when I took my Ultra Classic scooter out. I have Sampson exhaust on it... Years ago, I also recall getting the Harley Eagle Package II for a few hundred dollars that included some type of Computer Chip that increased the HP and yes, it was a noticeable increase

Question. Without dramatically changing or spending several thousand$ what are some of the latest available ways to increase HP on a C5 or... Are there any really ? Any chip type mods?

I'll also follow this thread up and do a CF search here. Thank you men.

A "CAM and Long Tube Headers" (recommend 1-5/8" Primary Tubes) if you're not gonna mak over 500hp. American Racing Headers (ARH) or Kooks Long Tube Headers (Stainless Steel) are pretty good. I'm running ARH on my 99, but booth are good. It'll cost you around $3500, but that should cover the installation/labor as well. Bottom line, "Performance Costs $$$$$". You can't get around that. . . . Also, remember when you change/modify something from stock it effects something else, e.g., if you put a CAM and Headers in/on you should do something to the Cold Air Intake, Intake Manifold and exhaust system as well. Again, "Performance Costs $$$$$". OK, just my 2 cents worth. . . . . good luck.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Na4now
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With your budget, I'd say do an air bridge with a filter, and get a used set of headers, x pipe, and a z06 catback. Afterwards, and most importantly..get a proper dyno tune done. That should be the easiest/best bang for your buck.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:44 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stomp'N'Go
Performance hood seal..

Get notified of new replies

To ~*~*~*~ Easy/Least Expensive Way To Get Additional Horse Power on C5 ~*~*~*~

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ~*~*~*~ Easy/Least Expensive Way To Get Additional Horse Power on C5 ~*~*~*~