C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner :) 1.01g on base coupe?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Frieza
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner :) 1.01g on base coupe?

Hey guys new to forum and got my 2013 coupe a few weeks ago, lovin it!

I was cruising the Angeles Crest Highway today, and had my HUD in track mode. Now usually the car feels on the limit around .95 or.96 g's.

I took one turn today and got a read of 1.01g and the car didn't break nor even slide. I thought on the skidpad they test when the car can no longer hold the road and a base coupe was something like 0.93? It was just me and I'm 165lb's and had full tank.

I'm guessing I just don't understand how the skidpad works then.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
pleadingbark
Racer

Eagle F1 tires?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Frieza
Cruising

Yes the Eagle F1's that came with it
Old 05-14-2013, 10:47 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Real nice coupe you have there. Have a 2013 coupe too. Guess the tires are getting better all the time.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Congrats!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Frieza
Cruising

I'm from Buffalo and my Sabers don't like your Philly Flyers lol. Just kiddin and the Sabres suck now anyways.

But with the lateral acceleration try it out on your car if you get a chance. I guarantee you can get at least .95+
Old 05-14-2013, 10:51 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Momentary G's versus sustained G's on a skid pad are two different things. Like HP on a road with much resistance versus on a spinner. Numbers both. Add to that the possible error of the GM G meter.. I can tell you from my personal use, I would never try to get near 1G on a public street in my car. I've hit about 1.05 sustained on a 280 degree turn on my local track, and 1.13 max on OEM tires in my c6Z06 on the HUD.

Not trying to lecture, but I think you are reading max momentary G's and not "sustained" like on a skid pad (with plenty of runoff!).
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by 80atez
Momentary G's versus sustained G's on a skid pad are two different things. Like HP on a road with much resistance versus on a spinner. Numbers both. Add to that the possible error of the GM G meter.. I can tell you from my personal use, I would never try to get near 1G on a public street in my car. I've hit about 1.05 sustained on a 280 degree turn on my local track, and 1.13 max on OEM tires in my c6Z06 on the HUD.

Not trying to lecture, but I think you are reading max momentary G's and not "sustained" like on a skid pad (with plenty of runoff!).
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frieza
I'm from Buffalo and my Sabers don't like your Philly Flyers lol. Just kiddin and the Sabres suck now anyways.

But with the lateral acceleration try it out on your car if you get a chance. I guarantee you can get at least .95+
I will, just have to do it where you can get in the least amount of trouble.

Got angry at the Flyers this year when after a horrible year they win a bunch of meaningless game at year end a blow the chance for a high draft pick in a really good draft. BTW, recall those years you had Hasek....what a goalie....!!

Last edited by FlyerVette; 05-14-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always brilliant to push the limits of a car on the street.
But wait, what's the worst that could happen?

Last edited by Ferocious C6; 05-14-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Congrats.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:04 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Skid pads are flat, it's possible there was a bit of camber in the road that helped out.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always figured the G meter in the car wasn't the most accurate. I think it's just an add on they threw in since they have the yaw sensor already installed.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Frieza
Cruising

80atez, that makes sense and like I said, I didn't understand it that much which is why I was asking.

Ferocious C6- from my limited experience and understanding doesn't when the car start breaking loose in a turn, it just starts to slide sideways a little (not spin out) because the stability control intervenes. I remember trying to spin my moms 05 Lexus ES330 in snow covered parking lots and the stability control just wouldn't allow me to spin it. Also there was no one else around so the only person I could potentially have killed was myself and my corvette.

Flyer Vette- Buffalo is a cursed city that will prob never win anything. We lost the Super Bowl 4 times in a row and after we never really had a good team. Sabres have been alright but they just don't got any super stars we need.

Byron- Deff a possibility as that didn't even cross my mind. It was canyon roads which all over the place in twist turns and cambers.

Kadorja- I agree that they aren't 100% accurate but right around the mid .9X the tires usually do start to squeal so it can't be that far off. I could be totally wrong though.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 80atez

Like the OP I have a non-Z51 coupe and the most I've hit was 1.00g and I won't be doing it again. It held but then broke loose. It'll sustain mid 0.9g but peak at 1.0.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frieza
80atez, that makes sense and like I said, I didn't understand it that much which is why I was asking.

Ferocious C6- from my limited experience and understanding doesn't when the car start breaking loose in a turn, it just starts to slide sideways a little (not spin out) because the stability control intervenes. I remember trying to spin my moms 05 Lexus ES330 in snow covered parking lots and the stability control just wouldn't allow me to spin it. Also there was no one else around so the only person I could potentially have killed was myself and my corvette.

Flyer Vette- Buffalo is a cursed city that will prob never win anything. We lost the Super Bowl 4 times in a row and after we never really had a good team. Sabres have been alright but they just don't got any super stars we need.

Byron- Deff a possibility as that didn't even cross my mind. It was canyon roads which all over the place in twist turns and cambers.

Kadorja- I agree that they aren't 100% accurate but right around the mid .9X the tires usually do start to squeal so it can't be that far off. I could be totally wrong though.
If only the world were that simple. But it's not. You don't know what's coming around that next corner. It could be a driver completely out of control. There could be a bump in the middle of the road, upsetting the suspension and spinning the car out long before the nannies can kick in.
Blindly relying on the electronics to Save you is as dumb as going ball-to-the wall on the street, because they can't counteract every situation.
Your car could go into a slide that is unrecoverable and you smash into something.

If you want to push the limits, take the car to the track. It's a controlled environment and is much safer. And you can push the car far harder, and learn your limits(because you are the limiting factor, not your car). And you can improve as you drive.

That, or just keep trying to push over 1g on the street. And hopefully nothing happens.

Get notified of new replies

To New Owner :) 1.01g on base coupe?

Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Frieza
Cruising

For sure, I am definitely taking crazy risk by pushing the car that hard on the street. I also understand that the stability control isn't full proof.

I been looking for some good organizations that have open track days at Willow Springs but haven't been able to find any. I really want to take the car to a track though.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Frieza
Cruising

Also cool picture of the scenery where I was driving today, Angeles Crest highway

Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I rarely go past 0.8g on the street for further comment. The safest I feel I can sustain (and correct if I had to) is in the 0.7g range. I usually reserve this for the circular ramps on and off highways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Owner :) 1.01g on base coupe?