C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Your warranty get Voided w/ header install..

Old 05-14-2013, 04:53 PM
PRicanC6Xpress
Pro

Location: From: Brooklyn Kiddo, Live in Wantagh, Long Island NY....... New York
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does Your warranty get Voided w/ header install..

Does your GM warranty get voided if you install headers.....??????
Old 05-14-2013, 04:58 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Uh, I'm kinda thinkin' YES....esp if you get a tune.

Last edited by MakoShark72; 05-14-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FiremanC6
It depends on the service manager and the dealership. GM can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused a problem. Most dealers won't worry about the headers, but the engine tune (to take advantage of the headers) will definitely cause a warranty issue.
X2
Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It depends on the service manager and the dealership. GM can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused a problem. Most dealers won't worry about the headers, but the engine tune (to take advantage of the headers) will definitely cause a warranty issue.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what if you get GM to install the headers and send it out for the tune??
Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Yep.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

4-5 years ago no...in todays' time they will more than likely void your drivetrain warranty.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 268 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

GM can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused a problem.
Unfortunately, in the real world they can deny warranty coverage and make you fight them to get it. You may end up trying to prove your mods didn't cause a problem, which could be tough.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Old Boot
if you get the dealer to install headers and the tune gets done elsewhere, when there is a warranty item needing attention, do you then go to the person/co. who did the tune? if not, then the dealer can check for a tune which may (stress: may) lead the dealer to deny a warranty claim the first time, and every time thereafter for something related to the tune.

they can also put a warranty block on the particular car/vin for part, or all of the powertrain. that then is visible to any GM dealer since it follows the car, not the ownership. which can also mean a subsequent owner, thinking that they have an existing warranty, may not have one at all because of a prior owner's actions.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:14 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,237 Likes on 908 Posts

I know of a C-6 with a Paxton supercharger, headers, tune etc. It was in the dealership for a window issue, no problem with warranty. It may have been different if it had been an engine or other drivetrain issue.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
if you get the dealer to install headers and the tune gets done elsewhere, when there is a warranty item needing attention, do you then go to the person/co. who did the tune? if not, then the dealer can check for a tune which may (stress: may) lead the dealer to deny a warranty claim the first time, and every time thereafter for something related to the tune.

they can also put a warranty block on the particular car/vin for part, or all of the powertrain. that then is visible to any GM dealer since it follows the car, not the ownership. which can also mean a subsequent owner, thinking that they have an existing warranty, may not have one at all because of a prior owner's actions.

Correct. Dealers are asked not to modify a vehicle with non GM parts, but dealers are independent business people so they do what they do.

Non OEM exhaust headers generally change the location of the catalytic converters, so this is also an emission warranty issue. Especially is states such as California.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:43 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Powertrain Warranty is NOT up to the Dealer.

The Dealer has to get GM Corporate OK for GM to pay for any major engine repairs. Aftermarket parts can Void the Powertrain warranty, aftermarket parts + a tune will Void the Powretrain Warranty.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I know of a C-6 with a Paxton supercharger, headers, tune etc. It was in the dealership for a window issue, no problem with warranty. It may have been different if it had been an engine or other drivetrain issue.
Engine mods don't affect the windows
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the aftermarket part installed can be linked to the problem that occurs, then that particular problem is not covered by warranty... that applies to the whole vehicle. ie: say you install a new stereo unit and the speakers blow.. if that unit can be linked to the speakers blowing then no warranty... or you add an additional oil filter by pass unit.. and you spin a rod bearing.. if that unit can be linked then you are out an engine... and etc.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by haljensen
Powertrain Warranty is NOT up to the Dealer.

The Dealer has to get GM Corporate OK for GM to pay for any major engine repairs. Aftermarket parts can Void the Powertrain warranty, aftermarket parts + a tune will Void the Powretrain Warranty.
Most dealers are now exempt from having to call the PQC (Powertrain Quality Center) for authorization to replace engine, transmission, or transfer case assemblies. Most dealers can self authorize powertrain assembly replacement. Once the dealer authorizes the claim, the claim is normally credited to the dealer overnight. A few dealers, who did not meet the requirements for PQC exemption, still have to get PQC authorization.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SRQVelocityyellow
Engine mods don't affect the windows
I have a friend running 725 h.p. and slicks on his 1969 Firebird. He launches so hard, he has cracked his windshield.

No kidding.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Boot
I just took my new GS in for service yesterday ( to the dealership )and they asked me if I would like to install a edelbrock supercharger. I said you guys do that? He said yea we do them all the time. I said yea and blow my brand new warranty. He said not at all as long as we do it, full factory warranty still in effect. Now I don't know if thats true but he also told me $11k to do the install!

Get notified of new replies

To Does Your warranty get Voided w/ header install..

Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
I just took my new GS in for service yesterday ( to the dealership )and they asked me if I would like to install a edelbrock supercharger. I said you guys do that? He said yea we do them all the time. I said yea and blow my brand new warranty. He said not at all as long as we do it, full factory warranty still in effect. Now I don't know if thats true but he also told me $11k to do the install!
If the dealer gives it to you in writing it's all good!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Jefe's GS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Twice the price and at best there will be a very limited dealer network you'll be able to use for warranty. Likely you will be limited to just them for warranty work. But if you have to have it and you want the warranty then it may be the ticket.

Also, as long as you leave it stock you can take it to the track and still get warranty service. That's not a bad compromise. Especially when these cars are still stupid fast bone stock.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If YOUR local dealer agrees, what happens when you are away from home, and have a problem? There's no guarantee another dealer will honor YOUR dealer's warranty??

Aren't they all pretty much independent entities?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does Your warranty get Voided w/ header install..