Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] More Z06 Woes....

Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default More Z06 Woes....

Well after having spent all that money upgrading heads, mods and a tune, now the car is making a whining noise (almost like a car where power steering is going or is low on fluid, but I checked and fluid is not low and no leakage)

It just started last night, got louder this morning when driving to work so I turned around went home a dropped the car off, picked up my beater to drive to work.

What bothers me is that my C5 made a similar noise just before the balancer bolt just about shot through the radiator and I know the C6's have the same issue.

I will say the noise is not present when the Car is in Neutral, and I slightly rev the engine...it happens once I start driving the car in 1st, and going through the gears,, so it could be tranny related I don't know. Again, my C5 had very similar symptoms , slight rev not under load , no noise , start driving and it would whine.

If this is another big dollar repair...I am done with the car. I had moved on from the head issue, was not happy about being proactive , but accepted and moved on now this...... it's hard because the car just keeps giving me reasons to get rid of it and get another toy... SRT Challenger or Mustang or something else. What's even more aggravating is that I purposely did not do a cam or any big mods persay because I wanted to stay close to stock and avoid any problems and enjoy the car. Car has stock cam in it, so the motor has never even been opened.

Not a happy camper., and those that know me locally, this is on par wtih my luck with cars etc..

Last edited by FrankTank; 05-14-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Well after having spent all that money upgrading heads, mods and a tune, now the car is making a whining noise (almost like a car where power steering is going or is low on fluid, but I checked and fluid is not low and no leakage)

It just started last night, got louder this morning when driving to work so I turned around went home a dropped the car off, picked up my beater to drive to work.

What bothers me is that my C5 made a similar noise just before the balancer bolt just about shot through the radiator and I know the C6's have the same issue.

I will say the noise is not present when the Car is in Neutral, and I slightly rev the engine...it happens once I start driving the car in 1st, and going through the gears,, so it could be tranny related I don't know. Again, my C5 had very similar symptoms , slight rev not under load , no noise , start driving and it would whine.

If this is another big dollar repair...I am done with the car. I had moved on from the head issue, was not happy about being proactive , but accepted and moved on now this...... it's hard because the car just keeps giving me reasons to get rid of it and get another toy... SRT Challenger or Mustang or something else. What's even more aggravating is that I purposely did not do a cam or any big mods persay because I wanted to stay close to stock and avoid any problems and enjoy the car. Car has stock cam in it, so the motor has never even been opened.

Not a happy camper., and those that know me locally, this is on par wtih my luck with cars etc..
Sorry to hear this.

Was the AC on?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 AM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. Good luck. It's for sure frustrating.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by propain
Sorry to hear this.

Was the AC on?
thanks
Nope, I have been emailing the tech that works on my car this morning, he told me to unplug the alternator while car is running and see if that has any effect, I am at work now so can't look more into it yet.

I looked at the crank bolt and pulley while the car was running, maybe its just m e being paranoid but it seem to be moving quite a bit, but again hard to tell, I was in a hurry and needed to get to work

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Sorry to hear about that. Good luck. It's for sure frustrating.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing is more frustrating and saps the fun out of car ownership then mechanical troubles, hope its nothing serious. Looking back I think the timing was right in many ways when I decided to sell the Z06, if you reach that point don't worry.....plenty of choices out there for a fun car.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Could it be a belt whine like maybe some coolant got on the belt during the head replacement?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Nothing is more frustrating and saps the fun out of car ownership then mechanical troubles, hope its nothing serious. Looking back I think the timing was right in many ways when I decided to sell the Z06, if you reach that point don't worry.....plenty of choices out there for a fun car.
Exactly, that is where I am at now.. if its something simple like power steering, alternator or a belt issue..no biggie sht happens and I will keep the car, but anything more major like crank bolt, tranny etc... bye bye Z06...and GM for that matter

Originally Posted by Buddy A
Could it be a belt whine like maybe some coolant got on the belt during the head replacement?
I've been driving the car for about 2 weeks now, and just completed a 400 mile road trip with the car, so I don't think its anything related to that but you never know I don't see any leaks yet anywhere, will have to check more tonight
Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you say it makes noise when it is in gear only, maybe your engine mounts could be going bad? Maybe the engine could be shifting and causing a misalignment?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Weren't you having some transmission issues Frank?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

We had a whining sound last year coming from our '08, sounded like a faint version of what you hear from square-cut racing gears. Was quite loud in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, faded out with 4th. Ended up with all of the gears and counter-gears for everything except 4th being replaced due to excessive wear. All covered under power train. Between that and the new LS7 after our original popped, Bryner Chevy billed out a lot to GM for our car last summer!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Weren't you having some transmission issues Frank?
Yeap, well, they were isolated to going in R only, and I discovered if I put the clutch in, move the shifter to 1st, then back center and to R, no issues. My mechanic thinks the Synchros are bad in the Reverse gear.. but no other issues, 1, 2,3 all gears work and engage great, clutch is fine no pedal issues or slippage..

Not sure if that is tied to this noise, I did not try listening for the noise if I back up if it did it too... if I am rolling in 1st gear very light in the gas moving forward , there is no noise, it's only when I start getting faster and the RPM start to rise above about 1,200
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
We had a whining sound last year coming from our '08, sounded like a faint version of what you hear from square-cut racing gears. Was quite loud in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, faded out with 4th. Ended up with all of the gears and counter-gears for everything except 4th being replaced due to excessive wear. All covered under power train. Between that and the new LS7 after our original popped, Bryner Chevy billed out a lot to GM for our car last summer!
and this is my Worst nightmare come true if the case, and could very well be , Money-wise it would be stupid for me sell the car if I have to get a new trans, but at this point I am so frustrated with this POS that someone may end up buying a used Z06 07 with the head issue addressed, and a brand new Trans!! No more GM anything for me after this and bye bye Z06

I am pessamistic due to my luck with cars in the past, so I prepare for the worst (as is the case here) and if its not, its a surprise and blessing.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Yeap, well, they were isolated to going in R only, and I discovered if I put the clutch in, move the shifter to 1st, then back center and to R, no issues. My mechanic thinks the Synchros are bad in the Reverse gear.. but no other issues, 1, 2,3 all gears work and engage great, clutch is fine no pedal issues or slippage..

Not sure if that is tied to this noise, I did not try listening for the noise if I back up if it did it too... if I am rolling in 1st gear very light in the gas moving forward , there is no noise, it's only when I start getting faster and the RPM start to rise above about 1,200

Would you consider it a load problem or an RPM problem? If you are steady on the pedal does the noise start at a certain RPM every time? The noise did not happen while in neutral and revving? Were you still rolling when in neutral and revving?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 AM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am not saying it's your transmission, but I had this same very issue. Every gear went in fine except for R. After a while, putting in 1st wouldn't do it, it still wouldn't go in R. It never whined though, but when I had the dealer look into it, they found every gear busted. I'm not sure how that happened so they practically had to replace the entire transmission, under warranty.

I hope this isn't the case with your car, but it's a possibility. And if you find out that your current problem is the crank bolt/pulley, the transmission more than likely next, so fix it and get rid of it. IMO
Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

and this is my Worst nightmare come true if the case, and could very well be , Money-wise it would be stupid for me sell the car if I have to get a new trans, but at this point I am so frustrated with this POS that someone may end up buying a used Z06 07 with the head issue addressed, and a brand new Trans!! No more GM anything for me after this and bye bye Z06

I am pessamistic due to my luck with cars in the past, so I prepare for the worst (as is the case here) and if its not, its a surprise and blessing.
I'd be pissed too. Sorry bro.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:05 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by propain
Would you consider it a load problem or an RPM problem? If you are steady on the pedal does the noise start at a certain RPM every time? The noise did not happen while in neutral and revving? Were you still rolling when in neutral and revving?
At this point, I am thinking load problem, when in "N" I did not really Rev it above 2500 and in doing so there is no noise , I am a little scared to do so honestly above 2500.

I can roll in Neutral and rev and there is no noise, but again I did not rev it that high.

When in 1st grear moving forward steady on the Gas I would say the noise starts just above 1500 RPM or a tad less. It's present in 2nd and 3rd gear, I never made it up into 4, by that point I was doing the speed limit and decided to turn around and go home.

Originally Posted by NachosZO6
I am not saying it's your transmission, but I had this same very issue. Every gear went in fine except for R. After a while, putting in 1st wouldn't do it, it still wouldn't go in R. It never whined though, but when I had the dealer look into it, they found every gear busted. I'm not sure how that happened so they practically had to replace the entire transmission, under warranty.

I hope this isn't the case with your car, but it's a possibility. And if you find out that your current problem is the crank bolt/pulley, the transmission more than likely next, so fix it and get rid of it. IMO
Yeap either one , Tranny will be huge bucks ....crank bolt ./pulley if it just has come loose or backed out , Labor will suck and be costly (I replaced the one on the C5 myself in the garage not doing that again) , but won't be as bad as Trans assuming no other damage is found on the snout or anything else, the parts will be a lot cheaper, just maybe new dampner or ARP bolt, or whatever.

I have a buddy here local that had the same thing you describe a couple years ago on his 06 , he was still under warranty too. My power-train warranty went out last May so I am SOL big time. Car has 27,000 miles on it , no track time ... I am the 2nd owner, car was/is in great shape. Anyone who has worked on it comments how clean it is undercarriage, engine parts etc.. it's clearly not been abused or if it had they hid it well. I've owned the car since 2010 and bought it with 13k miles on it.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Black96WS6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, I am thinking load problem, when in "N" I did not really Rev it above 2500 and in doing so there is no noise , I am a little scared to do so honestly above 2500.

I can roll in Neutral and rev and there is no noise, but again I did not rev it that high.

When in 1st grear moving forward steady on the Gas I would say the noise starts just above 1500 RPM or a tad less. It's present in 2nd and 3rd gear, I never made it up into 4, by that point I was doing the speed limit and decided to turn around and go home.

Yeap either one , Tranny will be huge bucks ....crank bolt ./pulley if it just has come loose or backed out , Labor will suck and be costly (I replaced the one on the C5 myself in the garage not doing that again) , but won't be as bad as Trans assuming no other damage is found on the snout or anything else, the parts will be a lot cheaper, just maybe new dampner or ARP bolt, or whatever.

I have a buddy here local that had the same thing you describe a couple years ago on his 06 , he was still under warranty too. My power-train warranty went out last May so I am SOL big time. Car has 27,000 miles on it , no track time ... I am the 2nd owner, car was/is in great shape. Anyone who has worked on it comments how clean it is undercarriage, engine parts etc.. it's clearly not been abused or if it had they hid it well. I've owned the car since 2010 and bought it with 13k miles on it.
Sorry to hear about that Frank, that sucks.

What about an '11+ Mustang GT? Slap a supercharger on it and call it a day?

Or a GT500 and just drive it stock? Plenty fast...or change the pulley slightly .

Or back into a C5Z, add a supercharger and call it a day?

Any of those options would give you a ridiculously fast car...

Get notified of new replies

To More Z06 Woes....

Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Frank....really sorry to hear this. I know you were pumped with the head work that you just did and quite honestly, I took your lead and am considering doing the same to mine after the GMPP runs out in September. Another guy on here had a valve guide inspection done, was found out of tolerance and his extended warranty picked up the bill for new heads. I can do the same but I'm thinking that nothing will be fixed but just delayed, so I'd rather just have WCCH do it on my dime.
Is the whine possibly a throwout bearing? Is it at all clutch engagement/disengagement related? I knew you were having problems going into R but I don't believe synchros will whine like that. When I look at my crank pulley, I see a very slight wobble but the pulley actually runs true. It's the bolt head/washer that looks like it's wobbling very slightly. I'm hoping for a power steering pump in your case, hopefully not the trans.
Good luck man..
Old 05-14-2013, 12:31 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Black96WS6
Sorry to hear about that Frank, that sucks.

What about an '11+ Mustang GT? Slap a supercharger on it and call it a day?

Or a GT500 and just drive it stock? Plenty fast...or change the pulley slightly .

Or back into a C5Z, add a supercharger and call it a day?

Any of those options would give you a ridiculously fast car...
Thanks

Yea lots of stuff out there, so would be interesting to see what happens. I would probably go Ford or Dodge this time around, just can't see myself giving GM any more money. I am going to take a good hit if I sell the Vette, I don't owe that much, but to offset the cost of labor and a new trans, or fixing a crank bolt with labor, I will have to take some of the equity to pay for these repairs, but again I would rather do that and be rid of the car if thats what happens.

Originally Posted by JJC5
Wow Frank....really sorry to hear this. I know you were pumped with the head work that you just did and quite honestly, I took your lead and am considering doing the same to mine after the GMPP runs out in September. Another guy on here had a valve guide inspection done, was found out of tolerance and his extended warranty picked up the bill for new heads. I can do the same but I'm thinking that nothing will be fixed but just delayed, so I'd rather just have WCCH do it on my dime.
Is the whine possibly a throwout bearing? Is it at all clutch engagement/disengagement related? I knew you were having problems going into R but I don't believe synchros will whine like that. When I look at my crank pulley, I see a very slight wobble but the pulley actually runs true. It's the bolt head/washer that looks like it's wobbling very slightly. I'm hoping for a power steering pump in your case, hopefully not the trans.
Good luck man..
Thanks a lot there is so much it could be , I may get lucky and have it be a Power Steering issue or something, anything Trans related is big bucks. Yea not sure if the Reverse issues I was starting to have have something to do with this. ..I was looking at the pulley wobble this morning but was in a hurry and quite frankly that might just be in my head because I've had it happen before. other than the R gear, there are no other engagement issues (yet) or clutch problems from what I can tell.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM
keith954
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06, '13

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] More Z06 Woes....