C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZO6 exhaust on 2006 C6

Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ZO6 exhaust on 2006 C6

What would it take to install a ZO6 rear exhaust system on a 2006 C6? Is it a lot of work? Better question, is it worth it, in terms of power gained?

I have listened to all the sound bytes of the various aftermarket exhausts and haven't heard one I like.

I am looking for the V-8 burble at idle, and the high note exhaust found on cars like a Ferrari, at speed or on power. (If that is possible.)

Am I out of my mind?

Thanks!

MC
Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MCharlie
What would it take to install a ZO6 rear exhaust system on a 2006 C6? Is it a lot of work? Better question, is it worth it, in terms of power gained?

I have listened to all the sound bytes of the various aftermarket exhausts and haven't heard one I like.

I am looking for the V-8 burble at idle, and the high note exhaust found on cars like a Ferrari, at speed or on power. (If that is possible.)

Am I out of my mind?

Thanks!

MC
With no exhaust work done you will have to cut the Z06 mufflers where they drop down to 2-1/2"s. I had my work done for $150 but that was a hell of a deal since it involved a couple hours of work but I had it welded onto my 3" system.

Also you may want to install the NPP in a box for the bi mode option or just leave it open all the time.

It sounds good at idle and with my setup it has a nice sporty sound at high RPM but again I have a full 3" system with long tubes and no cats. It's all going to depend on your system.

I open the valves up at the end and hit on the throttle at the very end. Higher resolution sounds better.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:53 AM
hdff
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

from the research i have done to get a better sound and for it to bolt up with no pipe mods you need to get a NPP from a '08 or later car. the z06 bi mode exhaust is not as loud as the npp and is 3" pipe. i'm looking for a npp for my '06 now...
Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by hdff
from the research i have done to get a better sound and for it to bolt up with no pipe mods you need to get a NPP from a '08 or later car. the z06 bi mode exhaust is not as loud as the npp and is 3" pipe. i'm looking for a npp for my '06 now...
You can also get ZR1 mufflers and 12 and new Z mufflers for the better sound. I have ZR1 mufflers off a 11.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:05 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The Z06 exhaust diameter is 3". The base C6 exhaust diameter is 2.5". Unless you are doing the complete Z06 exhuast from the headers on back you will need to have an adapter welded in to go from 3" to 2.5". Just about any muffler shop can do this for you. If the deal you are looking at is good enough it may still pay to have you pick it all up and just use the Z06 mufflers. You can cut the pipe just before the muffler and then cut off your stock exhuast, have the adapter welded in to your stock exhaust and simply hang the new mufflers where your old ones were.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I have Z06 mufflers on my 06.. they wekded them together where they connect to the H pipe.. I also have the muffler mod done to the car,, this is a great set up with the muffler mod..I Was side by side with a friends car with corsa sports, and it sounded just as good.. mufler mod cost 170.00 muffler shopt work was 85.00 and hour.. very cheap to do ..... The complete z06 muffler and pipe fit under my 06 no cutting..
Ill be getting a new video soon to hear the mufflers in action..
you will also want the mild to wild switch for those days you dont want the loud exhaust

I have Z06 mufflers on my 06.. they wekded them together where they connect to the H pipe.. I also have the muffler mod done to the car,, this is a great set up with the muffler mod..I Was side by side with a friends car with corsa sports, and it sounded just as good.. mufler mod cost 170.00 muffler shopt work was 85.00 and hour.. very cheap to do ..... The complete z06 muffler and pipe fit under my 06 no cutting..
Ill be getting a new video soon to hear the mufflers in action..
you will also want the mild to wild switch for those days you dont want the loud exhaust

Last edited by ptroxx; 05-13-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Originally Posted by hdff
Only issue with NPP is the price difference. For me it was cheaper to weld a Z06 axleback on and still be able to get a NPP in a box kit for the price of a used NPP exhaust. The Z06 my not be as loud but it is great for performance.

Originally Posted by talon90
The Z06 exhaust diameter is 3". The base C6 exhaust diameter is 2.5". Unless you are doing the complete Z06 exhuast from the headers on back you will need to have an adapter welded in to go from 3" to 2.5". Just about any muffler shop can do this for you. If the deal you are looking at is good enough it may still pay to have you pick it all up and just use the Z06 mufflers. You can cut the pipe just before the muffler and then cut off your stock exhuast, have the adapter welded in to your stock exhaust and simply hang the new mufflers where your old ones were.
Z06 axlebacks are 3" up until they connect to the muffler itself where they narrow to 2.5". You can cut and weld directly onto the stock pipes without an adapter.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Here is a video of the Z6 mufflers in action with the muffler mod... Bit the best but you get the idea.. Silly me I should have closed the valves to see the difference...

Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I out of my mind?

Thanks!

MC
A full Z06 exhaust is probably going to cost you upwards to $2K for parts alone. It would ad between 12 to 16 hp. That burble you hear is sometimes attributed to the Z06's H pipe (which is 3" vs 2.5" on the LS2) but is probaby more attributable to the LS7 engine itself (although I hear it in my LS3 with NPP open though less pronounced than the LS7). As for the high "ferrari type" exhaust note? That's unlikely given any LS engine's cylinder bore.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rathmullan
A full Z06 exhaust is probably going to cost you upwards to $2K for parts alone. It would ad between 12 to 16 hp. That burble you hear is sometimes attributed to the Z06's H pipe (which is 3" vs 2.5" on the LS2) but is probaby more attributable to the LS7 engine itself (although I hear it in my LS3 with NPP open though less pronounced than the LS7). As for the high "ferrari type" exhaust note? That's unlikely given any LS engine's cylinder bore.
Where are you getting your Z06 full exhaust from for 2k...
they can be found all day long for 250-500 for everything but muffler and a muffler from 250-500 so the most would be like 1k if that..
I know of 3 set ups right now for Z06 manifolds,cats and h pipe for 250.00 I have been looking at this set up for months now and been thinking abot going this route on my C6 but no wthat I have done the muffler mod on my z06 muffler im ok for a little while now..
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 AM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

my old post might help, did this last yr
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-09-coupe.html
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Don't see a point to this at all. Just get a nice aftermarket system. 99% of them are good for 800+ rwhp applications.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Don't see a point to this at all. Just get a nice aftermarket system. 99% of them are good for 800+ rwhp applications.
For us in Ca its a smog issue most of the time.. most all headers are not Ca smog legal. but with the z06 set up you get a header type flow and a few extra hp while still being able to pass smog......
Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by ptroxx
For us in Ca its a smog issue most of the time.. most all headers are not Ca smog legal. but with the z06 set up you get a header type flow and a few extra hp while still being able to pass smog......
Well that makes tons more sense. I forget, those safe-haven bastions of liberalism don't mind giving away other people's money and killing fetuses, but a little carbon is a huge problem. Carry on with your emissions legal exhaust swap!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
For myself it was the cost. I really don't get why Vette exhaust is so overpriced. Sure the quality is there but there's plenty of other cars with the same material and quality at half the cost or less. The Vette tax strikes again!

I was able to buy and install my Z06 mufflers for a very low price and the fact I can open my valves to flow better with my supercharger and close them to quiet my car down when it's dark out.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

There are 2 new sets added of Z06 exhaust set up in the parts section today ... 200 and 250... FYI
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want your car to sound more European, I don't think you are going to like OEM dual-mode mufflers (Z06 or NPPs). I think there are some aftermarket systems that might be better for you.

Don't do any of these systems for a significant power gain. Just pick one for the sound you like.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 exhaust on 2006 C6

Old 08-15-2013, 05:41 PM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
If you want your car to sound more European, I don't think you are going to like OEM dual-mode mufflers (Z06 or NPPs). I think there are some aftermarket systems that might be better for you.

Don't do any of these systems for a significant power gain. Just pick one for the sound you like.
Should have answered this way back....The sound of the Z06 mufflers on my C6 is AWESOME. Exactly what I was looking (listening) for..nice burble at idle, head snapping sound on hard acceleration.

MC
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Charlie, you sent me a pm asking which x pipe to use?

Nothing "bolts" up to the base car.......

Unless you use the ENTIRE C6Z system(which can be found for 6-900)

What are you looking for me to answer as the above posts have got it mostly covered
Old 08-16-2013, 02:33 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
Charlie, you sent me a pm asking which x pipe to use?

Nothing "bolts" up to the base car.......

Unless you use the ENTIRE C6Z system(which can be found for 6-900)

What are you looking for me to answer as the above posts have got it mostly covered
The 2012 H (X??) pipe won't bolt up to the 2006 'headers'? Guess the only option then is to cut a 1.2" off the 2006 H pipe, reform the swedge, and move the Z06 muffler back that 1/2" I could just cut and weld too, but would prefer not to do that.

Thanks for the quick reply Steve!

MC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZO6 exhaust on 2006 C6