C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Dealers Trying To Drive Down C6 Prices

Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Gman22
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Dealers Trying To Drive Down C6 Prices

Wondering if anyone else thinks dealers are trying to drive down C6 trade in prices to hype the C7 sales? I went to a couple of Ford dealers yesterday to check on maybe trading in my 427 60th Aniversary edition for a Raptor. Because the vette is so new they had to make calls to several chevy dealers to get an idea of value.

At each ford dealership their GM told me the chevy dealers were afraid to give any type of value because they expect C7 sales to be high and with high C7 sales it would drive down the price on the C6s.

Now one reason I purchased this corvette was value retention. Based on what I am hearing right now because of the C7s I paid 95k for a limited edition car that Chevy is trying to devalue just to push its new C7 design that I thought most corvette owners didnt care for. I am saying this in jest but the Viper sure looks like a better investment based on what I have been hearing the last few days.

If this is the case and C6s are going to suffer for C7 hype ( Yes Not A Big Fan of C7 Design ) then maybe should just dump the 427 and make my next sports car purchase either a Viper or Shelby 500 Supersnake. /Rant Off...LOL
Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

No it happened when C6 arrived
Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Stealership will give any excuse to give you as little as possible for your trade no matter what. If you want real market value, sell it privately. Ebay seems to get the best prices. If you don't want the hassle, then just accept their low ball offer.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman22
At each ford dealership their GM told me the chevy dealers were afraid to give any type of value because they expect C7 sales to be high and with high C7 sales it would drive down the price on the C6s.
What C7?
First ones won't even be delivered until late Summer/early Fall.

More likely the Ford dealers were trying to get you braced for a double whammy. LOW trad-in $$ and MSRP for the Raptor -- because Raptor's are so rare. /sar

Have you considered selling private?
Private buyers lusting over owning such a beautiful one-of-kind rocketship like yours might not be able to pony-up for a new car& will actively seek slightly pre-owned cars minus depreciation, which then becomes affordable.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just think all dealers just play the 'Wholesale for retail" game regardless. You get wholesaled, and they get top retail. My local Corvette dealer here in FL. was saying C6 prices are rising not decreasing. Personally, I do not like the C7 style. I've read however, that a model for $52k is going to be made available. Don't know if it's rumor or not.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Gman22
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Stealership will give any excuse to give you as little as possible for your trade no matter what. If you want real market value, sell it privately. Ebay seems to get the best prices. If you don't want the hassle, then just accept their low ball offer.
Even through private you are seeing lower values than expected. Someone posted on another thread that they found one for 83k with 1k miles on it.

The ford dealerships didnt even make an offer. They said they couldnt because the Chevy dealers they spoke to could not give them a value because of the C7s coming out. So I was told since they are a Ford dealer and have no idea of the value and they knew this was a specialty model they couldnt make an offer.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Gman22
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jimmy52
I just think all dealers just play the 'Wholesale for retail" game regardless. You get wholesaled, and they get top retail. My local Corvette dealer here in FL. was saying C6 prices are rising not decreasing. Personally, I do not like the C7 style. I've read however, that a model for $52k is going to be made available. Don't know if it's rumor or not.
Im in Florida and this is where the information from the Chevy dealers was coming from.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Wondering if anyone else thinks dealers are trying to drive down C6 trade in prices to hype the C7 sales? I went to a couple of Ford dealers yesterday to check on maybe trading in my 427 60th Aniversary edition for a Raptor. Because the vette is so new they had to make calls to several chevy dealers to get an idea of value.

Now one reason I purchased this corvette was value retention. Based on what I am hearing right now because of the C7s I paid 95k for a limited edition car that Chevy is trying to devalue just to push its new C7 design that I thought most corvette owners didnt care for. I am saying this in jest but the Viper sure looks like a better investment based on what I have been hearing the last few days.

If this is the case and C6s are going to suffer for C7 hype ( Yes Not A Big Fan of C7 Design ) then maybe should just dump the 427 and make my next sports car purchase either a Viper or Shelby 500 Supersnake. /Rant Off...LOL
That seems high, what was the MSRP....
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy52
The base model without any options is priced at $51,995 including destination charge. That's $1400 more than the base price of the outgoing C6.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Gman22
Advanced

Just found this on Ebay. Mine was msrp at 95,900 this one on ebay is msrp at 93,025 and selling for 82,970. There is another one on ebay at 65k for the bid. So I am getting the impression that these limited edition vettes are not currently holding their value.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

You can't expect a car that is so new to hold its' value well...the biggest hit in depreciation is exactly the time period that you have chosen to own the car.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Just found this on Ebay. Mine was msrp at 95,900 this one on ebay is msrp at 93,025 and selling for 82,970. There is another one on ebay at 65k for the bid. So I am getting the impression that these limited edition vettes are not currently holding their value.
The pricing you are seeing is common and normal. On a 2013 loaded GS I was able to get over $12,000 off MSRP so I am sure you were able to do the same or better.
Take 12-13K off the MSRP of what you paid and deduct maybe another 8-10k for normal depreciation and that is about what your car is worth, maybe less because it is a higher cost car to start with.

You really didn't think you could get a killer deal off MSRP then drive it for awhile and sell it without losing money did you? I just hope you didn't buy it from a non forum dealer

Buy a car and try to sell it within the first year of ownership equals lose your *** off unless you trade it in on something VERY expensive.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 05-09-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Gman22
Advanced

Originally Posted by cclive
You can't expect a car that is so new to hold its' value well...the biggest hit in depreciation is exactly the time period that you have chosen to own the car.
I disagree this is not a Dodge Ram or Ford Pinto.. this was promoted as a limited edition specialty corvette. If I went out and bought a Shelby GT 500 Supersnake for 110k right now and went to sell it 6 months from now I bet I get 110k or more for it. My point is any specialty limited edition car that any dealer is selling should hold its value more than the same type model without the limited edition specialty tag.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Gman22
Advanced

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
The pricing you are seeing is common and normal. On a 2013 loaded GS I was able to get over $12,000 off MSRP so I am sure you were able to do the same or better.
Take 12-13K off the MSRP of what you paid and deduct maybe another 8-10k for normal depreciation and that is about what your car is worth, maybe less because it is a higher cost car to start with.

You really didn't think you could get a killer deal off MSRP then drive it for awhile and sell it without losing money did you? I just hope you didn't buy it from a non forum dealer

Buy a car and try to sell it within the first year of ownership equals lose your *** off unless you trade it in on something VERY expensive.
At the time I bought this one you were not getting any discounts here in Florida not to mention but this 60th Anniversary was hard to find. To be honest here in Florida they were charging market adjustments which I didnt have to pay because I know the GM of the dealership. I know he mentioned to me they got 8k more for the last one they sold similar to mine.

As for what I would be trading it for isnt very expensive but still 77k.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

A Raptor for $77K? Holy cow, how in the world could they even get the price in the low 50's?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 816 Likes on 385 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I disagree this is not a Dodge Ram or Ford Pinto.. this was promoted as a limited edition specialty corvette. If I went out and bought a Shelby GT 500 Supersnake for 110k right now and went to sell it 6 months from now I bet I get 110k or more for it. My point is any specialty limited edition car that any dealer is selling should hold its value more than the same type model without the limited edition specialty tag.
First lets look at it this way, all 2013 Corvette were 60 Anniversary cars. The 427 collector edition was available in the convertible any color and they would have the 60th Annversary badges like all of the 2013 models. The only special edition was PRO Z25 that came in the Artic White with the Silver/Blue pearl stripes. So there is going to be a depressation on the car as soon as you drive it off the lot. It will most likely hold a better resale value then say a base coupe without any options, but it is not going to hold the same value as you paid for it.

As for buying a Mustang Supersnake at $110K now and getting $110K six months from now, is not likely. Oh I guess you might find someone out there that might be will to pay that much, but if you decide in six months that you want to trade it in, the dealer will not give you what you paid for it. It is like any other car they are going to lose value the minute you drive it off the lot.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Keep in mind too that a dealer will use any line of reasoning that they can come up with to get your trade in at a great price. The cars that they buy from the manufacturer have a fixed price but the price they pay for trade-ins is variable and they will do all they can to make it low. They will tell you that your limited edition is meaningless and then turn around and tell a possible buyer that the limited edition is the greatest thing in the world. This is normal.

Get notified of new replies

To Are Dealers Trying To Drive Down C6 Prices

Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Gman22
Advanced

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
A Raptor for $77K? Holy cow, how in the world could they even get the price in the low 50's?
This is for a Raptor Roush with the 20k Roush package
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Gman22
Advanced

Originally Posted by BWF07
First lets look at it this way, all 2013 Corvette were 60 Anniversary cars. The 427 collector edition was available in the convertible any color and they would have the 60th Annversary badges like all of the 2013 models. The only special edition was PRO Z25 that came in the Artic White with the Silver/Blue pearl stripes. So there is going to be a depressation on the car as soon as you drive it off the lot. It will most likely hold a better resale value then say a base coupe without any options, but it is not going to hold the same value as you paid for it.

As for buying a Mustang Supersnake at $110K now and getting $110K six months from now, is not likely. Oh I guess you might find someone out there that might be will to pay that much, but if you decide in six months that you want to trade it in, the dealer will not give you what you paid for it. It is like any other car they are going to lose value the minute you drive it off the lot.
That is the one I have the PRO Z25. I have all options chevy offered on mine too many to list LOL.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

To answer the original question....yes they are. They are trying to drive down the price they pay for all trade-ins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Dealers Trying To Drive Down C6 Prices