C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Is Sting Ray Just A Fancy Name For "Base Model Corvette"?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So Is Sting Ray Just A Fancy Name For "Base Model Corvette"?

Since pricing is equal to the current base Corvette im guessing it is.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch2013C6
Since pricing is equal to the current base Corvette im guessing it is.
From what I've read, all Corvettes are Stingray's. Z51 and base. Also any new upcoming Z06 or whatever it is, will be a Stingray. (Z51 is not a model).
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My understanding was they felt that the term 'Base' was derogatory for a Corvette model and felt that giving it a name, in this case, Stingray, will help avoid the term 'Base' being used for the Corvette moving forward.

I guess this is no different from Porsche calling their Base 911s the 'Carrera', while leaving cars like the 911 Turbo and GT3 named just that.

So yes, I guess you could say it is a 'fancy name' for a base model.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:56 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

or it could be a mid-range model, saving the "base" name for the much speculated entry level Corvette.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, don't know where they came up with the name
Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Ed Welburn said the car has to many upgrades and to much equipment to just be called a "base" Corvette, and thats why they wanted to give it the Stingray name.

"Base" kinda makes people think of a "stripped down" car... The C7 is no way a "stripped down" car... It is loaded with upgrades and equipment.

No such car as a "base" Corvette any more.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will be interesting to see what they do with future models for sure. If they will have a Grand Sport replacement or will they just do an automatic and Convertible version of the Z06 and kill two birds with one stone?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 AM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

I get tired of the magazines and media referring to my C6 as "base", or whatever, but i guess thats what happens when you have so many models to chose from ("base", vert, GS, GS vert, Z06, ZR1).

Im kind of glad they brought back the Stingray name and it will be nice to have a Corvette Stingray, Corvette Z06(?), and Corvette ZR1(?). Good move on GM's part.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by z edge
I get tired of the magazines and media referring to my C6 as "base", or whatever, but i guess thats what happens when you have so many models to chose from ("base", vert, GS, GS vert, Z06, ZR1).

Im kind of glad they brought back the Stingray name and it will be nice to have a Corvette Stingray, Corvette Z06(?), and Corvette ZR1(?). Good move on GM's part.
I completely agree w. the above.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't really remember the org Stingray. ??? What was the line up than. Just 2 a
couple and vert or more. Too me they would all be StingRay, just different options
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge

"Base" is probably a no no in today's marketing and advertising lexicon.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

I certainly understand the negative connotations with the term "base" in marketing/advertising but it doesn't change the fact that it is still the base model. It doesn't matter how much content was added to the C7 or any other car, if it is the lowest/entry-level version of a particular model, then I still consider it a base model. I don't mean to be derogatory but it is what it is. The C7 is an amazing car, that has been hugely improved and loaded with standard content but the Stingray is still the base model compared to the Grand Sport, Z06, ZR1 or whatever hi-performance versions they might introduce in the future. So until GM releases the rumored V6 version, then the Stingray remains the C7 base model. Some of you are just too sensitive to the term "base".

The million dollar Bugatti Veyron is still a base model Veyron compared to the Super Sport and the countless other special versions but I would still be very happy to own the base model Veyron and C7 as well.

Be proud of what you own, even if it is a base model. For the record, I currently own a BMW 135i, which many would consider the base BMW but I love this car, it is a ton of fun to drive and I am very proud of my base BMW, even after receiving a ton of crap from family and friends about my "downgrade" from my previous 335i.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Its not about calling it a base model. Or the entry model. Or the cheapest model. Its about increasing the perceived value of the base C7, by giving it a name. GM figured out that people love to have some of name attached to their car. People who had a C6 Grand Sport.. called it a GS. People who owned a C6Z06.. called it a Z06. Those who owned the C6ZR1 called it a ZR1. What did C6 coupe owners call their car? The "base" coupe.. because there was no moniker attached to it. Yes it was still 100% Corvette but the base label devalued it in the eyes of the customer.

Thus for 2014.. you now have the Stingray. Calling the base car a "Stingray" successfully increases value of the name. It also instantly separates the C7 from the C6 lineup. If you ask someone did they get a new Corvette? They will now answer.. yes I bought a new "Stingray". They have already conveyed that the Corvette they own is not a C6 or otherwise previous generation.

Manufacturers know the value of specific car names vs. brand names. Acura for example changed the name of their vehicles so that owners would say they have an Acura.. vs saying they have a Integra or Vigor or Legend. Now that Acuras names are all ILX, TSX, RSX, etc.. people say they have an Acura. The same already happens with BMW & Mercedes. People do not say they have a 3 series or a C class.. they simply say they have a BMW or a Mercedes.

2014 C7 owners.. will now say they have a Stingray.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 05-08-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Ed Welburn said the car has to many upgrades and to much equipment to just be called a "base" Corvette, and thats why they wanted to give it the Stingray name.

"Base" kinda makes people think of a "stripped down" car... The C7 is no way a "stripped down" car... It is loaded with upgrades and equipment.

No such car as a "base" Corvette any more.
Exactly. It's the Corvette Stingray. How they will market the future variants is yet to be seen, but I imagine they will continue with the monikers that have proven successful thus far.

So next year we may have the "Stingray" and the "Z06" or the "ZR1". But no, there is no more "base" Corvette. Each car will be it's own entity with it's own characteristics. And of course, it's own price tag.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Funniest part about all the talk around not having a base car, was that they used the term base car a decent amount in the bash seminar videos when comparing it to the Z51.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Matt26
Funniest part about all the talk around not having a base car, was that they used the term base car a decent amount in the bash seminar videos when comparing it to the Z51.
Yeah, call it what you will, it's still the "base" car. What I find even a little more amusing, is that, as of right now, it's the "only" car (save for the Z51 option)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Exactly. It's the Corvette Stingray. How they will market the future variants is yet to be seen, but I imagine they will continue with the monikers that have proven successful thus far.

So next year we may have the "Stingray" and the "Z06" or the "ZR1". But no, there is no more "base" Corvette. Each car will be it's own entity with it's own characteristics. And of course, it's own price tag.
Unless things have changed, they may refer to the future variants as RPO engine codes..... although I think they tried that with "LT5" emblems in place of ZR-1 on the C4 version and they had to scrap it because of that rule. But Z06 happened under Sting Ray and ZR1 under Stingray, so I figure if they are staying true to the singular word theme, they will pull the ZR1 as the performance version.

Get notified of new replies

To So Is Sting Ray Just A Fancy Name For "Base Model Corvette"?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I will still call it a base car because it is easier to differentiate it from the Z51 in normal conversation and only has negative connotations if you let it.

I have a base car
I have a Z51

vs.

I have a Stingray
I have a Stingray with Z51
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt26
I will still call it a base car because it is easier to differentiate it from the Z51 in normal conversation and only has negative connotations if you let it.

I have a base car
I have a Z51

vs.

I have a Stingray
I have a Stingray with Z51
The only thing with that is Z51 it isn't a total revision as to deviate from the standard Corvette. It's not the total package options such as Z06 and ZR1. I think that's why all the C6 guys with their Z51 badges get so much flak. Mentioning the Z51 option would be an afterthought. I just can't accept Z51 as a stand alone like Z06 or ZR1.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 05-08-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Unless things have changed, they may refer to the future variants as RPO engine codes..... although I think they tried that with "LT5" emblems in place of ZR-1 on the C4 version and they had to scrap it because of that rule. But Z06 happened under Sting Ray and ZR1 under Stingray, so I figure if they are staying true to the singular word theme, they will pull the ZR1 as the performance version.
They could revert to the RPO engine codes, if, the engines are are placed in the same chassis. However, from some of the info coming from the bash about future tire sizes, it seems that there may be a wider body, as the C6 did. If this happens, then it turns it into it's own car thus moniker. I think they are just finding marketing and branding easier and probably more effective by differentiating the cars as a whole package. But "Stingray" markets much better than "base".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So Is Sting Ray Just A Fancy Name For "Base Model Corvette"?