C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screw in rear tire

Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Screw in rear tire

Went for a drive today, came home and parked it to check the oil, since the oil temp finally exceeded 175. As I walk behind the car, I notice a perfect silver circle on the left rear. Sure enough, a screw right in the middle of heavy tread. I got my needlenose out, and pulled the screw, hoping it was short, and not thru the tire...Psssssssssss. Oh well, got a plug out of the toolbox, and stopped the leak. 1400 miles on them, guess no high speed driving in it, until a change of tires. If I understand correctly, the speed rating is now toast.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Drive at any speed you want. Plug will hold for a long time if done right. I've driven on plugs for a the remaining life of tires before & never had a problem. I had to plug one 1 of my C6 tires too. Drove fine at all speeds.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

That is how I would handle it. No sustained high speed driving on that ti re. By high speed I mean over 100 mph.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:20 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I just plugged it myself, it was in the center of the tire, and in the middle of the widest tread. My wife says...Couldn't you have driven around it? Uh, if I could have seen the 1" bastard, with a head the size of a pencil, then yeah
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JLB768
My wife says...Couldn't you have driven around it? Uh, if I could have seen the 1" bastard, with a head the size of a pencil, then yeah
Yeah, what the heck is wrong with you? I ran over screws on two separate occasion....but at least I was aiming for them!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:42 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fix it right, my friend.........

even then...the speed rating is gone. The tire is what passed the ECE 30/SAE speed rating test prior to production.. a repair has not been certified.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I disagree with Wolfdogs above. I think the plug is fine...even though there is no tire manufacturer that says so. Wolfdogs is a former US Government tire engineer, so there is no reason to think that he would know the best way to repair a tire. The car is not a high performance car and neither is the tire a high performance tire.
The important thing is to do what is easy and fast and may ultimately work well enough. The plug will probably hold air and probably won't damage the tire...which is plenty good enough.
In spite of what every tire manufacturer and our own retired tire engineer say, it will probably be fine to just plug it.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I disagree with Wolfdogs above. I think the plug is fine...even though there is no tire manufacturer that says so. Wolfdogs is a former US Government tire engineer, so there is no reason to think that he would know the best way to repair a tire. The car is not a high performance car and neither is the tire a high performance tire.
The important thing is to do what is easy and fast and may ultimately work well enough. The plug will probably hold air and probably won't damage the tire...which is plenty good enough.
In spite of what every tire manufacturer and our own retired tire engineer say, it will probably be fine to just plug it.

I can only assume this a joke response that's not very funny.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Sarcasm noted.......!!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
Drive at any speed you want. Plug will hold for a long time if done right. I've driven on plugs for a the remaining life of tires before & never had a problem. I had to plug one 1 of my C6 tires too. Drove fine at all speeds.
Personally, a hole plugged only on the outside of a tire is not a tire I would trust at high speed. Certainly not at speeds over 100.

If you remove the tire from the wheel and plug it, I would trust it in normal driving but I'd sill be antsy about seriously high speeds at the track.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I've had the same experience. Never a problem with plugs as long as they're installed properly.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe

I can only assume this a joke response that's not very funny.
Not a joke, sarcasm.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
fix it right, my friend.........

even then...the speed rating is gone. The tire is what passed the ECE 30/SAE speed rating test prior to production.. a repair has not been certified.
I worked at a Union 76 gas station when I was a youngster and plugged a lot of tires that incorrect way.....
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FlyerVette
Sarcasm noted.......!!
There are people here on the forum who really love the C6. Some spend hours and hours waxing in the garage. Some spend time polishing tailpipes and some even go under the car and clean and inspect the undercarriage. I just can't understand how, in spite of what every entity that knows anything about tires advises, people still plug a tire from the outside and say that it is good enough. It's not. There are 90 year olds who are fine despite smoking all their lives..."never had a problem". Does this mean that smoking is OK? Same thing here. Repairing a tire the wrong way is dangerous and the fact that someone has done it and "never had a problem" doesn't change that fact.
After hearing this line over and over again, the sarcasm leaks out...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by iclick
I've had the same experience. Never a problem with plugs as long as they're installed properly.
Agree but, it all depends on how it was 'plugged' and the type of 'plug' used. Some plugs are just that, a bullet looking rubber plug, some plugs are long skinny strings that have to be soaked in glue and shoved in the hole. Others, and the best in my opinion, based on five successful 'plugs' on the rears of high HP sport bikes, is the short and fat glue impregnated worm that comes in Genuine Innovations tire repair kits. They are found online and are available in lots of outlets. Of course, I wouldn't think of holding the manufacturer liable for running them at speed. I have however, exceeded the speed limits on repaired tires and none of them have ever leaked or caused any drama. I believe that over time and heat cycles (mileage) the plug vulcanizes to the tire. Remember too that you can never tell in advance just how bad the cord has separated due usually to the type of object that punctured the tire. Large or crooked/serrated edged objects tear up the cord much more than a simple nail or small screw. You can fix the air leak but the tire can still be comprised. Even with FS WO RFs,I carry a G.I. repair kit. If I pick up a nail in the middle of Monument Valley or Montana I'd rather try to plug it than be at the mercy of a tire shop that probably doesn't have the tire I need in stock anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Get notified of new replies

To Screw in rear tire

Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Madfence
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Patch it from the inside done, then get a new one and use the patched one as a back-up because no one stocks them...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I worked at a Union 76 gas station when I was a youngster and plugged a lot of tires that incorrect way.....

It's OK - you didn't know any better way back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth . . .
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
It's OK - you didn't know any better way back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth . . .
Almost, way back in the 70's

The days of full service...fill it up, check the oil, clean the windows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screw in rear tire