C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 PM
packkrs
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Light Problem

I have a C6 convertible and just replaced the trunk lights with LED lights and tapped into the same wire to install an LED light strip. The lights worked fine initially but soon after installation, when I open the trunk, the strip will not light and the two LED bulbs light but they are very dim. However, if I close the trunk, open the car door, and then open the trunk, the strip lights up and the LED bulbs are bright as intended. Is there anything I can do to make them light correctly without having to open the door first? Thank you!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Try pressing unlock on the fob prior to opening the trunk and see if the lights are OK then. I have a similar issue with my coupe and this solves it.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 PM
packkrs
3rd Gear

What a great idea! I'll give it a try as soon as I get home and let readers know if it works. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I also changed my trunk light to LEDs. I saw the same dim LEDS upon opening the trunk. If I had to guess this is what i think is going on.
First thing.
a) Nothing is wrong with the LEDS.
b) Nothing is wrong with your car.

This is ONLY my guess.
Your car has a built in circuit which saves the battery. After a preset time the car automatically shut down power to systems within the car which might accidentally drain the battery. Opening your car doors resets that circuit.

The current needed to power the LEDs is far less than whats needed to power the older bulbs you replaced. The car might be in that battery saver mode upon opening the trunk.

I noticed my trunk LEDs are dim ONLY after the car sits for about 25 mins and I open the trunk first. Once I open the doors the LEDs jump back bright. They stay bright for about 20 to 25 mins.

You are OK
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 AM
packkrs
3rd Gear

To gp56 and Reggied,

The suggestion gp56 provided solves the issue! I also agree with Reggied that it makes sense that this is likely a circuit to save battery life.

I greatly appreciate the quick responses from both of you to help me solve this formerly frustrating issue!

packkrs
Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 AM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad your frustrations are over!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:34 PM
06blackvert
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Reggied,
I am switching out the bulbs in the trunk of my convertible. Do you remember if this was an easy or pia install? I did the back up lights and the license plate lights last night.

Thanks,

Tony

Originally Posted by Reggied
I also changed my trunk light to LEDs. I saw the same dim LEDS upon opening the trunk. If I had to guess this is what i think is going on.
First thing.
a) Nothing is wrong with the LEDS.
b) Nothing is wrong with your car.

This is ONLY my guess.
Your car has a built in circuit which saves the battery. After a preset time the car automatically shut down power to systems within the car which might accidentally drain the battery. Opening your car doors resets that circuit.

The current needed to power the LEDs is far less than whats needed to power the older bulbs you replaced. The car might be in that battery saver mode upon opening the trunk.

I noticed my trunk LEDs are dim ONLY after the car sits for about 25 mins and I open the trunk first. Once I open the doors the LEDs jump back bright. They stay bright for about 20 to 25 mins.

You are OK
Old 03-17-2015, 04:01 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 06blackvert
Hey Reggied,
I am switching out the bulbs in the trunk of my convertible. Do you remember if this was an easy or pia install? I did the back up lights and the license plate lights last night.
Thanks,
Tony
You revived an old thread so the original OP might not respond. The trunk lights are easy to replace. The footwell lights are a little tuffer. The rearview mirror lights are easy...once you get the old bulbs out. I used needle nose pliers with double stick tape to grab the bulbs, others have used fishing line to lasso the bulbs. Frustrating, but doable.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:46 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
You revived an old thread so the original OP might not respond. The trunk lights are easy to replace. The footwell lights are a little tuffer. The rearview mirror lights are easy...once you get the old bulbs out. I used needle nose pliers with double stick tape to grab the bulbs, others have used fishing line to lasso the bulbs. Frustrating, but doable.
Did the same and agree....only diff for me was I used duck tape to pull the rearview mirror bulbs out of the sockets...worked great!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM
frytex
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed out my back license plate lights now when the lights are on I notice that the lights go off and on I pulled them out and saw that it is only 1 or 2 led lights on the bulb doing it. I saw the same thing on a truck last night. The lights will not stay on they flicker and bling and then all the way on again and then flicker some more. anyone have a fix for that issue.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by frytex
I changed out my back license plate lights now when the lights are on I notice that the lights go off and on I pulled them out and saw that it is only 1 or 2 led lights on the bulb doing it. I saw the same thing on a truck last night. The lights will not stay on they flicker and bling and then all the way on again and then flicker some more. anyone have a fix for that issue.
Some of the LEDs are bad. Intermittent. Purchase another set. That is one of the issues working with LEDs.

Get notified of new replies

To LED Light Problem

Quick Reply: LED Light Problem