C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many gallons of coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many gallons of coolant?

I have a 350 block and the BBC radiator. I put on a Be Kool high volume pump and now I have over heating problems. I pulled the new 180 stat and with 1/8 inch holes I drilled to get air bubbles out and put it in hot water and it opens at 180.

I put in 2 1/2 gallons of anti and distilled water. Within 8 miles it was puking out and 240 degrees.

The radiator was new last year. I was just thinking that the old pump needed a change out. I never had a problem before the pump change.

These BeKool is just a iron body with I would guess a bigger impeller.

My friend though that maybe it is not full with an air bubble in the block or something
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 AM
UDRIVESLOW
Racer

advance auto parts has this avail for rent at most locations. Uview Airlift Cooling Tester Part No. UVU550000

its close to what we have at the dealer to suck all the air out of the engine/radiator and refill. that's the best way to get air out...
you can also check the radiator with a infrared thermometer to check if you have hot spots...

also don't over look the basics..... radiator cap and fan clutch......also those damn garbage bags that always get sucked up into the radiator.....
Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 AM
Lt1er
Drifting

I drained it last fall. No problems last year. The only change was new fluids and water pump. I just don't know if the level was full or is the new pump bad.

If 2.5 is full. I will just buy a stewart stage 2
Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If your radiator cap isn't sealing and creating pressure in the system it will cause those symptoms.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 AM
Bagmup
Instructor

Sounds like an airlock to me. A trick i use when i'm away from the workshop, is grab a softdrink bottle, cut the base off, wrap some electrical tape around the threaded bit until it's a tight fit in your radiator. With the bottle firmly in the neck of the radiator, fill the system slowly, squeezing the top hose to burp the air out.

Keep filling until the bottle is half full, start the engine and run it until the thermostat opens, all the while keeping the bottle half full. What this does is keep the water higher than the engine, forcing air up through the radiator and out the bottle.

Another way is to remove the thermostat housing and thermostat and slowly fill the block first, then replace the thermo and housing onto the intake. Make sure you fill slowly, to avoid air traps. Good luck
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you had no problems last year, why did you install a "high volume" pump on it?
The following users liked this post:
Eliredandblack (03-09-2019)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:25 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I have a small block and an L82 size radiator, 4 row I guess. The engine is out of the car. I collected every drop of coolant from the system, including the block and it totalled 4 gallons. That's without the heater or hoses since I don't use them.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Stock copper/brass radiators fill to within 1" of the bottom of the fill neck. They require an air space for expansion.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

This is probably a longshot, but are you sure the new water pump is not a reverse rotation pump? I mean, everything was fine, then you changed the water pump, and now there is a problem. That doesn't guarantee that the water pump is the problem, but it's the obvious place to start.

Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 04-30-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you had no problems last year, why did you install a "high volume" pump on it?
I hate it when I fix something that's not broke and it ends up broke when I am done.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

Seriously...high volume water pumps are only necessary for specific conditions and reasons. Cooling systems are designed as a system where all parts are supposed to work in concert to maintain optimum cooling efficiency within an expected environment. Installing a high volume water pump where it's not needed moves liquid through the system too fast to adequately cool as it passes through the radiator. Simply put, the coolant isn't in the radiator long enough for proper heat exchange to occur.

The same water pump can often be used in various versions of the same engine and in various vehicles with differing options. Different diameter pulleys are used depending on the application to maintain that optimum cooling performance.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
That good question. I was detailing under the hood and decided to just put in a new nicely painted pump in preparation for a 3500 mile trip.

If the system takes 4 gallons without a heater I have to figure out how to get more in......

It is not a reverse flow pump, But I did say screw it and I just installed the Stewart stage II aluminum. My gaskets need to let the sealant dry before I refill it. $169 or so from Summit racing. I semi polished it on a wire wheel and it really looks nice.

I will give the results later
Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt1er
That good question. I was detailing under the hood and decided to just put in a new nicely painted pump in preparation for a 3500 mile trip.

If the system takes 4 gallons without a heater I have to figure out how to get more in......

It is not a reverse flow pump, But I did say screw it and I just installed the Stewart stage II aluminum. My gaskets need to let the sealant dry before I refill it. $169 or so from Summit racing. I semi polished it on a wire wheel and it really looks nice.

I've used the Stage2 many times, great pump.
Jack up the front a bit if you feel it's necessary, fill the rad and the overflow bottle and run till hot. It may take a couple of heat/cool cycles to purge all the air out. You can also loosen the heater hose on the manifold to help purge when filling.
The following users liked this post:
GeoDron82vette (10-24-2016)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice! Anything cast iron that you replace with aluminum is a step in the right direction!

Scott
Old 05-01-2013, 11:53 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

get one of these to fill your radiator. best $30 you'll ever spend. fill it up, let it runn til the thermostat opens. when it does the coolant level will drop in the funnel. top it off and put the excess in your overflow.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...sle_22970131-p
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

One foolproof method of filling the system is, with the car level, remove the radiator cap and remove the thermostat and water neck. Pour the coolant into the intake manifold where the tstat would be. The level will fill the manifold and the top of the rad at the same time.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

So... How'd it work out? and of course you know we need pictures or there isn't an aluminum water pump on your motor

Get notified of new replies

To How many gallons of coolant?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

My camera is no good and I had to ask a forum member to make it available to show on this forum.

The picture doesn't show how nice it looks . I also put anti- seize on the blue plugs. That is as far as they go in.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Cool, looks good. Now finish the install and test her out
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Stock copper/brass radiators fill to within 1" of the bottom of the fill neck. They require an air space for expansion.

Please allow me to disagree.
The radiator/engine is designed to be COMPLETELY full all the time. Any expansion goes into the overflow bottle, which should always contain enough water to cover the connecting hose end. This eliminates all air from the coolant passages, and slows any oxidation.
On an intial fillup, fill the radiator completly, and install the radiator cap. Fill the overflow bottle to "full hot". The next few heatup/cooldown cycles will "burp" out any air from the system. Turn on the heat, as well, to purge any air out of the heater core. Keep an eye on it, and top off as necessary.

Last edited by gcusmano74; 05-01-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: How many gallons of coolant?