C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any family men out there with a vette?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Any family men out there with a vette?

I want a vette but I think the feasibility of owning one will not work with my lifestyle because I will never have a chance to drive it. I have a 1 and 4 year old and I need to take the 1 year old to school everyday so that means I would need a daily beater for my daily driving. During the weekends I'm mostly with the family so my seat time would also be limited in the vette.

Is it just not my time to own a 2 seater?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:11 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

All about money to spare, if you can swing a Vette and a family type car you are good. If not, well I guess you will have to wait on the sidelines for awhile.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
pleadingbark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No time like the present? However a cts-v is a good option to consider
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
LS14ME2
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sshu
I want a vette but I think the feasibility of owning one will not work with my lifestyle because I will never have a chance to drive it. I have a 1 and 4 year old and I need to take the 1 year old to school everyday so that means I would need a daily beater for my daily driving. During the weekends I'm mostly with the family so my seat time would also be limited in the vette.

Really depends on your ability to afford several cars or not... If you can, get one and call it your "toy"....have a DD for the other menial tasks.. If you cant afford it..take care of family duties first and get one when you can afford it... really up to your finances..
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

In terms of budget, I want to spend under 60k for my next car. I can use my current office beater so I don't need to actually purchase a third car.

If I got a 4 seater like a CTS-V or C63 it would be driven a lot more but it's not something I really want. My first choices are a 2009 997 S or a C7 vette. The P-car is too showy for work and the C7 is only a 2 seater. I can get something I really want that won't be driven or get something I would like but not love but drive it a lot more.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM
jtjohn1
Instructor

Originally Posted by sshu

Only need to take one to day care/school??

Can do

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...eat-in-c6.html

Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

life is short just get the vette
my 7 year old boy tyler loves the corvettes
we go to all the vette shows together and
mom stays home to watch the dog
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a 7 yo boy and the other boy will be 4 in July. I have my Vette and the wife has an '09 Acadia...that is a total of 9 seats for 4 people...winning.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM
jtjohn1
Instructor

Also winning if you tell the wife that while your taking BOTH kids somewhere SHE would get to drive the 'vette.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Run N. Gun
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My boys are 12 and 14 and typically have to be in two different places, more often than not. I kept my Acura TL (paid for) as a daily driver and bought the Vette for my fun car. The last 14 years have been all about committing time to their activities and this year it was time for me to finally get back into my old hobby, Car Shows and Corvettes.

In a little over a year, my oldest will get his permit and I will teach him how to drive a manual transmission corvette, how to change the oil, routine maintenance, detail it, etc. I figure if my sons can drive a manual car with lots of horsepower, they can drive anything.

We decided the Vette would be fun for the whole family!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Drove Corvettes since 1970 oldest daughter was born in 1974 youngest in 1979. No problems here but wife drove a Monte Carlo or Monte Carlo ss or buick Grand National,SS Impala rear wheel drive. In those days one rode in pass seat and one in back if needed in emergency. Oh and vette was my daily driver no other car.
z51vett
Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jtjohn1
Also winning if you tell the wife that while your taking BOTH kids somewhere SHE would get to drive the 'vette.

I would let her drive the thing but she NEVER has...not even once. "It's your baby," she tells me, "and I would feel like crap if I did anything to screw it up." My God what a reasonable wife, huh?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I had same issue when my girls were same age as yours. Didn't have the money or space to be a three car family. Gave up the vette. Given my situation, it was the right thing to do. Now all 4 kids are grown and I'm getting a C7. It has been a long wait, but worth it.
Good Luck. Being a parent ain't easy.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Billb0872
Instructor

I have a 6 and and 8 year old, I do have a 2003 pathfinder with 155k miles on it for when I need it. The vette works perfectly when driving my self to work (80 percent of my driving), or when I am with one other family member. I take it to BJs/Costco and can easily put $500 worth of groceries in it. My wife pushed back at first but then gave in. At this point, it is absolutely fine, it works just like any other nice car would. I use the pathfinder when ever we bring the dog or whenever the kids are dirty (softball/soccer). The kids love going in the vette, and ask to go in it whenever we go anywhere.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
vettn71
Pro

I've had a Vette since my youngest son was 2. I drove a Vette, the wife drove a grocery getter van or whatever. Most people have two cars. Nif I had to shuttle the kids, she drove the Vette. All in how you work it out

Jim
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I bought one with 3 kids, younger ones were 4 at the time, I didn't wait 'cause I ain't getting any younger!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Im only 33 and I consider myself extremely lucky to have an 09Z06; if it were not for a work take home car, and buying my moms buick century for my winter car, theres no way I could swing it. Married and two kids btw...............

Get notified of new replies

To Any family men out there with a vette?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I say if your wife is fine with you driving the one year old to day care in the vette...your good to go..

Otherwise if I were you with two young kids? I'd probably get the next generation Evos based mustang or the camaro ZL1 or most probably a CTS V ...

Thats an awesome two or four door and its a kick @ss ride..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Run N. Gun
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
I had same issue when my girls were same age as yours. Didn't have the money or space to be a three car family. Gave up the vette. Given my situation, it was the right thing to do. Now all 4 kids are grown and I'm getting a C7. It has been a long wait, but worth it.
Good Luck. Being a parent ain't easy.
Roger that! Patience/timing is key. I waited 20 years to get another, due to putting wife through Engineering school, etc. It was the right thing to do, no regrets at all!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM
mile-0
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember my first Vette back in 1988, it was a '77, and I had two sons, one 15 and one 9. My now ex wife said "this car is so impractical, it only has two seats"! I promptly replied..."yes, dear, and that's one too many". Poof, ex-wife! Actually, it was just a toy, something for my (and occasionally our) enjoyment, but she never really got it. My oldest son was into it, drove that car to his senior prom, and a lot of other times too. I have a book full of happy memories from those days working on that olda vette with my sons. Well, here I am 25 Years and 6 corvettes later, and still thankful I had a really harmless passion that was a significant part of my relationship with my oldest son. My new wife drives an '05 Z-51 coupe as her DD, the biggest hurdle after paying for the Vette is making sure your lady is into it, but be careful, you may find yourself home with the kids a lot more!

Remember, life is short and unpredictable. A Vette makes Saturday errands a joy, and is probably the best antidepressant available. Hmmm...I wonder if my doc will prescribe a 427 vert for me and see how my insurance carrier will respond....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any family men out there with a vette?