C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What options are worth the money?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Default What options are worth the money?

OK, I'll admit that I'm into performance and put more value on things that make the car perform better, but from my viewpoint some of the options are a better value than others. Lets not worry about what it costs GM, or how much profit they will make. I'm talking about value to me as the one who is laying out the cash. I pretty much decided what I was getting before the prices came out, and I was pleasantly surprised that the options I want seem to have good value for the money.

Start right out with the trim packages

1LT - maybe the best deal, but who wants a stripper Corvette?

2LT - $4210 I think it's a good deal. You get a lot of features for the money. Some still don't realize the new 2LT is basically the same as the old 3LT. Some of the main things: HUD, heated and vented memory seats, theft deterrent, home remote, added color in interior.

3LT - $8005 More luxury than anything. You get the NAV, NAPA leather (only on the seats), Leather wrapped dash-doors-console, and "Intrument Panel in Interior Seat Color" whatever that is. I'm not buying it. For the $3795 over the 2LT I can get two good performance options (see below) and have change left over.

Z51 Option - $2800 - Lets face it, you get a lot for your money. Many predicted it would run $5-6K over the base. I'm sure a bunch of people who have no intension of tracking the car will purchase the option. Bigger specific wheels and the rear spoiler make it recognizable, something the old Z51 wasn't (fender badges anyone).

FE4 Magnetic Selective ride - $1795 - Go back a few years and this was not a great deal. On the C7 you also get Performance Traction management. This is the Gen 4 system that can make the C7 handle as good as anything out there (think ZL1, ZR1). The new system should even give a much better ride in tour mode, something the old system never really delivered on. It's a performance value, I'm getting it.

NPP Variable Tuned Performance Exhaust - $1195 - As stated in the order guide - "increases Horsepower (TBD)" - Even if it's only 6-10 more than normal, it's worth it. Add in the better sound, and the likelyhood that it will be configurable with the mode select switch, and it's a good deal.

Some others:
Competition Sport Buckets - $1995 - Seems about the right price, if you're a track junky and go more than twice a year.

Sueded Microfiber Seat Inserts - $395 - If you like the feel of it, that's not a bad price (not for me though).

IL6 - Carbon Fiber Dash trim - $995 - Yes it's real, and this stuff is not cheap to make. Still seems like a lot of money. At $595 I would like it better. I would like to see some better photos of the stock dash to see what I really get for my money.

Here's some options that I think are overpriced:

CC3 Transparent Roof - $995 - Some love them, I think GM should discount the car if you get it. Instead of a Carbon Fiber Roof, you get a transperent one. (add another $1000 if you want both).

C2Z Visible Carbon Fiber Roof - $1995 - OK, it's the most expensive clear coat GM has even used. I'll take the painted roof. For that kind of upcharge I can live with knowing that it's Carbon Fiber underneath, I don't need to show it off.

QX3 Chrome Wheels - $1995 - Lets face it, you can get some decent aftermarket wheels for about that, and still have your stock wheels to sell. They are durable and look good (old school maybe), so it's not the worst way to spend the money, just not the best.

PIN Customer Selectable VIN ending - $5000 - Talk about a waste of money.

D30 Color Combination Overide - $590 - The penalty you pay for building your Corvette ugly. Then again look at the combinations - You can put an Adrenaline Red interior in a Laguna Blue car, but not Night Race Blue without the fee. Huh?

Well, these are my opinions. I'm prepared to hear how wrong some of you think I am. Who knows, maybe you can convince me that there is value that I missed. There are some options I didn't comment on, feel free to join in with your opinion. If you don't care, and will build your car the way you want regardless of price, you need to find another thread.

My Order:
Torch Red Z51 Coupe, Adrenaline Red interior, 2LT, NPP, FE4 $61,995
Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 220 Posts

Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Davidl81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No flames here, I think you make valid points on all of your topics.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Excellent assessment.

I still don't understand the interior differences of 2LT and 3LT. I'd have to see the materials.

But I do like the two tone dash if that comes with 3LT. Worth 3 grand? Probably not.

I don't like micro fibre at all (it's polyester!) so I won't be getting that.

Nav I think is the biggest question after 2 or 3LT decisions.

I think the brake caliper painting is questionable pricing given you can paint the entire car metallic paint for only $400 more. I personally think the painted "show me!" caliper thing is over done now. Black is fine with me.

Wheels? Better to get something you like in the aftermarket.

What strikes me the most is that this car is a terrific value. It's going to replace my aging Maserati Spider I bought in 2001. I paid exactly $100K for it. It has 390 Hp (which was a lot at the time) and was fully loaded.

My new Vette convertible coming next year? About $72K.

That, to me, is a steal.

Last edited by Sin City; 04-29-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

The only option that interests me is the Z51 and MSRC. I initially wanted the comp seats but since I'm that much of a track junky and the stock seats look supportive I'm going to pass on them. I'm undecided on the npp exhaust. For some reason I don't really care about any of the luxury options.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Update to the Order Guide - Adrenaline Red is not going to be available in the Laguna Blue.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Zymurgy

Update to the Order Guide - Adrenaline Red is not going to be available in the Laguna Blue.
But I bet you can get it if you pay the $590 (D30) Color Combination Overide.

Of course you will cuss at yourself for ever getting that combo come selling time ... and there are no buyers to be found.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Z51 MRC NPP competition seat 1 LT

Torch red black
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 PM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Z51, MSRC, and that's it.

Aftermarket long tubes headers are a much better buy than the exhaust option. (30+ torque and HP)
Guys are running 9's in the 1/.4 mile with stock mufflers.
An aftermarket installed tablet (Android, Apple, etc), or even just an Android phone, will blow away any "infotainment and navigation" from OEMs.
You can always buy an ADDITIONAL aftermarket seat(s) and you can have a local auto interior guy wrap your entire interior in leather or Alcantara for a H#LL of a lot less than $8,000.

Save you money for a supercharger or the next Corvette model that get's DCT and AWD like the C7 should have from jump.

Last edited by 427 C5; 04-29-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

1LT Z51 with MRSC and Black Wheels for me.

Painted Calipers are a little steep at $600, at $1-200 I would be a buyer. Caliper paint kits are $50

2LT would be nice for the ventilated seats (if they work well), the auto-dimming mirrors, and HUD, but those options are not worth $4210 to me.

HUD and the auto dimming mirrors can be added later if it is anything like the C6. So the only thing I would miss is the heated/vented seats.

I like to tinker/mod so those above additions don't bother me.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:59 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 520 Posts

Base 1LT NPP and that's it for me. Would like to have dimming mirrors like my 12 1LT but guess they had to cut something to get that price point.

The 1LT is hardly a stripper.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

My justifications:

Z51: No brainer

2LT: Options I like bundled together for a good price

Nav: I like all the informant system tools

Suede inserts: I think I want them but then I worry about the cleaning and maintenance

MSRC: No question. Must have for me

NPP: Will I be able to get an aftermarket system for $1,200 that's a lot better? that's the real question

Black wheels: With a black on Kalahari setup, the black wheels will looks menacing

The rest of the items don't appeal to me.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Every option is worth the money. If they were not very few would buy them. Visible carbon fibre roof looks fantastic IMO. I have a visible carbon fibre briefcase made by Simpson which always draws compliments. Making visible carbon fibre and protecting it from weather and sun is difficult and expensive.
Bottom line is options are a matter of personal opinion and their value really can not be judged by anyone but the person buying the car..
Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 PM
vankenn
Instructor

Any chance they will discount when u add many many options lol? My configuration is now $75k+
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 PM
vankenn
Instructor

And why would u have to pay up to $1k extra for a selected tint coat paint color?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,428 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I like what the 3LT has to offer, but it does carry a significant price step.

I'd gladly pay extra for a fixed roof option, but I know that's not in the cards.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

All of them are worth the money, depending on who you ask.

We are all individuals, thus we like different things. One guy may want a fully loaded car because thats what he considers the best Vette experience.. while another guy may be a purist and want nothing added to the base car. Either way, buy what YOU want.. and at the end of the day YOU will be happy. That matters more than anything we think.

My spec'd car would be:
2LT
Z51
MRC + PTC
NAV

Get notified of new replies

To What options are worth the money?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Z51: Getting a ton for your money
NPP: Better sound, better performance, relatively inexpensive, covered by warranty
FE4: People seem to swear by this
NAV: I live near San Francisco; nav is required on those spaghetti streets
Black wheels: Completes the look of my car
Red Calipers - Waste, but I want it factory complete
2LT: This is my daily driver, I want some niceities - and I dont like suede nor do I think 3LT is reasonable given what it provides at such cost over 2LT.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by vankenn
And why would u have to pay up to $1k extra for a selected tint coat paint color?
Because that is what GM charges for certain paint colors.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Rkvoss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nav at $800

The nav sounds ok compared to legacy pricing in general, but not against a new portable unit or a smartphone.
What irks me is that all the hardware seems to be already there - screen, GPS and antenna for OnStar. So is the price just for the software?
I've read all the posts on the pros and cons for having factory nav, and I fall into the camp that believes any high end car should have this built in - but probably not for $800 unless there is something I have not picked up on.
Also I wonder if someone has or will have a way to port to the screen thru the USB off a portable satnav?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What options are worth the money?