Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR

Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR

First, sorry no pics or video, just a good story. Also, this was on a private road, not public highway.

Found a 2014 (temp tag still on the back) GTR. My car is lightly modd'ed 2006 Z with a Torquer cam (stock manifold). Makes around 515-530rwhp.

We lined up around 20mph, lifted fingers and counted to 1-2-3, then BAM. It was GTR for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I pulled a good 10 car lengths. It was not even a contest.

Then later in the day, I pull into my house and what comes around the corner, but the same GTR, I waived and he pulled over. Apparently his nephew is my neighbor. Very nice guy and fellow car enthusiast. We had a nice conversation. Long story short, he says jump in. We go for a quick ride and all I can say is that I was not impressed. The acceleration didn't feel faster than a stock Z06 let alone mine with the Torquer Cam. Car was very nice and smooth, but did not have the punch or torque we've come to expect out of the LS7. They guy said he paid $100k. I almost threw up on his carpet when I heard that...
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM
ghoust
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, thats my feeling about the GTR. It is an easy car to drive and it doesn't take a lot of skill to run consistent times in it because of all the nanny systems doing all the work. I know the world is changing and these electronic enhancers are here to stay, however, I will always be a manual transmission lover.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
DaytonaFIC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love to see GTR's get killed, so good kill, but if he starts modding GTR's become some of the fastest street cars out there.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 AM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just love a good private road. I don't think the mods believe they exist
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Score.. glad you had fun doing it.!!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

GTR can be fast, just no fun to drive......
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
keevo54
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 car lengths? What was the run from and to what mph? If he had intake and tune it would have been a very close run
Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

10 lengths? "cough cough" yeah ?'m not sure I buy that. GTR's might be heavy, they might be ugly, but they are not that slow...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by ghoust
Yup, thats my feeling about the GTR. It is an easy car to drive and it doesn't take a lot of skill to run consistent times in it because of all the nanny systems doing all the work. I know the world is changing and these electronic enhancers are here to stay, however, I will always be a manual transmission lover.
Originally Posted by DaytonaFIC6
I love to see GTR's get killed, so good kill, but if he starts modding GTR's become some of the fastest street cars out there.
Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
GTR can be fast, just no fun to drive......
the technology and how fast they can be modded is impressive, but the looks of the car, and the fact that I could probably put my sister in that car and she could turn a good time takes away the appeal of the car. Part of the fun of racing/driving in general is the skill you have to acquire to do so.. when the computer drives the car = boring
Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

I call BS flag.
Even with your cam , aint no way your gonna pull 10 cars on that thing especially from a 20mhp roll.
Troll somewhere else.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

That's awesome you beat the GTR but I have a hard time believing it was by that much. I'm also surprised you weren't impressed with the ride. The 2014's move!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I beleive the GTR driver let up, or just sucked. NO WAY 10 cars. BTW, I hate GTR's
Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Troll
Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

No Troll, as you can see by my avatar, I have been a member longer than any other poster on this thread. I am a certified road racing driving instructor (so maybe that helped). He was probably slow to get on the throttle and a novice at best, but isn't that car suppose to make anyone fast? I am not exaggerating on 10 cars lengths. I am sure with a better driver it would have been closer. I also went for a drive with him and are telling you FIRST HAND the acceleration was not impressive and throttle response from low RPM sucked until the turbo's kicked in, that is how I got the jump on him and he could not catch up.

I never stated ANYWHERE in the original post this was a drag race from a dead stop with a timing tree. These impromptu things happen on private roads from time to time and you are either up for the challenge or not. Bottom line we counted from 3 at about 20mph and we both hit the gas at the same time.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
No Troll, as you can see by my avatar, I have been a member longer than any other poster on this thread. I am a certified road racing driving instructor (so maybe that helped). He was probably slow to get on the throttle and a novice at best, but isn't that car suppose to make anyone fast? I am not exaggerating on 10 cars lengths. I am sure with a better driver it would have been closer. I also went for a drive with him and are telling you FIRST HAND the acceleration was not impressive and throttle response from low RPM sucked until the turbo's kicked in, that is how I got the jump on him and he could not catch up.

I never stated ANYWHERE in the original post this was a drag race from a dead stop with a timing tree. These impromptu things happen on private roads from time to time and you are either up for the challenge or not. Bottom line we counted from 3 at about 20mph and we both hit the gas at the same time.
Well done then. I just really thought they'd be faster than that. Maybe for $100k I was just hoping. I'm glad I'm not a fan of them, I'd be pissed.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

OP, Problem is GTR is stab and Go. Its not that difficult to drive it .
Do a serach on youtube with GTR's racing.
I believe it did happen but he may have let off because that thing will immediatly jump on you before you start playing catch up . That low mph , those things scream out of the hold
Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Surprised you hooked up at 20mph, esp with a Cam.

Nice run though. I think anything besides getting out of the hole the GTR isn't terribly impressive. Too heavy for its own good.

If Nissan can develop a smaller 3300~lb version, that would be a serious car.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR

Old 04-29-2013, 02:29 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
OP, Problem is GTR is stab and Go. Its not that difficult to drive it .
Do a serach on youtube with GTR's racing.
I believe it did happen but he may have let off because that thing will immediatly jump on you before you start playing catch up . That low mph , those things scream out of the hold
I thought the same thing until he took me for a ride and nailed if from a stop several times. Totally unimpressed (for the money). Apparently he lives close by and we traded phone numbers, maybe I will have to give him a shout for a rematch at the strip.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Atleast you got to play!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by 95jersey

I was cracking up at people calling you a Troll even if I didn't believe your post, those of us that have been around for a long time (like you) its easy to tell from the avatar.

I think what happened you outlined it here, you got the jump before his turbos spooled..your car being modded, and about what , 800lbs lighter gave you the jump, and then he could not catch up

What really makes this interesting is your observation from riding along later , and not being impressed that much.. to me it gives credence to your account of what happened. I think you being the experienced driver played of course into it as well.

people argue over 10 cars or 5 cars... you beat him by a good deal, lets just leave it at that

Cracks me up when something or someone else comes along and the Almighty indestructable unbeatable GTR gets beaten, you'd think its the space shuttle by the way some nutt hug it

Last edited by FrankTank; 04-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR