C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pass side output shaft seal came out!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:35 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Pass side output shaft seal came out!

So I was installing my LG Big 3 exhaust last week and I noticed some leakage around the passenger side output shaft. Upon further inspection, i saw the seal was actually out of the side cover almost touching the CV Joint. I grabbed a screwdriver out of the tool box, seeing if it would go back in easily, and it did with no effort. It's not being held in what so ever.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is there anything that could've caused this (clogged vent, etc...) I just repaired the other side per the TSB instructions last year.

I'm probably going to head to the dealer in the morning and pick up a new seal. I got some Loctite 680 from a friend that I will use to install it, incase the cover is worn from the seal spinning in the bore.

Man, I hate gear lube.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:09 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes a clogged vent will push out the axle seal, now what your most likely going to need is a new cover for that side.
When the seal gets pushed out it will spin in the cover bore and it doesn't take long for the steel seal to wipe out the aluminum covers bore.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

I do remember checking that vent when I had the other side open last year... Oh well.

I picked up the new seal from the local dealer (in stock!), and installed it tonight. It didn't fit much tighter than the one that came out. The only difference is that I did use the Loctite 680 Retaining Compound when installing it. I figured I didn't have anything to lose if I'll have to replace the cover anyways. I'll just keep an eye on it when I drive it this week. (only 20 miles each way for work, minimal traffic)

On replacing the cover, is it that difficult? I was reading the service manual on it and it mentioned obtaining the correct shims for the bearing race for the carrier due to side cover bore differences.

Has anyone done this? I know my way with micrometers, calipers, etc. But does it require any specialized tools where this should be left to the pros?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I blew up a rear end this very way. I pushed a seal, it spun in the bore, and enlarged the hole. I got a new side cover, transferred the shims from my old cover, and put the new one on and made sure to torque it properly. Worked great for a day or two, but the first time I got on it... BOOM!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes you will need the measure the new cover vs the old one the insure to maintain the same preload on the diff side bearings.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Well, here's to hoping that Loctite works wonders, the maintenance guy at my work (former C5 owner) says it does!

If not, it may go into the shop for this one. I'll do almost anything myself, but I'm just not sure on this one. It could also be a good opportunity to have a Quaife installed.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If it were me and I had a loose seal,,,, I would JB Weld it in place. It will NOT come out once thats done!

That way you are not changing any rear end specs.

Even though you epoxy it in,, you can still get the seal out later on if necessary. It will just require a little more work.

Bill
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
If it were me and I had a loose seal,,,, I would JB Weld it in place. It will NOT come out once thats done!

That way you are not changing any rear end specs.

Even though you epoxy it in,, you can still get the seal out later on if necessary. It will just require a little more work.

Bill
I really really really really really REALLY wish I had done this. That stupid seal cost me a new rear end and a transmission rebuilt, when it broke it tweaked my output shaft, AND bent my DTE brace! That was a built 3.90 3 rib rear with the 300M axle shafts. Anyways, clean it really well and put a new seal in there, and JB weld the snot out of it. Let it dry for a day or two and forget about it. Clean the vent on the top though!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you wind up epoxying it,, make sure that you get the seal metal outside clean and coating free and same for the diff housing to make sure that the epoxy adhears to the seal and the housing.

Thanks Mike.

Bill
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I bet the loctite will work very well, as long as you got the seal bore totally oil free and dry.

Ron
Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

I cleaned it out with some Xylene and let it dry for a bit, same with the new seal. After sitting about 18 hours I tried to rotate the seal in the bore with a screwdriver in the notch and it wouldn't budge. Maybe I'll get lucky on this one. I've got some fresh Mobil1 gear oil to go in tomorrow and I'll be driving on Tuesday!

I appreciate everyone's assistance who chimed in on this!

Get notified of new replies

To Pass side output shaft seal came out!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pass side output shaft seal came out!