C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no hard top option in the base coupe?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Why no hard top option in the base coupe?

Perhaps with the Z51 package this would make a sweet ride. Will those seeking a hard top be forced to buy a significantly more expensive model?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
Perhaps with the Z51 package this would make a sweet ride. Will those seeking a hard top be forced to buy a significantly more expensive model?
Ya know, I felt the same way. I'm surprised they didn't make a straight coupe that was a little cheaper and lower in weight.

It's not like they haven't done it in the past. And, ask people how often they remove the targa for driving: I bet it's pretty low per mile driven.

Normally, coupe models look a little better and less fussy too.

I think they missed an opportunity here but most likely, felt that they only wanted to make 2 models (targa and convertible) and not three to reduce the complexity in manufacturing.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Ya know, I felt the same way. I'm surprised they didn't make a straight coupe that was a little cheaper and lower in weight.

It's not like they haven't done it in the past. And, ask people how often they remove the targa for driving: I bet it's pretty low per mile driven.

I think they missed an opportunity here but most likely, felt that they only wanted to make 2 models (targa and convertible) and not three to reduce the complexity in manufacturing.
In 10.5 years of owning/driving my C5 coupe, I never removed the targa...not once. Same goes with the 5 years I've owned/driven my C6 Z06. LOL

But I understand that for the 2006 and 2007 the Z06's came with a removable roof.....even though GM wasn't planning on that happening.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Price point is already low....GM doesnt see the need to further cheapen the brand.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Vast majority of drivers like to be able to remove the top.

Look at Z06. A lot of complaints that you couldn't remove the top.

So they gave us the 427 vert.

Always will be some that aren't happy. But they need to market to the majority.

Yes will probably need to wait until the new Z06 comes out. Coupe, because it's mainly to be a track purpose car. These others are multi purpose.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the weather's good unless I'm really wanting to abuse mine, the targa's off and in the trunk.

I love the targa.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

From the reports about the stiffness of the new fame, a hardtop option would provide minimal improvement, while eliminating the flexibility of being able to remove the top.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
If the weather's good unless I'm really wanting to abuse mine, the targa's off and in the trunk.

I love the targa.
I once bought a bag of pretzels and upon opening the bag, I found a C4 with it's targa off.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I once bought a bag of pretzels and upon opening the bag, I found a C4 with it's targa off.
At least mine will be on the road long after you've shelved your car.
Also, I don't think they made a C4 with a removed Targa in a hotwheels car. Opening and closing clam shell hoods yes, but I don't remember ever seeing one with a removable top.

I'd know. I had like 7 C4 hotwheels cars as a kid.

Also, at least my car doesn't look like cheap plastic garbage under the hood.
Good luck with your valve drop.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 455230
Price point is already low....GM doesnt see the need to further cheapen the brand.
Again, I disagree. Normally coupes appeal more to hard core drivers who want lower weight, simpler styling, and a stiffer chassis.

Wind in the hair is a lower priority for these types. It's the reason Porsche took the Boxster and made the Cayman. The Corvette race cars aren't targa's.

I'm not knocking the targa. But I question why they didn't just come out with a straight and simple coupe. It wouldn't cheapen the brand -- it reinforces it.

Last edited by Sin City; 04-27-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
At least mine will be on the road long after you've shelved your car.
Also, I don't think they made a C4 with a removed Targa in a hotwheels car. Opening and closing clam shell hoods yes, but I don't remember ever seeing one with a removable top.

I'd know. I had like 7 C4 hotwheels cars as a kid.

Also, at least my car doesn't look like cheap plastic garbage under the hood.
Good luck with your valve drop.
Really. My 56 is still on he road(if it had gas in it). And my 64 is still on the road(with 62,000 original miles)and they will still around long after your C4 expires. I suspect my Z06 will still be on the road long after it is sold at my estate auction.

Just the other day I had to make a decision. Eat lunch or use that money to buy a C4.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Ohhh you're one of those chumps that equate money spent on a car to status.

And I really doubt that Joe.
My C4 has 140,000 on it and it's only getting better with each mod and new part that goes in it.
Your 50s and 60s cars won't make it to 100,000 without a major rebuild. And that C6 ZO6? Pah ahahahaha. We'll see how that defective when new valve train holds up over the next few years.

My C4 is only going to leave my company one way, and that is if it gets completely smashed in an accident. And then you know what? I'll just buy another one, for the price of a good dinner and bring my parts over to it.

And you know what? I'll skip out on the lame Muscle Cramp C2s and C3s. I'd rather not own a car that was in it's prime when Dinosaurs roamed the earth

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 04-27-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I have said it on the Forum before..all Corvettes are cool and good looking. It makes no sense to me to dis another Corvette. I have been in Corvette clubs for years and I have never heard anyone as anything bad about any generation. As collectible as all models are it is just a matter of time before the C4 goes up in value.

PEACE
Old 04-27-2013, 08:11 PM
ed1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I have said it on the Forum before..all Corvettes are cool and good looking. It makes no sense to me to dis another Corvette. I have been in Corvette clubs for years and I have never heard anyone as anything bad about any generation.

PEACE
Yeah! What he said!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I have said it on the Forum before..all Corvettes are cool and good looking. It makes no sense to me to dis another Corvette. I have been in Corvette clubs for years and I have never heard anyone as anything bad about any generation. As collectible as all models are it is just a matter of time before the C4 goes up in value.

PEACE
All Corvettes are cool.

It's some of their drivers that aren't.

I dunno about the C4 there, there were well over a million of them made and sold. I'll probably be Joe's age by the time I need to start worrying about making one "Factory Correct". By then I don't know if we'll even be driving gasoline cars anymore.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The reason there isn't a fixed-roof coupe is the same as the reason there isn't a Corvette with round taillights. GM doesn't think there are enough of you who would hold out or buy elsewhere to be worth catering to.

If there were enough of you, an aftermarket of top-fixers would crop up. I guess we'll see.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why no hard top option in the base coupe?

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
I suspect it comes down to what GM thinks will have the broadest appeal to the most customers. The decision makers probably asked the question, "how many potential buyers would NOT buy a Corvette BECAUSE of the targa". I imagine the estimate came back as, "not significant enough to make a difference".

Personally, I will likely never own a targa, including the C7. It holds no appeal for me (for many reasons not worth going into detail here). But I realize that I am in the minority in that regard.

I also understand that GM isn't going to build a car that only appeals to a small minority, nor should they be expected to. I have no problem with that.

But yeah, a hard top version of the Z51 would be pretty sweet. I would seriously consider purchasing one. Especially if it's lighter and more rigid than the targa. In any case, I'm anxiously awaiting the C7 Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To Why no hard top option in the base coupe?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City

I'm surprised, too. I was really hoping this time around they had fixed roof coupe model, stiffer, no seals, no squeaks.

I think the number of people who say they take their top is off is a lot higher than actual numbers. If you listen to some people on this forum, you would think everyone had their top off. OK, where are all these people? I never see any tops off of Corvettes, ever. It was an 80's fad that died off.

I took mine out on my C4 to see what it was like, and I thought the whole car was going to shake apart, and I would forever be tracking down squeaks and rattles. I never did that again, even with my C5.

Michael
Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 455230
I wasn't looking for a cheaper model just don't want a targa top. Would prefer a hardtop with carbon fiber roof and halo option like the current ZR1. Perhaps as sort of a track package or something?

Don't think they need a lower cost car here but something for those of us who simply prefer a hardtop for personal reasons.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael A
I'm surprised, too. I was really hoping this time around they had fixed roof coupe model, stiffer, no seals, no squeaks.

I think the number of people who say they take their top is off is a lot higher than actual numbers. If you listen to some people on this forum, you would think everyone had their top off. OK, where are all these people? I never see any tops off of Corvettes, ever. It was an 80's fad that died off.

I took mine out on my C4 to see what it was like, and I thought the whole car was going to shake apart, and I would forever be tracking down squeaks and rattles. I never did that again, even with my C5.

Michael

I'm with ya on the 80's thing. But, I don't want to get into an argument about pop up headlights either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why no hard top option in the base coupe?