C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 C4 Trans not circulating fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 C4 Trans not circulating fluid

Today's mystery: Have a "91 C4 that only drove in 2nd gear, pulled governor and changed it (had flat spot on gear), lost some fluid (2 quarts?), started engine to readjust fluid level, after about 15 seconds heard a few clicking sounds, engine lugged a little, then I shut it off. Added a quart, checked fluid level and fluid was way high on dipstick. Trans won't move car in any gear now, but engine slows down slightly when I put it in gear, still fluid doesn't seem to be circulating. What should I check?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The trans fluid level drops when the engine is running because some of the fluid gets pumped into the trans cooler, torque converter and other places inside the transmission. That's why you should only check the level when the engine is running. The fluid level also changes when the trans fluid is hot, so it should be checked hot.

What you should check is for transmission shops in your area. You need somebody who knows what he's doing to evaluate your transmission. I suggest calling TransGo and asking their tech support people for a recommendation.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 04-25-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 AM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Thanks, but my fluid level stays high on the stick now with the engine running. I'm pretty sure if I call TransGo the response will be "you will have to bring it in so we can have a look at it". Usually that ends up being "it needs to be rebuilt and we get 1800 for that". But I'll give it a try just to say I did. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by cimchazz1
Added a quart, checked fluid level and fluid was way high on dipstick. Trans won't move car in any gear now, but engine slows down slightly when I put it in gear, still fluid doesn't seem to be circulating. What should I check?
Main line pressure, with a pressure gauge? If you're not pumping fluid, there will be no pressure. If there is no pressure, I'd guess (auto trans's aren't my specialty), that you'd need a pump.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 AM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Main line pressure, with a pressure gauge? If you're not pumping fluid, there will be no pressure. If there is no pressure, I'd guess (auto trans's aren't my specialty), that you'd need a pump.
Thanks, got the rear of the car up off the ground and hand spun the wheels with the trans in gear ane the wheels started turning on their own. When I sped the engine up the wheels slowed down and stopped turning. I turned the engine off and back on with the selector in Neutral and the wheels started turning again. I tried it in all gears and they spin in the forward direction in R, N, and all drive gears. I put it back on the ground and nothing again, but I noticed the engine labors slightly when I'm in gear. Would the wheels spin like this if the pump was bad? Still havent checked pressure (don't know where to get gage). Also looks like fluid dropped slightly, but still it up to upper bend on dipstick ( looks at least a quart high).

Last edited by cimchazz1; 07-06-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
pricesgarage
Instructor

were are you located i have a tranny shop in west virginia
Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 PM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Originally Posted by pricesgarage
were are you located i have a tranny shop in west virginia
Thanks, car actually came from a small town in PA near the southern border, but I have it in MI now. Read a lot of horror stories about trans shops, don't know who to take it to around here. Normally I fix my own stuff, but I would hate to have to lay under this thing to keep pulling the trans and fixing it over and over. And can't really afford it right now, but would rather pay a little more eventually and get a good warranty from someone on the whole job, if it needs anything major. But just trying a final attempt to get it to come back to life. BTW, what should it cost to have this trans pulled and rebuilt or repaired?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM
pricesgarage
Instructor

sent u a pm
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The best/cheapest way to get a transmission pressure gauge is from these guys (I have one):

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata....php?ITEMID=53

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 C4 Trans not circulating fluid

Quick Reply: 1991 C4 Trans not circulating fluid