Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Vette

Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Vette

First post, but plan to be here more in the near future.

I am currently looking at buying a C5. I have been looking for a c3 as well but I think i just want something more modern. The reason behind the c5 or c3 is mostly exterior looks. These are by far my favorite. I know what I want, it should be yellow.

Right now I am considering too options:

A 2002 with 110k miles, glass targa, very well maintained, , 3 owner, no accidents, a few minor blimishes, some mods, borla exhaust, cold air intake and "re-chip to 440" is the basic description I am getting from the dealer. The car was originally from Texas. I spoke with the owner (who traded it in) who bought it from his friend who said he had work done including those items by a performance shop in Texas to get those numbers. He has no further interest in the car and told me it is in perfect mechanical condition. It is not a Z06. It does have the Corvette embroidered logos on the console, mats and back cargo area with a bit of yellow leather trim touchs inside. The glass panel has some pitting or fading of the tent which I think could be fixed. I expect to pay aboout 15K.

A 2001 (i think) with only 25k miles, solid targa top, maintained well....basically new everywhere, it appears to have a borla and intake, no embroider or color accents inside, 2 owner (Dealer car), no accidents. It has aftermarket wheel which are very nice but I would prefer stock. I do not have any history but there isn't much. I expect to pay about 25k.

The 2002 is perfect in so many way, except the mileage. I can live with the minor (very minor) bumps and bruises. The 2001? is pristine and I do prefer the solid targa to the glass targa. The 2002 would be cash and done, the 2001 would be finance remainder or wait.

I came across the mileage thread and was encouraged. I am look at this from a five year prospective and cost will be about equal if the 2002 has no major issues over the next 50k.

What do you owners think?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by FlywithV
First post, but plan to be here more in the near future.

I am currently looking at buying a C5. I have been looking for a c3 as well but I think i just want something more modern. The reason behind the c5 or c3 is mostly exterior looks. These are by far my favorite. I know what I want, it should be yellow.

Right now I am considering too options:

A 2002 with 110k miles, glass targa, very well maintained, , 3 owner, no accidents, a few minor blimishes, some mods, borla exhaust, cold air intake and "re-chip to 440" is the basic description I am getting from the dealer. The car was originally from Texas. I spoke with the owner (who traded it in) who bought it from his friend who said he had work done including those items by a performance shop in Texas to get those numbers. He has no further interest in the car and told me it is in perfect mechanical condition. It is not a Z06. It does have the Corvette embroidered logos on the console, mats and back cargo area with a bit of yellow leather trim touchs inside. The glass panel has some pitting or fading of the tent which I think could be fixed. I expect to pay aboout 15K.

A 2001 (i think) with only 25k miles, solid targa top, maintained well....basically new everywhere, it appears to have a borla and intake, no embroider or color accents inside, 2 owner (Dealer car), no accidents. It has aftermarket wheel which are very nice but I would prefer stock. I do not have any history but there isn't much. I expect to pay about 25k.

The 2002 is perfect in so many way, except the mileage. I can live with the minor (very minor) bumps and bruises. The 2001? is pristine and I do prefer the solid targa to the glass targa. The 2002 would be cash and done, the 2001 would be finance remainder or wait.

I came across the mileage thread and was encouraged. I am look at this from a five year prospective and cost will be about equal if the 2002 has no major issues over the next 50k.

What do you owners think?
First off, What is a re-chip to 440?

If you are looking to spend 25K you should be able to find your yellow 2001-2004 with low miles, Just don't be in a hurry, They are out there for sure.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
First off, What is a re-chip to 440?

If you are looking to spend 25K you should be able to find your yellow 2001-2004 with low miles, Just don't be in a hurry, They are out there for sure.

The previous owners states that the performance upgrades and "re-chip" which I can only assume is a reprogram or re-tune. He states that it raised the flywheel HP to 440. Not sure if this is possible on a non-Z06 so I am very sceptically but it isn't that important. If it was a add-on chip I would probably remove it.

My main concern is that this engine is durable and will last 150k to 200k easy. if that is the case I would probably just get the 2002.

Unfortunately I do not know how much patience I have, when two near perfect matches are just down the street.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FlywithV
The previous owners states that the performance upgrades and "re-chip" which I can only assume is a reprogram or re-tune. He states that it raised the flywheel HP to 440. Not sure if this is possible on a non-Z06 so I am very sceptically but it isn't that important. If it was a add-on chip I would probably remove it.

My main concern is that this engine is durable and will last 150k to 200k easy. if that is the case I would probably just get the 2002.

Unfortunately I do not know how much patience I have, when two near perfect matches are just down the street.
If that's what the "previous owner" said, I would stay away from that car. It's obvious he has no clue about his car or what (if anything) was done to it.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
If that's what the "previous owner" said, I would stay away from that car. It's obvious he has no clue about his car or what (if anything) was done to it.
I did not go into detail about it with him, which is why I am asking. I only had a few second to talk to him as he was picking up his new car. He seemed like a good guy. The car has been service by the Local Chevy dealer every 3000 mile or so. I also did not expect him to be that knowledgeable about the performance mods because his friend had all the work done. To me 350hp to 440hp without major bolt-ons is not easy. I have built several cars, mostly imports, and so I am skeptical but again I don't really car about the mods, more looking for a solid weekend cruiser, not a race car (but close never hurts). 4.7 or 3.9 0-60 doesn't make too much difference to me. I will air it out occasionally but most will be mountain road diving.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A maintained high milage car is not bad, saying that, I would stay away from that high mile 2002. THere is no way in hell that he got 350 to 440 with just a computer tune or chip. THere would have to have been engine mods too.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Where are you ? Please put your city into your profile so members can help you with your picks-- or better inform you about cars you're considering . . .

FWIW- I'd pass on the first one - - love the low miles on the 01, but this price is pretty strong. An 02 with 50-ish miles, well documented might be in your sweet spot - - again, location would be helpful.

Welcome to the forum - -
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

DON'T DO IT!!!!

Buying a Vette is a slippery slope. At first it seams simple. An air filter or maybe just lowering it. Then there is the next mod, and the next. Before you know you are drooling over the next mod and selling off other stuff just to afford it. Trying to justify to your spouse the reason you spent 1000+ $$ on some new tires.

STAY AWAY

My name is Jerry and I approve this message
Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would agree that to get to 440 hp would require some substantial engine mods, not just a tune, catback exhaust and an air intake. The 2001 has fairly low mileage, but IMO is not worth $25K. If you can get them down to a more reasonable price, the 2001 would be a better deal IMO.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow Z06
DON'T DO IT!!!!

Buying a Vette is a slippery slope. At first it seams simple. An air filter or maybe just lowering it. Then there is the next mod, and the next. Before you know you are drooling over the next mod and selling off other stuff just to afford it. Trying to justify to your spouse the reason you spent 1000+ $$ on some new tires.

STAY AWAY

They have Modders Anonymous for this.
Other half hides the checkbook and takes the cards away.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Slow Z06
DON'T DO IT!!!!

STAY AWAY

I have many of these issues, this will be an additional problem.... or part of the problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm amazed that people are considering $25K for a C5. Seriously man. Thats C6 money. I have recently seen a number of C5's for 15K that I thought were a decent deal. 50-60K miles, and a no accident car.

I wouldn't even consider spending a nickel more than $15,000 for a C5. Unless it had under 10,000 miles.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Sidewayz6.0
I'm amazed that people are considering $25K for a C5. Seriously man. Thats C6 money. I have recently seen a number of C5's for 15K that I thought were a decent deal. 50-60K miles, and a no accident car.

I wouldn't even consider spending a nickel more than $15,000 for a C5. Unless it had under 10,000 miles.
You say that's C6 money, Ever stop to think that a C6 doesn't appeal to everyone? If I was to sell my C5 there is no way I would take less than 25K for it, I couldn't replace it for something I like for less.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 PM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

I have looked at the C6, and it is nice, but the C5 is more traditional in its shape, well at least to the C3. I much prefer the look of the C5. Now, yes, 25K brings me into Z06 territory easy and my money may end up there.

I live in California. I am sure the prices are a bit higher here, and people are spoiled and a great deal of used cars are just traded in, which means dealing with a dealer and higher prices. I can tell that the 100K 2002 car is getting plenty of hits at 16-17k. I would offer 14K -15k max. Nada Clean retail is about 16.5k. The 2001 has a nada clean retail at 21,725. I would pay 20-22K, maybe a bit more here. The car has not been released to the lot yet and has not been priced, so I am not sure what they are thinking. The problem is that I live in a less populated area of the Pacific coast, which means low supply and high demand.

I know I could get a low mileage C5 in California for 18-20K. But I would have to drive to see or purchase it, which could add up. I also have a particular color in mind, yellow, and it adds a bit to the difficulty.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I've already turned down a very serious offer of 25,000 for my C5 from a restaurant owner I've known for 30 years who wanted it for his wife. I get offers all the time, and people asking me to contact them in the event that I want to sell... I have every receipt, piece of paper, maintenance report, modifications receipt, inspection report. and service record since the first day I owned the car. I have no interest in a C6, and am not willing to spend 40,000 plus my car for a car which may not deliver the same buzz I get from my C5. If I were to buy a C6, it would take and additional 15,000 to make it personal to my taste.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

I'd vote for the '01, if you can get it under 22,500
Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 PM
abc99
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

C5 =

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a Vette

Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

$25k for a C5 is crazy talk. A low mileage Z06, Yeah but $25k for a base C5 is way out of reach.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Tulsa Vette Guy
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out http://www.corvette-mag.com/classifi...002&tab=search
I saw a 2002 loaded at a great price.

Last edited by Tulsa Vette Guy; 04-24-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by bladex10
$25k for a C5 is crazy talk. A low mileage Z06, Yeah but $25k for a base C5 is way out of reach.
Just because you don't own or cant afford to by a Corvette, Don't bad mouth those that can...
after reading through your posts and threads you have only mentioned considering buying a C3 or a C4, but you seem to be someone with little knowledge of corvettes or the means to buy one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a Vette