C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why complain when you could just buy something esle?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 PM
ed1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why complain when you could just buy something esle?

I have read many threads complaining about what the 2014 corvette does not have and what GM should have included to make it perfect. Can any of these complainers explain why don't you just buy a car that has everything you want vs complaining about a car that doesn't.

Most common complaints I've seen are:
-Needs at least 500HP
-Needs All-wheel drive
-Needs Dual Clutch Transmission
-Don't like the design
-And the one that made me make this thread---Needs more safety features, wtf!

Here is a list of cars that complainers could buy that would meet 3-4 of the most common complaints:

-Audi R8 V10 525HP/391lbTQ 11 city MPG MSRP $161k
-Porsche GT3 475HP est. 14 city MPG MSRP 130k
-Nissan GTR 545HP 16 city MPG MSRP 100K
-MB SLS65 583HP 0-60 in 3.6 secs 13 city MPG MSPR 199K
All MSRP listed are starting and can jump up quick when adding options.
There are a few other others but the price jumps beyond 300K

-2014 Corvette base V8 est. 450HP/450TQ 0-60 under 4secs, over 20 city MPG MSRP 50(something)K!

Is there a reason why the complainers don't just buy one of these cars instead of complaining about the C7? My guess is that it has something to do with the 100K plus starting price tag vs mid 50's for a vette!

I think it is unreasonable for people to demand GM to put technology from a 100k-500k car in a car the they sell for 50-60K.

Regardless of what GM puts in the corvette it needs to continue its tradition which is dollar-4-dollar the best sports car money can buy. America Sport Car! The sports car that middle and upper class alike can afford. The car that the manager at Best Buy can afford as will as the CEO of Best Buy. The corvette fills a gap that foreign sports cars overlook!

Last edited by ed1; 04-22-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,268 Posts

You do realize if you say Beetlejuice three times out loud he/they WILL come back.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Stingray81
Advanced

Exactly. What strikes me as funny as the C7 haters come into the C7-specific forum just to talk trash.. They must have a lot of time on their hands.

I certainly don't go into the C6 forums and talk about how archaic and old their cars look now, or how you can buy them used for $20K and everyone and their mother drives one.. Nope, I stay on the C7 forum because I like the car and am looking forward to my order being delivered later this year.

The people who hate on it are simply stopping by to rain on our parade and make themselves feel better about owning yesterday's car that Grandpa likes showing off at his local Corvette club meeting at Denny's.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray81
The people who hate on it are simply stopping by to rain on our parade and make themselves feel better about owning yesterday's car that Grandpa likes showing off at his local Corvette club meeting at Denny's.
Spoken like an obnoxious new member here. You're going to make friends real quick.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:14 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One word....

Douchebags
Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I don't "HATE" the C7.

I just didn't feel a sense of waiting on something a year out when I could jump on a great closeout deal on a C6Z06.

Different Corvettes. I just don't feel mine is "dated" since it is brand new to me, regardless of 9 years on the road. No rain on your parade at all. But just as you state C6 folks talk trash on a C7 forum, I will quote your last sentence.....

"The people who hate on it are simply stopping by to rain on our parade and make themselves feel better about owning yesterday's car that Grandpa likes showing off at his local Corvette club meeting at Denny's."

Is that not the same trash talking?

I thought owning a Corvette (regardless of year or model) was a Brotherhood.

Some of you (us) them, whoever, need to remember what owning a Corvette is all about. Next thing you know, Ferrari and Lamborghini owners are talking trash about you C7 owners because you just couldn't afford a more premium sports car, in the "exotic" lineup. Then again, you will come back with..."Why pay all that for this... and save thousands..." Is it not the same? A Corvette C6 will never be a Corvette C7. But then again, a C7 will never be a Ferrari, Veyron, LSF or Koe****segg. So, what's your point?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Hmm, complaining about complainers. Ironic.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I like the car and am looking forward to my order being delivered later this year.
By the way....welcome to the forum. Do tell...Is this your first Corvette?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Stingray81
Advanced

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Yes it will be my first Corvette. The previous versions never interested me one bit. I had thought about potentially buying a 2007 Z06, but hated the interior and lack of exotic styling, so I spent more $ and bought a 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo instead.

Fast forward to today, I only have 8600 miles on it, but its currently in the shop awaiting a new E-Gear actuator that is going to cost $16-18K to replace, and that's when the part will actually come in which isn't until June or so.

I'm sick of the high maintenance, and expensive repair bills, and the fact I can't even fart in the seat without thinking it resulted in a depreciation hit.

When I saw the new C7, I knew it was finally time to buy an American sports car.. GM did it for me this time. Glad my order is placed, can't wait to sell the Gallardo.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ed1
I have read many threads complaining about what the 2014 corvette does not have and what GM should have included to make it perfect. Can any of these complainers explain why don't you just buy a car that has everything you want vs complaining about a car that doesn't.
Because they cant afford it.

Money talk, BS walks. And theres ALOT of walking going on in the C7 forum.

Excellent point btw the way. If you want all these technology, then go buy it. Nothing is stopping you but the cash. People like me, on the hand, are realistic about what we can afford and see a $55k C7 for exactly what it is. The best bang for the buck performance car of any new model. I cant name another car within a $50,000 margin to the 2014 Stingray that offers the same or better amount of technology, performance & looks. GTR is about as close as it gets, but it costs $100k and is MUCH uglier.

Expect alot of haters to turn into C7 owners when the Stingray finally hits the streets. It will be much harder to deny the truth when it pulls up beside whatever you are currently riding in.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Oh Hells no.....this kid has a $375k stable of high end exotics!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Stingray81
Advanced

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Oh Hells no.....this kid has a $375k stable of high end exotics!
I have one exotic, an SUV, a Truck, and a Harley.. Thank you very much.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Naw, I think I get it.

Really, think about it for a second. This car was originally slated to be introduced in what, 2010? The C7 Discussion forum has been here since, I believe 2006, or something close to that?

The build up and anticipation of this car has building for over a half decade. This is the Corvette afterall, not your typical, run of the mill Cadillac or Buick or Malibu. 60 years and this is only the seventh generation of design. So it's big for alot of people. Many of us grew up either around Corvettes or wishing we were. There is alot of passion involved with this American Icon. If I worked as a designer, and GM said, okay, you design the next Corvette, I would probably faint under that pressure.

Our first clue, real or fancied, was the "Stingray" from the Transormers movie. Y'all remember those days around here? That was around the time we thought we were going to see a new Corvette. I'd bet, that much of this design was already on the table at that time, until it got delayed. If you really look at this car, and the concept, you can clearly see that the concept was the base form this car was designed from. Down to those beautiful tail lights. If this car had been revealed then, at the peak of the concept hype, it would've been much more well received, IMO.

So, for about a half decade or more, the expectations, hopes, dreams and fears of the next Corvette have been building up. Then it finally comes out, and for some, well, there's just no way it could meet some of these expectations. For others, it exceeded them. But, yes, this car envokes passion. I can understand that many are dissapointed. So they vent their frustration in the one place they know. Look, we gotta take the good with bad. I like it, but really, I can understand where some wouldn't. I don't mind them saying so, it's nothing personal to me when they do. Even if they try to make it personal.

But if this car performs the way GM preaches, this will turn around, I believe. As more and more are out in the streets, frustrations will fade, acceptance will set in, and perhaps turn into appreciation. So vent, this is the Corvette Forum, the one thing we share is the passion for this great American Car. And they're all beautiful in their own unique way, IMHO.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Naw, I think I get it.

Really, think about it for a second. This car was originally slated to be introduced in what, 2010? The C7 Discussion forum has been here since, I believe 2006, or something close to that?

The build up and anticipation of this car has building for over a half decade. This is the Corvette afterall, not your typical, run of the mill Cadillac or Buick or Malibu. 60 years and this is only the seventh generation of design. So it's big for alot of people. Many of us grew up either around Corvettes or wishing we were. There is alot of passion involved with this American Icon. If I worked as a designer, and GM said, okay, you design the next Corvette, I would probably faint under that pressure.

Our first clue, real or fancied, was the "Stingray" from the Transormers movie. Y'all remember those days around here? That was around the time we thought we were going to see a new Corvette. I'd bet, that much of this design was already on the table at that time, until it got delayed. If you really look at this car, and the concept, you can clearly see that the concept was the base form this car was designed from. Down to those beautiful tail lights. If this car had been revealed then, at the peak of the concept hype, it would've been much more well received, IMO.

So, for about a half decade or more, the expectations, hopes, dreams and fears of the next Corvette have been building up. Then it finally comes out, and for some, well, there's just no way it could meet some of these expectations. For others, it exceeded them. But, yes, this car envokes passion. I can understand that many are dissapointed. So they vent their frustration in the one place they know. Look, we gotta take the good with bad. I like it, but really, I can understand where some wouldn't. I don't mind them saying so, it's nothing personal to me when they do. Even if they try to make it personal.

But if this car performs the way GM preaches, this will turn around, I believe. As more and more are out in the streets, frustrations will fade, acceptance will set in, and perhaps turn into appreciation. So vent, this is the Corvette Forum, the one thing we share is the passion for this great American Car. And they're all beautiful in their own unique way, IMHO.
You REALLY DO work for the United Nations!!

Good post.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Yes it will be my first Corvette. The previous versions never interested me one bit. I had thought about potentially buying a 2007 Z06, but hated the interior and lack of exotic styling, so I spent more $ and bought a 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo instead.

Fast forward to today, I only have 8600 miles on it, but its currently in the shop awaiting a new E-Gear actuator that is going to cost $16-18K to replace, and that's when the part will actually come in which isn't until June or so.

I'm sick of the high maintenance, and expensive repair bills, and the fact I can't even fart in the seat without thinking it resulted in a depreciation hit.

When I saw the new C7, I knew it was finally time to buy an American sports car.. GM did it for me this time. Glad my order is placed, can't wait to sell the Gallardo.

No thread hi-jack intended, but interesting comment on the Lambo's transmission. Did you get unlucky with yours or do those cars have a rep for the trans being high maintenance? Other than that how is it maintenance-wise?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 AM
ed1
Instructor

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
100% and I think we all can agree that they have been conservative with the numbers just like they were when they first announced the ZL1.

The only valid reason I can think of to not like the new corvette that you just don't like the design. They definitely made enough change for they be a new generate and not just the 2014 C6. Heck parts that the C6 and C7 share can fit in a ziplock bag according the unveiling. Also with this many changes I don't think you say what the C7 needs or don't need to be a better car. I think it going to be the best performing corvette base today and I am glad I didn't pull the trigger on a 08 last year like I came so close to doing! I would be kicking myself today!

Last edited by ed1; 04-22-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Yes. Why bother, Corvette has had poor seats for 20 years despite constant complaining.

Get notified of new replies

To Why complain when you could just buy something esle?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 AM
Nightstalker Medic
Pro

No complaining here.

Placed my order. I'm good.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:03 AM
ed1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nightstalker Medic
No complaining here.

Placed my order. I'm good.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 AM
Stingray81
Advanced

Originally Posted by OnPoint
No thread hi-jack intended, but interesting comment on the Lambo's transmission. Did you get unlucky with yours or do those cars have a rep for the trans being high maintenance? Other than that how is it maintenance-wise?
The e-gear failure is a combination of bad luck and crappy parts. Some people never have an issue, then there are some of those that it just fails on without warning. I was simply accelerating at about 75% throttle onto a freeway on ramp, and out of no where the gear disengages and the paddles wouldn't do anything. Had to put her on a flatbed, then the front end lift feature didn't work.. You guessed it, jacked the front bumper up too !

At this point I'm over it. It was cool initially, and still gets stares and gives you a great feeling driving it, but it isn't worth the hassle to me now. Never want to drive it because I don't want to risk damage to it, then I will spend an entire day cleaning it after a few hours of driving it.

As for maintenance, figure about a buck to a buck and half per mile of maintenance. About $750 for an oil change. The 5K service was $7500. Trust me, a C7 is perfectly fine by me now.. Especially because my daily driver is a Silverado, and I would actually have the choice between that and the C7 unless I drove my wife's X5-M, which I'm not even a big fan of.

The Stingray will definitely replace the Gallardo, and am thinking of selling it with the broken e-gear to someone who wants to take it off my hands once and for all and fix it themselves

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why complain when you could just buy something esle?