Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 271 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default competition seats vs GT standard GM picture, what does this mean

I found this GM pic, I can't really figure out what the numbers mean, obviously it is trying to show with some kind of "thermal image" how it holds you in better, can anyone explain this pic please and what the numbers on the left infer... if you click on the ? mark it will show you the image, don't know how to make it appear in this post without clicking on it, sorry. It's on flickr

Last edited by AVETTE; 04-18-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: make pic work
Old 04-18-2013, 03:19 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

To me it looks like a thermal image of the residual heat left in the seat after someone gets out. So, it shows where the person was contacting the seating surfaces.

The 2013 seat shows very little contact on the bolsters, only a couple very warm spots near the bottom (guessing the bottom of the pic equates to the front edge of the seat bottom). The hot temp and small area indicates to me that there might be an uncomfortable pressure point in that area due to having so little contact.

The 2014 seat shows much more evenly distributed contact, with significant contact on the bolsters. To me this indicates a tighter fitting seat, but possibly one that is still reasonably comfortable because the pressure occurs over a large area (minimal hot spots).

The left image looks like a top-down view of the outline of the seat cross-section (not sure if this is showing the back rest or seat bottom). The number indicates the width of the seat (likely in mm) and the height and relative shape of the bolster is indicated by the shape of the "side walls".

One thing I'm not sure of is whether the thermal images show an "unfolded" view of both the seat bottom and seat back, or if it is just the seat back. If you look at the red lines indicating the shape of the bolsters, you can see by comparing to pictures of a 2013 seat that the top half of the photo definitely is referring to the back rest (the way the bolsters curve away and disappear in the shoulder/upper back area). The 2014 seat bolsters basically continue up to the neck.

Overall it looks like an attempt to show how much more support the new seats will provide than the C6 seats.

Cool pic!

-T
Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Picture isn't working for me, I'm getting the "?" of death
Old 04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 271 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran