C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I swear they were doing it on purpose

Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Default I swear they were doing it on purpose

So earlier today I'm driving on I-95 in North Carolina. I am on the inside (passing) lane and just as I come up on an 18 wheeler following another in the right lane, the truck in the rear pulls out right in front of me as I am starting to pass by (of course). So I wait patiently for that truck to lumber past and then pull in front of the other semi, untill I can finally pass. I drive another 1/4 mile and the exact same thing happens. I wait patiently once again until the the one semi passes the other. Once again I am in the clear. I get another 1/2 mile up the road and the exact thing happens again. This routene repeats itself three more times in succession (seems like "Groundhog day). Finally, I come up behind a semi in the right lane that isn't following (or trying to pass) anybody else. Great! thinks I, as I start to pass the truck. Just as I do, he jerks his rig from the right lane into the left and cuts me off just as I start to pass. Did I forget to mention he wasn't even following anyone??!!

Okay, call me paranoid, but I truly believe these guys were on the CB with one another and had decided to have some "fun" and screw with the guy in the Blue Corvette....

I can't think of any other reason for the behavior...

I think I'm gonna go get a beer....
Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Your car looks silver to me. You sure there were even trucks on the road? hahaha

Carlisle Blue is it? Maybe the last trucker thought you were silver till you got up close.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 04-17-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Thats probably exactly what was going on.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Your car looks silver to me. You sure there were even trucks on the road? hahaha

Carlisle Blue is it? Maybe the last trucker thought you were silver till you got up close.
She is indeed Carlisle Blue and don't laugh, That color is getting me free admission to "Corvettes at Carlisle" this year...

Last edited by LIE2ME; 04-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

And truckers used to be some of the most courteous drivers on the road. Now it seems they're just D**kheads like everyone else.
(Of course, some are still pretty courteous....maybe that was too general)
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

On the face of it, I'd say you are correct. That is what they were doing. But a couple of things, it's not just Corvettes. I think they actually get bored and decide to play a little game with any car.

Also, there is the remote possibility that in some cases, if there is a hill coming up, or a lot of traffic behind or ahead, they do it. And the reason is, if they don't do it now, they could be waiting a long time and losing lots of speed or momentum. Losing time is what try to avoid, but they are in (in some cases) underpowered trucks with heavy loads having to make a destination.

Still, it is dangerous and I've had to almost stand on the brakes. No fun.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

When that happens to me, and it has, I call the State Police. They get bored too and love to chase down errant truckers.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they wanted you to stunt drive your Vette under their trailer box and come out the other side unscathed. All kidding aside, don't tangle with those big boys!!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's everywhere. I'm driving back from New Orleans 2 weeks ago. Been following 2 cars for over an hour. Making good time. A Mini pulls in between me and one of the cars,there was barely room. I had to hit brakes not to run into the Mini. The cars I had been following move on ahead. The Mini stays right beside the semi we were passing.We finally get by and the Mini stays in the fast lane. When there was plenty of room I go to pass Mini on right. The Mini speeds up,I laugh,stay in 6th gear and pass Mini. I get back in fast lane to pass next semi.The Mini catches up with me and turns on bright lites.I'm like WTF and get over to right lane,so does the Mini. I speed up,so does Mini,I slow down Mini slows down.I pass next vehicle pull over so Mini cant get behind me. Mini pulls in front of me and hits brakes.I got off at next exit to get away from him.People are crazy!!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Get yourself a CB and join in on the fun.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:26 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
So earlier today I'm driving on I-95 in North Carolina. I am on the inside (passing) lane and just as I come up on an 18 wheeler following another in the right lane, the truck in the rear pulls out right in front of me as I am starting to pass by (of course). So I wait patiently for that truck to lumber past and then pull in front of the other semi, untill I can finally pass. I drive another 1/4 mile and the exact same thing happens. I wait patiently once again until the the one semi passes the other. Once again I am in the clear. I get another 1/2 mile up the road and the exact thing happens again. This routene repeats itself three more times in succession (seems like "Groundhog day). Finally, I come up behind a semi in the right lane that isn't following (or trying to pass) anybody else. Great! thinks I, as I start to pass the truck. Just as I do, he jerks his rig from the right lane into the left and cuts me off just as I start to pass. Did I forget to mention he wasn't even following anyone??!!

Okay, call me paranoid, but I truly believe these guys were on the CB with one another and had decided to have some "fun" and screw with the guy in the Blue Corvette....

while I wouldn't do it in the Corvette......when that happens to me I cut back in front of the 18 wheeler and sloooow way down and listen to them grind those gears......
Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Happens constantly. Keep in mind they don't like being held up behind a slowpoke either, but a 25000 lb. Trailer takes a lot longer to pass another truck than a 3200 lb. sports car does.

I do believe some do it for their amusement, however. It only seems to happen on 2 lane highways.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Freaking idiots!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

same happens to me everyday. So, I kick it down and blast them with 11psi of boost and scare the hell out of them, with the npp's open
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 PM
demon vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are being paranoid. truckers always get blamed for this bs. first of all, few truckers even talk on cb radios anymore. almost everyone is on cell phones constantly. secondly, cars don't own the road. these drivers must get out to pass when the opportunity allows, otherwise they loose valueable road speed that can take miles to recover. how long does it take you to recover? seconds? lastly, when a truck comes over (when there is no one he is following) is usually for a valid reason. emergency vehicle on the shoulder, lane restriction, debris on the road or any number of reasons. I am not suggesting that impeding the flow of traffic intentionaly never happens but usually these guys and gals only will do it in reaction to a car doing something stupid or dangerous. cut these guys some slack, they work extremely long hours and tolerate more crap from discurtious cars than you can imagine. 80 to 90 percent of the stuff you own including your car was hauled by a truck
Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Here again, I think that it is simply all a part of the VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRICY...........
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 PM
demon vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWEET
while I wouldn't do it in the Corvette......when that happens to me I cut back in front of the 18 wheeler and sloooow way down and listen to them grind those gears......
smart! cut off a 80,000 lb truck and trust that a fatigued driver is alert enough and can react quickly and that his rig has proper working brakes. not to mention that "you" might be the one starting these dangerous games that you accuse these truckers of doing. your actions are potentially much more dangerous to the driving public because you could cause a chain reaction accident. think about it.

Get notified of new replies

To I swear they were doing it on purpose

Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

She is indeed Carlisle Blue and don't laugh, That color is getting me free admission to "Corvettes at Carlisle" this year...
Right there with you silver
Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like they were trying to pass some time.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your not in the vette but in somthing say the size of a van, tuck in as close to the trailer as you can then start to weave from side to side in your lane and watch the trailer...watch out for breaks LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I swear they were doing it on purpose