C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Corvette tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:22 PM
sitko1
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Default C6 Corvette tips and tricks

Is there a thread showing C6 tips and tricks like the one for the C5 (see examples below)? I haven't been able to find one, maybe I'm entering the wrong search words.

a few examples for C5's-
-pressing the gas pedal three times w/o the engine on to reset the engine life.
-Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to engage "Competitive Driving" (2000 and previous years must be stopped.)
-Hold down RESET button while on one of the trip odometers and it gives you the mileage you traveled since last starting the car, etc....

Popular Reply

03-17-2013, 04:18 PM
sitko1
Intermediate

Default Found this doing a google search

I found this doing a search- this is the web address I copied it from- http://www.kitsapvettes.org/pdf/C6%2...s%20Tricks.pdf

Things I didn't know about my C6
1) There's a button on the rear fascia to open the rear hatch.
2) There are 2 gas tanks.
3) You can only recall the max. G force on the HUD during the current engine on cycle. Once you shut the engine off, it's gone.
4) The car will remind you to shut off your turn signal if left on for more than 3/4 mi.
5) Headlamps automatically turn on if using wipers.
6) You can just bump the turn signal (up or down) for it to signal for 3 ticks.
7) There's also a keyhole above the rear license plate to put a key to open the hatch if you don't have your fob nearby.
8) The DIC chime loudness can be turned down significantly by turning the audio "Auto Volume" to "OFF".
9) Better hook-up a battery tender if the car is going to sit for longer than 3 weeks.
10) Most light switches that you push to turn a light ON/OFF are ON when the button is held into the depressed position, and OFF when the button is pushed again and released to the "out" position. But the read
ing lights on the rearview mirror that are controlled by the buttons on
either side of the rearview mirror in the C6 are OFF when they are in the "in" position, and ON when the butt on is pushed to the "out"
position.
11) There's an orange light that shines down from the
on the passenger visor clip that is just simply an area light to give a little low-level light ambiance to your driving experience at night. It was dropped in the 2008 model year in about February as a running change.
12) If you hold the ignition rocker switch in the on (down) position for about 20 sec. the car goes into full on mode (same as "ign" with a key car) without the engine starting. This allows you to program the DIC and run all accessories etc without starting the engine.
13) The handle to pull the hatch down was on the C6 through the middle of the 2007 model year.
14) The button on the panel to the left of the steering wheel/column controls the level of the instrument lighting, but also turns the interior lights ON/OFF. If you inadvertently hit the button, it can turn on the interior lights. There's no in/out to the switch, so you just have to look to see if the lights are on or off, and push the button to get them in the mode you want.
15) The A6 will not up shift when either TC or AHS are active. You can't force it to up shift using the paddles either (TC or AH
S active). Using Comp Mode can remedy this... to a point.
16) There is a feature on wiper intermittent delay fastest speed: When one goes over 50mph in this setting, the wiper automatically switches to constant on (normal speed). C6 has speed sensitive intermittent delay, but no rain sensor.
17) Pressing and holding the Fan Speed button, the Windshield Defrost button, and the Rear Window Defogger button at the same time resets the outside temperature display.
18) Mirror dimming is turned off when you are in reverse.
19) If you reset the timer you have to wait 10 seconds before you move the display to another resettable value, otherwise that one will reset too.
20) The trick of hitting the recirc button twice to reduce the warm air in the footwells. I love it when I have the top down...much less extra heat down there.
21) If you touch the time of day in the to p right corner of the
navigation screen, the day of the week and date will be displayed.
22) If you press down on the wiper stalk it will operate the wiper for one pass.
23) The compass can be calibrated and proper zone selected by
pressing either the far left button on the on-star panel or by pressing the left map button until the option for either calibration or zone appear.
24) If both FOBs are in the car at the same time, FOB 1 rules.
25) Get Ice warnings on DIC.
26) Manual shift C6s have a steering wheel lock and automatics don't. - Only the manual 2005, and foreign spec cars, have the column lock - 2006 on do not.
27) If you will be driving your Vette at speeds of 175 MPH or greater you should set the cold tire inflation to the maximum shown on the tire sidewall of 38 PSI.
28) The window switches are not connected to the window motor. They send a request to the computer and the computer lowers the windows.
29) Manual door release on the floor by door sills.
30) Hook built into gas door lid for hanging the gas cap via the retaining cord.
31) When backing up in reverse, both the speedo and the HUD will show your speed.
32) If you want to splash or lube engine after oil change press gas petal to floor which shuts down injectors and hit start button engine will crank but not start.
33) If you want to check the mileage, with the car off reach in
the window and turn the head lights on the mileage will show.
34) The underhood lamp and locking center console were dropped for '07.
35) The floor pans are made of balsa wood. The difference is that Z06 and ZR1's have c/f covering the balsa, where it is fiberglass cover for Coupe's and Convertibles.
36) The '09 Z51 doesn't have front grease fittings as per the manual.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:47 PM
shootincyclone
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Old 03-17-2013, 04:18 PM
sitko1
Intermediate

Default Found this doing a google search

I found this doing a search- this is the web address I copied it from- http://www.kitsapvettes.org/pdf/C6%2...s%20Tricks.pdf

Things I didn't know about my C6
1) There's a button on the rear fascia to open the rear hatch.
2) There are 2 gas tanks.
3) You can only recall the max. G force on the HUD during the current engine on cycle. Once you shut the engine off, it's gone.
4) The car will remind you to shut off your turn signal if left on for more than 3/4 mi.
5) Headlamps automatically turn on if using wipers.
6) You can just bump the turn signal (up or down) for it to signal for 3 ticks.
7) There's also a keyhole above the rear license plate to put a key to open the hatch if you don't have your fob nearby.
8) The DIC chime loudness can be turned down significantly by turning the audio "Auto Volume" to "OFF".
9) Better hook-up a battery tender if the car is going to sit for longer than 3 weeks.
10) Most light switches that you push to turn a light ON/OFF are ON when the button is held into the depressed position, and OFF when the button is pushed again and released to the "out" position. But the read
ing lights on the rearview mirror that are controlled by the buttons on
either side of the rearview mirror in the C6 are OFF when they are in the "in" position, and ON when the butt on is pushed to the "out"
position.
11) There's an orange light that shines down from the
on the passenger visor clip that is just simply an area light to give a little low-level light ambiance to your driving experience at night. It was dropped in the 2008 model year in about February as a running change.
12) If you hold the ignition rocker switch in the on (down) position for about 20 sec. the car goes into full on mode (same as "ign" with a key car) without the engine starting. This allows you to program the DIC and run all accessories etc without starting the engine.
13) The handle to pull the hatch down was on the C6 through the middle of the 2007 model year.
14) The button on the panel to the left of the steering wheel/column controls the level of the instrument lighting, but also turns the interior lights ON/OFF. If you inadvertently hit the button, it can turn on the interior lights. There's no in/out to the switch, so you just have to look to see if the lights are on or off, and push the button to get them in the mode you want.
15) The A6 will not up shift when either TC or AHS are active. You can't force it to up shift using the paddles either (TC or AH
S active). Using Comp Mode can remedy this... to a point.
16) There is a feature on wiper intermittent delay fastest speed: When one goes over 50mph in this setting, the wiper automatically switches to constant on (normal speed). C6 has speed sensitive intermittent delay, but no rain sensor.
17) Pressing and holding the Fan Speed button, the Windshield Defrost button, and the Rear Window Defogger button at the same time resets the outside temperature display.
18) Mirror dimming is turned off when you are in reverse.
19) If you reset the timer you have to wait 10 seconds before you move the display to another resettable value, otherwise that one will reset too.
20) The trick of hitting the recirc button twice to reduce the warm air in the footwells. I love it when I have the top down...much less extra heat down there.
21) If you touch the time of day in the to p right corner of the
navigation screen, the day of the week and date will be displayed.
22) If you press down on the wiper stalk it will operate the wiper for one pass.
pressing either the far left button on the on-star panel or by pressing the left map button until the option for either calibration or zone appear.
24) If both FOBs are in the car at the same time, FOB 1 rules.
25) Get Ice warnings on DIC.
26) Manual shift C6s have a steering wheel lock and automatics don't. - Only the manual 2005, and foreign spec cars, have the column lock - 2006 on do not.
27) If you will be driving your Vette at speeds of 175 MPH or greater you should set the cold tire inflation to the maximum shown on the tire sidewall of 38 PSI.
28) The window switches are not connected to the window motor. They send a request to the computer and the computer lowers the windows.
29) Manual door release on the floor by door sills.
30) Hook built into gas door lid for hanging the gas cap via the retaining cord.
31) When backing up in reverse, both the speedo and the HUD will show your speed.
32) If you want to splash or lube engine after oil change press gas petal to floor which shuts down injectors and hit start button engine will crank but not start.
33) If you want to check the mileage, with the car off reach in
the window and turn the head lights on the mileage will show.
34) The underhood lamp and locking center console were dropped for '07.
35) The floor pans are made of balsa wood. The difference is that Z06 and ZR1's have c/f covering the balsa, where it is fiberglass cover for Coupe's and Convertibles.
36) The '09 Z51 doesn't have front grease fittings as per the manual.
The following 14 users liked this post by sitko1:
72greg (09-24-2019), Buggy650 (11-22-2017), C6Hans (10-17-2022), davidlnf (07-07-2018), Gering (04-10-2016), jakmarlin (02-13-2020), JRE-C6 (01-04-2016), Panama Gringo (06-12-2020), Rico7142 (06-22-2019), Rockdoc27 (06-21-2017), Ruff Z51 (02-10-2018), SteveJewels (09-11-2017), Teebone56 (12-04-2022), Z06Ronald (10-12-2015) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

That is awesome. I pasted that into a document on my computer for future review. Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 04:42 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice I knew some of this but all of it.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Delbert
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are a few more tips and facts about the C6"

The Automatic transmission cars have programming to hold gears during cornering

The small holes on the inside surface of the exhaust tips are to eliminate high-RPM hiss noise.

To get the dash to dim, you need to hold the dimmer switch in when rotated. The owner’s manual is incorrect and needs to be corrected.

Rolling code Garage Door openers like what Sears sells, require you to press the learn button on the unit then push the opener button in the C6 3 times for 2 seconds. The owner’s manual does not list a procedure for this.

To turn off the DRLs turn the light switch one notch up from "auto" and then release
Old 03-18-2013, 01:18 PM
b09676
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To SITKO1, thanks very much for all that info. I have copied it and will retain it as there are far too many little idiosynchrisies to remember with these cars.
The following users liked this post:
let er eat (10-12-2015)
Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM
bobstripower
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a great list just got a 12 vert, totalled my 07--theres a little plastic thing about halfway up the pillar on the drivers side--looks like a motion sensor, like my shelby has--if you reach into a parked car, thats not running, it sets off an aarm--is that whats in the vette
Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Pelee4me
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I tried this and nothing happened. Does this function still work on a 2012?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sitko1
This one and the owner's manual are both mistaken about part of it.

Instead of the Left Map Button, it should be the Auto Dimming Button.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 PM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 PM
b09676
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The little plastic thing on the drivers door pillar - I was told it's the mike for the voice activated nav system Can anyone confirm this?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by b09676
The little plastic thing on the drivers door pillar - I was told it's the mike for the voice activated nav system Can anyone confirm this?
Correct. And for OnStar.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow. Lots of good information. I've had mine eight years and didn't know some of it. Thanks for the information.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 AM
sitko1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by b09676
To SITKO1, thanks very much for all that info. I have copied it and will retain it as there are far too many little idiosynchrisies to remember with these cars.
Thanks, I read the C5 tips and tricks and tried to find one for the C6 and couldn't, but I knew that there had to something out there for us.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great info thanks..Delbert and SITKO1
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette tips and tricks

Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by bobstripower
thats a great list just got a 12 vert, totalled my 07--theres a little plastic thing about halfway up the pillar on the drivers side--looks like a motion sensor, like my shelby has--if you reach into a parked car, thats not running, it sets off an aarm--is that whats in the vette
mic for blue tooth
z51vett
Doug

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette tips and tricks