Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-1 reminder this weekend

Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default F-1 reminder this weekend

Starts this weekend so check where you need to get it if your interested in it as speed is toast. Only racing I have any interest in now.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,386 Likes on 742 Posts

Had to go to DirectTV to get NBCSN, but I'm ready to go.

Can't wait!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Pay close attention to their schedule as they are doing it a bit differently from the way Speed used to.

In addition to the practice sessions (they seem to be showing P1 and P2 but not P3,) qualifying and the race, they are also showing "The Grid" which I am assuming for now is the old "Mobil One: The Grid" from Speed, and they are showing a half-hour POST RACE show, "F1 Extra" so you DVR recorders need to provide ample time to catch that after the actual race coverage ends.

Also of interest:

1. They are sending the entire broadcast team to Monaco to cover the race!!! Austin, too.

2. Due to scheduling conflicts, the British and German Grands Prix will be shown on CNBC.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...lated/#content

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51040773

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 03-11-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Pay close attention to their schedule as they are doing it a bit differently from the way Speed used to.

In addition to the practice sessions (they seem to be showing P1 and P2 but not P3,) qualifying and the race, they are also showing "The Grid" which I am assuming for now is the old "Mobil One: The Grid" from Speed, and they are showing a half-hour POST RACE show, "F1 Extra" so you DVR recorders need to provide ample time to catch that after the actual race coverage ends.

Also of interest:

1. They are sending the entire broadcast team to Monaco to cover the race!!! Austin, too.

2. Due to scheduling conflicts, the British and German Grands Prix will be shown on CNBC.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...lated/#content

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51040773

Z//
Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

There is also a 36 hours in the life of F1 drivers called F1 36, but I havent seen a broadcast time for any of them as of yet.

There will also be rebroadcasts of practice and qualifying right before this week ends live race broadcast and a rebroadcast of the race on Sunday afternoon.

Did anyone catch the Countdown to F1 yesterday. Dont know if it will be regular show, but they did a recap of 2012 and 10 segmet highlight on 2013.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Milton Fox
There is also a 36 hours in the life of F1 drivers called F1 36, but I havent seen a broadcast time for any of them as of yet.
The first one is on Vettel and the first airing is set for Friday, March 29 at 7 p.m. ET.

There will also be rebroadcasts of practice and qualifying right before this week ends live race broadcast and a rebroadcast of the race on Sunday afternoon.
My Tivo already has the next race (Malasia) scheduled and shows (at least for now) that the first day's coverage will be only one practice session (P1?) and then only qualifying the next day. So no P2 or P3. Reruns for sure, though. That's different from tonight's coverage which is running both P1 & P2 back to back (P1 is showing delayed.)

So it would seem that each race's coverage will/may differ some.

Did anyone catch the Countdown to F1 yesterday. Dont know if it will be regular show, but they did a recap of 2012 and 10 segmet highlight on 2013.
Missed that completely. I'll maintain hope that they'll show THAT again, too

Z//
Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 366 Likes on 313 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Missed that completely. I'll maintain hope that they'll show THAT again, too

Z//
They were showing it just about every day this week, you may want to check your listings. Decent show but if you keep up with the sport on line, I doubt you'll learn much.

Speed used to send their crew to the Indy for the USGP, good to hear they're going to Austin this year, and Monaco is a very addition. I'd like to see Steve in the paddock some during the race weekend.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 93Polo
They were showing it just about every day this week, you may want to check your listings. Decent show but if you keep up with the sport on line, I doubt you'll learn much.
I checked. I missed it. Meh.

Speed used to send their crew to the Indy for the USGP, good to hear they're going to Austin this year, and Monaco is a very addition. I'd like to see Steve in the paddock some during the race weekend.
The problem is that they rarely have given them enough air time to do it right. Sending them to Monaco is kind of "so what" if the network doesn't take real advantage of the fact. Just being able to say "we're actually here for once!" is a big "who cares?" in my book. They need to watch the BBC/Skye F1 coverage to get the idea. It's like night and day compared to our coverage. If they (NBC/Comcast) want to turn F1 into a money-generating viewership like NASCAR and NFL then they need to pony up and provide those viewers with something to watch and sponsors with something worth sponsoring.

And they have GOT to do something re: Diffey. I'm not sure I can go through 19 race weekends listening to him. Pray for Varsha...

Z//
Old 03-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Default Qualifying rained out

For those interested...

The remainder of the rained-out qualifying (Q2 and Q3) will be shown tonight during the 9PM-10:30PM (Pacific time) period when they would have been showing the qualifying rerun prior to the race coverage. Check your listings

And it pleased me very much to have a nice Sam Posey piece in last night's qualifying show. So now the ONLY piece missing from the old Speed group is Varsha.

Z//
Old 03-16-2013, 02:18 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,386 Likes on 742 Posts

Z,

Thanks for the update. Q1 was, um, "unusual". Can't think of any time I've seen F1 cars spin, hit the wall, go to the pits for a new wing, and get right back out!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Z,

Thanks for the update. Q1 was, um, "unusual". Can't think of any time I've seen F1 cars spin, hit the wall, go to the pits for a new wing, and get right back out!
All depends upon how you hit the wall

The wings are "disposable" (at a hefty price) and the chassis is seriously stout. The deciding factor is whether you damage the suspension or, worse, the suspension mounts on the chassis. Massa hit going straight in and at a low enough speed to leave the suspension undamaged. The odds are generally against that, however.

Z//
Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For those interested...

The remainder of the rained-out qualifying (Q2 and Q3) will be shown tonight during the 9PM-10:30PM (Pacific time) period when they would have been showing the qualifying rerun prior to the race coverage. Check your listings

And it pleased me very much to have a nice Sam Posey piece in last night's qualifying show. So now the ONLY piece missing from the old Speed group is Varsha.

Z//
A minute before Sam came on I said to her I wonder if they will have Posey here too?

good I tape that too thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John Shiels
A minute before Sam came on I said to her I wonder if they will have Posey here too?
I really like Posey's pieces. They offer a nice poetic take to what is a harsh, mechanical world.

good I tape that too thanks for the heads up.
To all who record F1 stuff. Always add a LOT of extra time to:
  • Qualifying. Last night's bit was a good example. Things were well past the scheduled time when they called off the remainer of qualifying.
  • The races. Any rain delay or big accident can easily push things beyond what the broadcaster had initially scheduled for (The Canadian GP a couple of years ago ran well past 4 hours!)
  • Any show that FOLLOWS qualifying or the race. See the new "F1 Extra" post-race show for example. If the race goes three hours then...

My standard OP is to add 1 hour to practice and qualifying and 2 hours to the races. Then the night before I check f1weather.com and adjust things as desired.

Z//
Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it recorded. Thank you everyone for the reminder and updates.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:54 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

A good and interesting race!

And I had to laugh when Diffey said that next weekend, because he will be announcing the IndyCar race, the substitute for him on the F1 broadcast will be... Bob Varsha!! Excellent!!

Z//
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 AM
DVNTST8
Le Mans Master

Location: if you have a ? on my avatar, please contact me directly, you spineless twit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It doesn't appear that NBCS will be showing the races live. Which sucks.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

A good and interesting race!

And I had to laugh when Diffey said that next weekend, because he will be announcing the IndyCar race, the substitute for him on the F1 broadcast will be... Bob Varsha!! Excellent!!

Z//
According to his Twitter, Varsha will be doing Malaysia, Belgium and Korea.
https://twitter.com/bobvarsha

Even SWEETER!

Get notified of new replies

To F-1 reminder this weekend

Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DVNTST8
It doesn't appear that NBCS will be showing the races live. Which sucks.
Not sure where you got that idea. Last night's race was shown live. Next week's race in Malaysia is scheduled for 4 PM local Malaysia time which is 4:00 AM Eastern which is exactly what NBCSportsNet shows as the time for their race coverage.

Here's NBC's schedule:
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/ra...p?series=FORM1

And here's where you can get the actual local (race track) times and covert them to your local time:
http://www.formula1.com/default.html

See the list of races? Click on one and on the race's page - on the right - are the times and the "convert to my local time" button. Use that to compare with what NBC is telling you.

Z//
Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
According to his Twitter, Varsha will be doing Malaysia, Belgium and Korea.
Which just further convinces me that Varsha will replace Diffey next year for the F1 races. Maybe even sooner once Speed goes away. Fingers crossed...

I wonder what channel is going to pick up Barrett-Jackson?

Z//
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Diffey's Nascar style shouting is extremely annoying to me. He'd be a good radio announcer, but that's about it IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-1 reminder this weekend