C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked out of Corvette Battery Dead, How to OPEN FOB to reveal key?

Old 03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
jodocV7
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out of Corvette Battery Dead, How to OPEN FOB to reveal key?

I want to open the fob so i can get the physical key.

I have Corvette 2009. The FOB has a button at the bottom but it's a very thin and not very pressable button. i push it but it feels like i'm it doesn't go down at all.

and i pull the thing at the bottom and nothing happens it's so hard.

I read and saw a video where the guy does it with a FOB for his 2011 corvette but in that FOB, it was really easy to pull it out.

Am i doing something wrong?

Anyway what happened is the car battery seems dead so i can't open it with the wireless battery operated FOB even though we already replaced the FOB battery.

Anyways, to pull the Physical key from the FOB, do i need some special tools or I'm too weak or something? I'm afriad to pull really hard cause it might break the fob.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It is stiff at first. Press the button and pull on the silver part that holds the key. No tools required.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:37 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I believe there's some info in the owners manual for replacing the battery or else there is a sticky post.

Mine is an '08 so its probably the same. Yes, you do push in the tab / button near the metallic shiny base. Push it in to remove the key. And yes, it is pretty hard to push it in and pull out the key. I actually broke mine the day I brought it home from the Corvette Museum.

To open the fob, after pulling the key out, I just used a knife inserted in the very thin opening down the sides to pry it open. I started closest to the open part (where the key used to be).

It does feel like an ackward process.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:38 PM
jodocV7
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CyberBullet
It is stiff at first. Press the button and pull on the silver part that holds the key. No tools required.
Thanks a lot. I'm struggling like crazy.. pulling with all my might and i can't get it out. and yes i push on the button at the same time.

It feels liek the whole key fob is gonna break cause i'm pulling so hard. so i don't know what to do.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
jodocV7
6th Gear

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I believe there's some info in the owners manual for replacing the battery or else there is a sticky post.

Mine is an '08 so its probably the same. Yes, you do push in the tab / button near the metallic shiny base. Push it in to remove the key. And yes, it is pretty hard to push it in and pull out the key. I actually broke mine the day I brought it home from the Corvette Museum.

To open the fob, after pulling the key out, I just used a knife inserted in the very thin opening down the sides to pry it open. I started closest to the open part (where the key used to be).

It does feel like an ackward process.

Interesting. great info!..
WHen i pull with al my might.. The side by where the key is(i can see tiny piece of metal ) is the side that separates at least a little opening.

The other side doesn't separate at all.

So i should try and insert something into the tiny opening and then work from there?

I tried inserting a dime. Almost fits but not yet. it's still very tiny oepning
Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Name:  fob-open.jpg
Views: 6160
Size:  246.1 KB
Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Name:  fob-opened.jpg
Views: 6102
Size:  255.1 KB
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM
jodocV7
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
OHhhh
So you're oepning the whole thing from the side?
I thought i just had to remove the metal thing on the top by pulling it
Old 03-10-2013, 12:49 PM
jodocV7
6th Gear

Chevy dave. Well i just want the key out. i'm not looking to get into the insides. I'm not looking to replace the battery of the keyfob. Had that done already.

I just want the key out.

But you're saying since pulling it is almost impossible, that i should just open the whole thing like in your picture?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:52 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jodocV7
OHhhh
So you're oepning the whole thing from the side?
I thought i just had to remove the metal thing on the top by pulling it
if you just want the key out out of the fob and you arent interested in opening it to replace battery, then just press this i have circled in red.
then pull the silver out, i use a key ring to pull with, and if you have to , gently take pliers and squeeze the button in red..
Name:  fob-key.jpg
Views: 10691
Size:  141.6 KB

you can always open it up and get the key, seemed a little extreem but you can

fyi... some say their key almost fall out on their own.. lol.. both you and i have to use the damn pliers to squeeze it to open it.. lol

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-10-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

By the time we traded our 2006 (old style fob) for the 2009 (new style fob), I'd read all the threads here about how to remove the key. But when I tried to take it out for testing (a few don't work), it wouldn't come out.

Despite pressing hard on the release button, and using a spare key through the slot to get a better pull, it just wouldn't come out. Finally, brute force triumphed and it came out. But after doing that just a few times (I test it every year), the retention mechinism broke and the key wouldn't stay in the fob. So I bought a Fob Jacket (Google it) and that holds my key in place for now. Also allows me to slip a piece of stiff plastic inside the jacket to keep the various buttons from getting pressed by stuff in my pocket.

I plan to get a new fob, just before my GMPP expires in another 50k miles.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 03-10-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

After you finally get the key out, take it and get it copied. The newer style fob is not very robust and you can't count on being able to remove the key from the fob on a regular basis...the mechanism is just not that good.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
By the time we traded our 2006 (old style fob) for the 2009 (new style fob), I'd read all the threads here about how to remove the key. But when I tried to take it out for testing (a few don't work), it wouldn't come out.

Despite pressing hard on the release button, and using a spare key through the slot to get a better pull, it just wouldn't come out. Finally, brute force triumphed and it came out. But after doing that just a few times (I test it every year), the retention mechinism broke and the key wouldn't stay in the fob. So I bought a Fob Jacket (Google it) and that holds my key in place for now. Also allows me to slip a piece of stiff plastic inside the jacket to keep the various buttons from getting pressed by stuff in my pocket.

I plan to get a new fob, just before my GMPP expires in another 50k miles.
good idea. i can with all my strength, pull the key, but pretty sure my wife never could, so in emergency, she'd be stuck. might just break her latch in the fob, and get a jacket..
Name:  fob-jacket.jpg
Views: 5979
Size:  116.5 KB
Old 03-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Good thought about the wife. Surprisingly, my wife's fob will release the key easily enough for her to do, but mine was the stubborn one. Go figure...
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
After you finally get the key out, take it and get it copied. The newer style fob is not very robust and you can't count on being able to remove the key from the fob on a regular basis...the mechanism is just not that good.

And if you lock the fob in the hatch/trunk dead zone, it's a lifesaver to have a spare key in your wallet (or hidden on the car).

Under $10 at most key shops. Tell 'em to use key blank B-106 (same as a Saturn).

I really like the fob covers. Cushions the fob from damage, not slippery, easier to find a bright color, different colors for different fob's.

http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...tte/Categories

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 03-10-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, have you tried the hatch release button?

Maybe your battery still has enough juice that the button will work.

And no, you don't have to crawl thru the hatch.

There's a pull-tab (on the left) that manually opens the driver's door. There's also a pull-tab for the fuel door.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

The tape over the keyhole is a very good idea that I have done also...highly recommended!

Get notified of new replies

To Locked out of Corvette Battery Dead, How to OPEN FOB to reveal key?

Old 03-10-2013, 04:31 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

i clean my key once in a while with WD 30, and also spray trunk lock....keeps all well..
Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bud miller
i clean my key once in a while with WD 30, and also spray trunk lock....keeps all well..
How does that compare to cleaning it with WD-40?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a spare made and keep it on my key ring incase I lock the fob in the car or trunk. I am thinking about getting a spare fob and programming it to the car. Then take the battery out and hide it in the trunk. I think it will still work in the glove box without the battery. Then I could get home if I loose my fob.

Last edited by duramaxsky; 03-10-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locked out of Corvette Battery Dead, How to OPEN FOB to reveal key?