C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk wont close

Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Trunk wont close

Ugh...if its not one thing its another. 2005 C6. I opened the trunk tonight with the remote to put something in it and when I dropped the lid, the mechanism didnt pull the latch in and the trunk stayed open. You can hear the locking mechanism working and attempt to pull the latch down but it dosent seem to catch. If I shut it hard, it will close and reopen. I checked for obtacles to see if anything was blocking it but there is nothing there. Any ideas out there? I did a search and come up with the trunk not opening but nothing about it not closing.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

there are some on your topic..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=34445195

generally they all have the same stuff..

if you press down while closing will it engage the pull down?
if you drop from 6" will it catch and engage?
if you have a window open will that help it catch when pressing down and/or dropping from 6"?
is there some adjustment possible to make it engage earlier?

mostly i think the thread i included has no specific solutions

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-06-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM
schizcat
Drifting

link you included doesnt work.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by schizcat
link you included doesnt work.
try again, i redid it (fyi.. i used search words... "hatch wont latch" and then for search titles only)

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-06-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Jmelz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps the hatch button is gunked up? The one above the license plate. I heard random clicking sometimes after using my trunk and took the time to clean out the switch per another forum thread a few weekends ago, and now, not only did the noise go away, but now that button is like butter, and works great!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jmelz
Perhaps the hatch button is gunked up? The one above the license plate. I heard random clicking sometimes after using my trunk and took the time to clean out the switch per another forum thread a few weekends ago, and now, not only did the noise go away, but now that button is like butter, and works great!
New button. Besides, its not that it wont open, it wont close unless slammed. The latch motor still turns, just that the latch doesnt catch.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
schizcat
Drifting

So I just tested something using some info from link and more searching. If a door is open, the trunk just shuts. With doors closed, windows up, the trunk will go down but the hatch mechanism wont pull it in. Odd. first time this has happened. I have had the car for 7 years and never seen this
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Corsair79
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have noticed something similar. Have a 2005 C6 M6, when I shut the trunk with any door open or window down, it just smoothly shuts. If the doors are shut and windows up, the trunk hits and pops back up slightly and then you can see and hear the motorized latching mechanism pull the trunk lid down all the way. I guess having the doors open or windows down allows air to escape but it's weird that the trunk just smoothly shuts with no sound of the motorized latch moving, only when the doors are closed and windows up. I'm currently trying to solve my hazard lights not working and the clicking from behind the switch that sounds like a relay. Another thread said to check the connection behind the right tail light, and that was also supposed to solve possible trunk popping open/closing issues. Have you tried checking that connection?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:50 AM
05 c6
Intermediate

I have an 05 c6 too and if it's cold out anywhere below maybe 45 degrees my trunk won't latch either but if I get a hair blow dryer and hold it on it for a few minutes it shuts fine then. In the summertime I never have a problem so
Old 03-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Corsair79
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

For follow up, the problem with the rear hatch having issues closing or randomly popping turned out to the the button above the rear license plate which was corroded and stuck in the depressed position. $10 repair after ordering a replacement and a breeze to install.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:57 PM
05 c6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corsair79
For follow up, the problem with the rear hatch having issues closing or randomly popping turned out to the the button above the rear license plate which was corroded and stuck in the depressed position. $10 repair after ordering a replacement and a breeze to install.
I actually discovered that I wasn't closing the trunk right I would set it down on the latch mechanism and then push slightly from the top where as your supposed to open a door and push the trunk past the point the Pistons will hold it up and let it slam and now no matter what temperature it is it will shut

Get notified of new replies

To Trunk wont close

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk wont close