C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials

Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials

This weekend I drove from GA. to IL.
Newly purchased 2005 Corvette "Road Trip".
My improvements before trip
Peel & Seal, 3 layers in rear cabin, 1 layer on both wheel wells, and 1 layer behind both seat.
The rear cabin was loaded with 2 soft-shell-suitcases, and 3 thick winter coats. The Peel & Seal plus the suitcases and coats should be more than needed to damped my exhaust drove noise problems.

I used a Bruel & Kjaer Hand-held Analyzer Type 2250 (This device is used to measure sound levels at different frequencies in db)
At cruising speed of 70 to 80 mph I measured the following.

40Hz at 102db
125hz at 102db

40hz and 125hz are low frequencies. 96db in low freq in very loud.
I am getting readings of these freqs at 102db. THis is not GOOD to the body.

Frequencies this low can only be filtered by using a large solid mass that will not resonate.
Most filter materials used will only help with the higher frequencies and road noise. My corvette is like a giant sub-woofer mounted on rubber tires. Everything in the car is resonating at these freqs. Plus the shape of the rear window amplifies the effects
Some components of low freq can not be heard by the human ear but can still cause some damage to your ears if exposed too long. My car caused my "ear to jaw" to hurt after 6 hours of driving...I am only 49 year of age.

The exhaust system in my car is "engine to cats to resonators to straight pipe". TOO LOUD.

Solution for me....Going back to OEM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Find a used NPP and retro fit it. Install the mild to wild kit and you're good to go.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like you need to back to stock or at very least get an actual muffler instead of straight pipe.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

45 years of modifiying each of my car's exhausts ended with the purchase of my 2012 ZR1 with NPP. I love the 'loud-when-you-want-it' feature with the M2W addition. I am too old to want to live with a drone on a trip. No more experimenting and messing with aftermarket exhausts for me. (famous last words )
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

hum I am amazed they your car is loud with all those... oh wait there are no mufflers. Never mind you car should be loud very loud with no mufflers. Haha try route 66 from B & B
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Find a used NPP and retro fit it. Install the mild to wild kit and you're good to go.

To the OP-
Thanks for the data, instead of just saying "It's too loud".
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Thios would be great, if you can find one. If not OEM would be better than irratating noise!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
NCorvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Straight pipes are for children who love ample noise, not quality noise.
Get a good exhaust system, first. After you buy the exhaust, then measure the frequencies and use a 1/4 wave resonator tube to get rid of drone
Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

x 3 and it should sound good with OP's setup
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I have tinnitus so I can't hear squat anyway!! My car has NPP.It's ok,I guess. I like BASSANI better but what the hell.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

We do alot of road trips as well, so I was and am leery about aftermarket exhaust noise. I really don't want a long distance drive ruined by a high decible overbearing racket.
I stuck with OEM, and did the 3/4" hole muffler modification. It's a bit louder, but not enough to ruin a long distance road trip.
Even before I did the muffler mod, I was prepared to buy new OEM Mufflers if it made it too loud.

Now if my car was only for weekends and short trips, then I might think about louder sounding mufflers.

Good luck
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Check out my new post to address the muffler change...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-bad-idea.html
Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
We do alot of road trips as well, so I was and am leery about aftermarket exhaust noise. I really don't want a long distance drive ruined by a high decible overbearing racket.
I stuck with OEM, and did the 3/4" hole muffler modification. It's a bit louder, but not enough to ruin a long distance road trip.
Even before I did the muffler mod, I was prepared to buy new OEM Mufflers if it made it too loud.

Now if my car was only for weekends and short trips, then I might think about louder sounding mufflers.

Good luck
I need more detailed information about this 3/4 mod everyone is talking about
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The drone noise you are hearing is entering through the transom and being amplified by the cone shaped reflective rear window of your coupe into the passenger compartment. I could tell you how to fix this, but you would still remain a nuisance by having an illegal exhaust system, which you now seek to exchange for yet another.

Last edited by laconiajack; 02-25-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:27 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have long tubes without cats and B and B route 66 and it was loud. A month ago I install dynamat from the back of the seat to the rear bumper . Drone is cut back BIG TIME. I was almost gonna put back the stock muffler until I installed the Dynamat, IT WORKS.

Last edited by speedraider; 02-25-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
The drone noise you are hearing is entering through the transom and being amplified by the cone shaped reflective rear window of your coupe into the passenger compartment. I could tell you how to fix this, but you would still remain a nuisance by having an illegal exhaust system, which you now seek to exchange for yet another.
The drone is the rear tub vibrating
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I actually like the drone. Reminds me I'm driving a sports car. Then again mine is not my daily driver. My DD is very quiet. That being said, yeah a complete lack of mufflers woukd be pretty loud.

Get notified of new replies

To MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR

Good luck
Can someone explain to me the "3/4 hole muffler modification..I need more details,
Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggied
Can someone explain to me the "3/4 hole muffler modification..I need more details,
Here is the Thread. Pics at post #175.
I didn't drill the 1 1/2 hole as he did. I just drilled the 3/4" hole straight thru. I then used a 1/2 " electrical box plug to cover the hole, and had it welded after I knew that I was satisfied with the 3/4" hole.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ler-mod-9.html

Hope it helps. At the very least, it's good reading

Here is a pic of the holesaw and the plugs I used. The bag says 3/4 but I used 1/2 plugs.
A 3/4 " plug will fill a 1" hole.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 02-26-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Wow jack your posts get more annoying daily. You are the nuisance. This guy just bought the car and is having trouble with it. if you would have read his first few post regarding this issue you would have seen he didn't even know what he was dealing with until we (forum members) informed him that he had no mufflers. You are really something else man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials