C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I would like to hear everyone's input regarding a purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 PM
whitecamaross
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would like to hear everyone's input regarding a purchase

Good afternoon all,

I have recently decided to go back to a Corvette after owning a C5 z06 back in 2005. I originally had the car for around 2 years and had to let it go due to my back being in a bad condition because of a herniated disc. That being said, i am contemplating purchasing a C6 z06 or even a Grand Sport for no more than $40k.
I have read extensively regarding the Grand Sport and even though my heart was set in purchasing a Z06, I feel that the Grand Sport is a better suited car for my situation since it will be my daily driver and also because i have heard the big issue with the z06 dropping valves, etc which i simply can't afford happen to me. Like i said, i plan on daily driving this car and occasionally taking it to the track here in West Palm Beach. I even contemplated an Edelbrock supercharged Grand Sport with 10k miles this morning, but i came here to post first in order to make sure i am making a smart move.
My question is, How reliable is a supercharged C6? Would gas mileage decrease with such supercharger? would a stock C6 z06 be a smarter purchase if i am to daily drive this car?
I am curious to hear everyone's input..
thanks for your time
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

i have a 2011 GS with edelbrock 1591 sc.

1) you will lose alot of warrenty from GM with the sc
2) you will need to ensure you have a private tech (qualified) with the sc just in case
3) your mileage will remain the same, except your load foot will lower mileage
4) sc will last for probably as long as you will ever have the car
5) value of car with sc will decrease
6) it will be hard to wipe the smile off your face .. lol
Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to run into a lot of people who dislike the GS because it blends the lines between the base and Z. Personally I like it, for those who can't afford the Z, it's a nice step in the right direction and gives you some useful extra things like wider tires and dry-sump oil system.

The Z is really where it's at, I'm not sure the valve issue is really that wide spread though, someone else may need to chime in though - I see a thread every once in awhile for it happening but I see way more inquiry threads than actual occurrences.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
whitecamaross
Racer

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
i have a 2011 GS with edelbrock 1591 sc.

1) you will lose alot of warrenty from GM with the sc
2) you will need to ensure you have a private tech (qualified) with the sc just in case
3) your mileage will remain the same, except your load foot will lower mileage
4) sc will last for probably as long as you will ever have the car
5) value of car with sc will decrease
6) it will be hard to wipe the smile off your face .. lol
ok, so would you say that going with a stock z06 be a smart choice if i am to daily drive the car?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
whitecamaross
Racer

Originally Posted by shawn672
You're going to run into a lot of people who dislike the GS because it blends the lines between the base and Z. Personally I like it, for those who can't afford the Z, it's a nice step in the right direction and gives you some useful extra things like wider tires and dry-sump oil system.

The Z is really where it's at, I'm not sure the valve issue is really that wide spread though, someone else may need to chime in though - I see a thread every once in awhile for it happening but I see way more inquiry threads than actual occurrences.
i have been a little turned off by the whole valve problem on the z06. i mean, i dont want to buy a z06 to only drive it like im 77 years old because i am in fear of revving it up hard here and there.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
whitecamaross
Racer

i found a black edlelbrock supercharged 2010 grand sport with red/black interior, A6, only 10k miles selling for $41k at a local dealer. Is that a fair price ?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Haven't heard any negative accounts of SC'g a LS3, so if SCing's the way you want to go have at it. OTOH always remember making more power will cost more fuel. Simple as that.

I've an '08 Z06 bought "new" in March of '09.
Like you the idea of forking over BIG bucks repairing that which really shouldn't break to begin with was, and remains a concern. Why I bought a GMPP (ext war) & left the LS7 bone stock.
It frags, Chevrolet rplaces w/ new LS7.

Can't think of another car so sweet and as such plan holding on to the gem as long as I can, or, 'til the extended warranty runs out anyway.

Good luck, C6s of any kind are a fabulous experience all car guys/gals must experience at least once. Your having already owned a C5 Z06 was good, now try a new-old C6 & see what you say.
Post what you finally decided to do, OK?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
whitecamaross
Racer

Originally Posted by Landru
Haven't heard any negative accounts of SC'g a LS3, so if SCing's the way you want to go have at it. OTOH always remember making more power will cost more fuel. Simple as that.

I've an '08 Z06 bought "new" in March of '09.
Like you the idea of forking over BIG bucks repairing that which really shouldn't break to begin with was, and remains a concern. Why I bought a GMPP (ext war) & left the LS7 bone stock.
It frags, Chevrolet rplaces w/ new LS7.

Can't think of another car so sweet and as such plan holding on to the gem as long as I can, or, 'til the extended warranty runs out anyway.

Good luck, C6s of any kind are a fabulous experience all car guys/gals must experience at least once. Your having already owned a C5 Z06 was good, now try a new-old C6 & see what you say.
Post what you finally decided to do, OK?
Sounds good. I see you are not the corvette owner that takes his car to the track? i am assuming this, not really sure though.
I plan on daily driving it, and yes drag racing it occassionally here and there.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
Sounds good. I see you are not the corvette owner that takes its car to the track? i am assuming this, not really sure though...I plan on daily driving it, and yes drag racing it occassionally here and there.
Don't track my Z and I live 20 miles from Road America. LOL
On a decent day just climbing in & cruising the backroads around my spread delivers all the smiles I'll ever need. YMMV.

Fully understand how tracking could be a ton of fun,I get it.
Just the same for me I'm unwilling to risk wrecking something so dear -- which I undoubtably would. Drag racing shouldn't present an issue though, providing the wheel's kept straight.

IF you buy a car with a valid warranty know any mods to engine void said warranty.
IF you get a car out-of-warranty, then the issue's moot.

More than one [new] Z06 owner (here) learned the harsh truth behind what negates wannanty coverage too late. NOT an envious position knowing unless $15,000+ is coughed-up for replacing the LS7 it's merely a very pretty car body incapable of going anywhere.

DO your research my friend, get GM's maintance history and a Carfax. If the target car has a reasonably clean record, go for it.
Preowned is an excellent way to get into the hobby for many while much less $$ than buying factory new.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're gonna buy a z06, just buy an unmodded car with a warranty and you wont have any problems even if the motor grenades itself.
If you're gonna sc and track the car, make sure the work is done properly and the correct kit is selected, at one of the track days at summit point guy with a sc car could only go for about 10~15 min before every idiot light turned on his dash because of overheating
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If you had back problems, a stiff suspension might make them return.

Why take the risk, when you can get a very enjoyable, fast, and good handling car; that still has a good ride.

Get a GS with the F55 suspension, or a base car with either the base suspension or F55.

Aftermarket supercharged engines are sometimes reliable, but often times are not. Tracking the car will increase your chances of problems with the blown engine.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I think way too much is being made over the so called "valve issue" for the LS7. I have driven track only Z06s at Spring Mountain over the course of the last 6 years and never saw or heard of a valve issue. Some of these cars had over 30K track miles. That said, I was at Spring Mountain in 07 and there was a guy doing an HPDE on the Sunday before class started and dropped a valve on his 06Z06.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM
whitecamaross
Racer

i found some interesting information about the 2010 grand sport. here it is:

05/12/2011 Florida
Damage Report Accident reported
Involving right rear impact
It hit a motor vehicle
Right rear primarily damaged
Minor damage reported
Airbags did not deploy

is this a bad purchase ?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
whitecamaross
Racer

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I think way too much is being made over the so called "valve issue" for the LS7. I have driven track only Z06s at Spring Mountain over the course of the last 6 years and never saw or heard of a valve issue. Some of these cars had over 30K track miles. That said, I was at Spring Mountain in 07 and there was a guy doing an HPDE on the Sunday before class started and dropped a valve on his 06Z06.
wow, you have one beautiful Corvette. i saw that same package but in a hard top gs and it sucks it was out of my price range. I see it parked at the dealer every single day. Just beautiful
Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

wow, you have one beautiful Corvette. i saw that same package but in a hard top gs and it sucks it was out of my price range. I see it parked at the dealer every single day. Just beautiful
Thanks It drives just great too!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:31 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

i found some interesting information about the 2010 grand sport. here it is:

05/12/2011 Florida
Damage Report Accident reported
Involving right rear impact
It hit a motor vehicle
Right rear primarily damaged
Minor damage reported
Airbags did not deploy

is this a bad purchase ?
Depends on 1) the price and 2) what was replaced/repaired
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
whitecamaross
Racer

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Depends on 1) the price and 2) what was replaced/repaired
the price is $41k, car has 10k miles, year 2010, and edelbrock supercharger along with full exhaust and almost brand new tires.

Get notified of new replies

To I would like to hear everyone's input regarding a purchase

Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

the price is $41k, car has 10k miles, year 2010, and edelbrock supercharger along with full exhaust and almost brand new tires.
Assuming no frame damage and a quality repair, I wouldn't have any issue with it, other than no drive train warranty. That was not important to me when I modified my 06

If the Edelbrock SC had been available when I did my motor, that is what I would have used.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

To me its not. But not sure on the trim level. Since it has full exhaust you are not only void of the GM warranty but you are void of the EdelBrock warranty. It also has been damaged, not too bad I am willing to bet but still, even if it is fixed it is not worth as much as one that has not.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
whitecamaross
Racer

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
To me its not. But not sure on the trim level. Since it has full exhaust you are not only void of the GM warranty but you are void of the EdelBrock warranty. It also has been damaged, not too bad I am willing to bet but still, even if it is fixed it is not worth as much as one that has not.
i was able to talk him down to $40k. Let me ask you, what is in your opinion a good price for this vehicle?

Quick Reply: I would like to hear everyone's input regarding a purchase