View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
dangerz
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to dangerz

Lots of work done between yesterday and today. First thing I did was get my corners switched over to LED switchbacks. I used this as a semi-guide to help me along the way: http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...ad.php?t=13713

It's pretty straight forward though. I was able to do it without removing the brake ducts. You just have to be flexible enough :] I did run into an issue with the new lights though. It turns out that the switchbacks I ordered were too big. The batteries in my caliper were dead, but you can make out the markings on the ruler:

Original 16mm
Click the image to open in full size.

Switchback 17mm

After figuring this out, I shaved the base of the switchback down by 1mm (.5 on each side) and they fit perfectly. If you're having problems getting yours to fit, you might have the same issue. I contacted the vendor that sold me the parts and he said he's going to talk to his factory to see what happened.

I also went ahead and installed Amber LED corners as well. These were plug and play. Remember that you should test them before putting everything back together. If you put them in the wrong way, they won't light up.

Once I got everything sorted out, I installed the Hyperflash harness. You could probably do this by just removing the knee bolster, but I went ahead and removed all the interior panels because I needed to replace the ignition key bezel with a new one. Plugged that in, tested everything and they all lit up. I put the car back together and left it for this morning.

This morning, I got it back up on ramps. I wanted to work on the lowering I did last time. As a reference, this is the guide I used: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f117/...our-c5-107705/ When I had lowered it before, it had settled uneven. The left side was lower than the right and there wasn't much of a rake. First thing I did was work on the front.

Got the wheels off first. I then loosened the bolts as far as they would go until they would lock. I then turned them back 1/4 turn so they don't seize up. After getting the wheels back on, I did the back of the car. I ended up loosening the back all the way until the little washer looking thing on top was just touching the nut. I then reversed it 3 3/4 turns. This set it so I had just about 3 threads showing. I lowered the car and went for a nice drive. I measured it and I have a little under 1/4 inch rake between front and back. I figure I'll let it settle for a couple days and check again. If all goes well, I'll be taking it to get aligned next Friday.

After I got that done, it was time for the skip-shift eliminator. I hate the skip-shift. If I wanted the car to tell me how to shift, I would've gotten a manual. I also don't see how it could possibly save gas. Whenever I'm forced into 4th, I end up having to give it more gas to compensate for the gear. Anyway, I picked up this skip-shift eliminator. I have to give this vendor lots of credit. I went through the instructions before making any changes and I got caught up at the part where you're verifying wires. I figured I would try calling knowing full well that it was Saturday morning. I was extremely surprised when Richard picked up. He answered all my questions and even offered more tips to help me along. You can't beat that kind of customer support.

The skip-shift comes with excellent instructions with lots of pictures, but I took some along the way just in case. I also found it a lot easier to take the battery out instead of work alongside it. For those that don't know, removing the battery is easy.

Directly in the center of that picture is a bolt. After you've removed the negative and positive cables from the battery, simply loosen that bolt (I believe it's 12mm, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Once the bolts is fully released, you can pull it up with the rubber attachment. At that point, the battery is free and you can lift it out of the bay. Once I got it out, the install went very well.

There were some minor gotcha's along the way. I ended up having 4 wires instead of 3 along the top row. The notes say that this is expected and that the most important thing to check is that the other 3 wires are the correct colors. You can see in the picture below, there's a gray, yellow, purple and yellow w/ black stripe. The yellow w/ black stripe is the extra one. As long as the gray/yellow/purple are in the right order (the terminals are also marked A,B,C) then you're ok and you can ignore the 4th wire.

Mine were the correct colors, so I proceeded forward. The kit includes a post-removal tool to get the gray wire terminal out. I was having a hard time releasing it. I found that if I get a pair of eyeglass screwdrivers, I could use them to unclip the metal post and then use the post-removal tool that's included in the kit to push the gray wire down.

Once I got that part done, the skip-shift was totally disabled. Next was disabling the light. I'd like to say this was easy. The process is relatively straight forward: Find the white wire and cut it (amongst other little things). Unfortunately the wire loom is very tight, so it makes any kind of maneuvering around in the fuse box a pain. I was able to finally get it (sorry, no pictures of this part). I was going to try the method that disables the light without cutting, but it was too much of a pain and I can't imagine anyone actually wanting the 1-4 shift light.

So my tally for this weekend is:

Skip-shift eliminator installed
Lowering fixed
Clear Corners installed
Switchback LEDs installed
Hyperflash Harness installed
Ignition Switch Bezel fixed

Nothing technical, but plenty of work done. I washed her, went for a nice drive and took some pictures for good measure. I might try and find someone local to try and clean the paint up a little bit. It's had 10 years of exposure and it shows. I think a good detailer can fix most of it though. I gave it a good claybar/polish/waxing last weekend but I'm pretty rusty at that. I need to read up on it again.

On a different note, I also purchased a 2003 Corvette brochure. I got it from the parts forum on here. It contains some awesome pictures in it. I really appreciate this shot of a black z06, just like mine :]

dangerz is offline   Reply With Quote