C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about PLASTIDIPPING my whole car a different color....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Thinking about PLASTIDIPPING my whole car a different color....

So... We've all seen it done on YouTube and it seems very simple and the best part about it other than being inexpensive... It's temporary. So... I've been kicking around the idea of spraying my whole car!

Colors I'm considering are...
-Satin Black
-Satin White
-Satin Lime Green
-Satin Orange
-Satin Red
-Satin blue (baby blue)

I say satin because I don't want a completely matte finish and I plan to add some of their glossifier product to whatever color I choose for a nice satin finish.

I'm honestly thinking Satin White is probably my favorite option of all the colors I listed. Just seems like it would come out the best without being too much and the car would look killer in that color with the black headlights, all other lenses smoked and black badges. But also for that reason, they will match with any color I choose.

Car is currently on some 20x10 and 20x13 360 forged spec 5's with carbon faces, black inner barrels and chrome lips and hardware. Wheels are super sexy! I'm not opposed to using black plastidip on the lips and hardware though if needed since this stuff peels right back off if it doesn't turn out as I envision it will.

What color would you guys go with? I was thinking the lime green would be pretty cool too with the black accents the car has.

Lmk fellas!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Since you can just peel it off, I would give the Satin Lime Green a shot, or even the Satin Orange. Something differrent that could really look good, never know give it a shot.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with dvilin on the Lime Green. If it comes out looking good enough for you, then you can try any color you want after that. It will only cost a little bit of $$ and your time. Can't wait to see pics. You just might convince me to follow suit.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Got to see this...
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM
articwhitec6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just n fyi. I have a buddy who did his eclipse. He just sprayed the trim pieces and front lower and rear lower bumper. When he peeled his off it didn't just come right off and there is still some residue leftover. So, beware not everything works like the they say and this guy is as picky as they come. But I will say the stuff looks great on. Hope it helps and good luck!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
jwaldro2
Racer

Go for it man it will be sick!!!!!
3) Satin White
1) Satin Lime Green
2) Satin Orange
5) Satin Red
4) Satin blue (baby blue)

I ranked them what I think would look the best. And I have a red car. I really think lime green or orange would be AWESOME!!! Keep us updated
Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 AM
MLCRookie
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not that brave but I would like to see pics if you do it.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Ill def post pics when I do this. I figure it'll be a few weeks still before I make a move but figured I'd get the first part over... Decide on a color.

I'm thinking Lime Green would be amazing. That was initially my #1 since its my favorite color. I've seen a painted lime green z06 and LOVED it but being painted and glossy, the satin finish may not turn out looking as good which is my only reservation. Orange I thought would be cool too. Just something bright and totally different. White looks good on anything so that's always a safe out if I do it and then want to do a color change I guess.

I've been told it peels right off. If it leaves residue or damage, that makes me a little hesitant to try it. My black paint is in excellent shape so i'd hate to ruin a good thing especially with the paint being a permanent issue unless I pay the $$$ to fix it should the plastidip leave anything on it. That would suck!

I just want to do something wild and different. I've seen it done on a bunch of different cars but I don't think anyone has done a Z06/Widebody car yet.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

The GF is telling me lime green and orange are gonna be too much on the car. She just doesn't have the same appreciation for the bright and exotic colors. Lol Her vote is Satin white being number one and Satin black being number two. My feeling is... White is obviously a great color choice to fall back on and since the car is already black, satin black really isn't that much of a change to even be worth it IMO although it does look pretty sick when done right.

She has a murdered G8 GT on black 2010 camaro SS 20's. She says she would do the white on her car so it looks like this will be turning into a multi car dipping... Lol
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by WickedVetteLT4
So... We've all seen it done on YouTube and it seems very simple and the best part about it other than being inexpensive... It's temporary. So... I've been kicking around the idea of spraying my whole car!

Colors I'm considering are...
-Satin Black
-Satin White
-Satin Lime Green
-Satin Orange
-Satin Red
-Satin blue (baby blue)

I say satin because I don't want a completely matte finish and I plan to add some of their glossifier product to whatever color I choose for a nice satin finish.

I'm honestly thinking Satin White is probably my favorite option of all the colors I listed. Just seems like it would come out the best without being too much and the car would look killer in that color with the black headlights, all other lenses smoked and black badges. But also for that reason, they will match with any color I choose.

Car is currently on some 20x10 and 20x13 360 forged spec 5's with carbon faces, black inner barrels and chrome lips and hardware. Wheels are super sexy! I'm not opposed to using black plastidip on the lips and hardware though if needed since this stuff peels right back off if it doesn't turn out as I envision it will.

What color would you guys go with? I was thinking the lime green would be pretty cool too with the black accents the car has.

Lmk fellas!
Friends don't let "friends" Plastic dip thier Corvette's ! maybe after an hour you will see it's a

DUMB IDEA!
Age cut on dipping!
Under 18 good Idea! 19 might think on it! Adult dipper! NO WAY!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 02-22-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Lime green !
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Lots of love for lime green. Think I might just have to do it!

Some people love the plastidip idea and some hate it. I expected some "why the hell would you do that?" responses but that's the only one so far. Lol I've seen them do new Audis, new M3's, new CTS-V's and other high end cars so why not do a Vette?

Thread is open for suggestions and opinions which is why I posted this so feel free to speak your mind fellas. Lol

Last edited by WickedVetteLT4; 02-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM
2slow95vert
Advanced

I've been thinking about doing my all black GS in matte white also. I think it will look sick. Let us know how the project goes
Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 AM
jwaldro2
Racer

She will like it when its on there!!!! Lime green or orange would look sick. Plasti dip has a glossifier out too so you would do one coat for satin and add as many as you want to make it more glossy. If you wanted satin black they have a matte clear finish that you could do. Satin white would be really hard to keep clean I would think. By the way it does not leave a residue and its easy to keep clean. You can use a pressure washer on it if you do enough coats! Go on their youtube page and watch some vidoes. Personally I have done my emblems on the vette. My wheels on my nissan titan and the wheels on my sisters s2k. Stuff is magical!!! PS my vote is lime green or orange. With lime green a slight lead!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2slow95vert
I've been thinking about doing my all black GS in matte white also. I think it will look sick. Let us know how the project goes
I think the white is by far the safest choice as far as being happy with the outcome since we already know that'll look good but the lime green would be cool just cause its so different and exotic. Just wish there was a way to know in advance how it would look without having to be the guinea pig. Lol

I'm liking the lime green idea though. Couple coats of glossifier and it should look really nice. Maybe ill Satin White her car first to see how that turns out... And then do mine. Lol I thought about the white being hard to keep clean but I think any bright color would show dirt the same amount. From what I hear though, this stuff doesn't hold dirt in it and washes off pretty well.

Last edited by WickedVetteLT4; 02-22-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about PLASTIDIPPING my whole car a different color....

Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM
philip_g
Drifting

I thought about it but I'm waiting for someone else to take one for the team first
Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 AM
donzi1
Pro

Satin White...Ed
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

How long will it last and how much will is cost?

Quick Reply: Thinking about PLASTIDIPPING my whole car a different color....