C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering bolts SHOT

Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts
Default lowering bolts SHOT

second set of lowering bolts i have installed on my 09. The car only has 12,000 miles so needless to say the bolts stink!!!! Wouldnt be right to call out the 2 different vendors i used "BUT" i can say i think most if not all the lowering bolts are the same. They just dont hold up and the rubber part wears thru quick, then starts to squeek, then wears into your control arm then youre really screwed. i corner pretty hard for sure but they should last longer then 6k per set.
This is just my experience and my driving habits arent like others who may not have problems with them but i did. I'm an ASE master certified tech who knows a little about stuff,,, i thot about going hardbar but with the idea they may rub a groove in the control arm i decided not to. The issue i have with the ones i have is weak/bad rubber product that just doesnt last.
Couple pics for lookin, be safe. pAuL

Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Mine looked like that. Buy hardbar lowering bolts. Seem to be better. Only downfall you have to lube them up well.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Yep...been there...don't that.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

I've seen that quite a bit over the years with those kits. It's hard to believe they keep selling them. They have to know by now
Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

well, if it's not the vendors' fault, then it must be the manufacturers' fault---that's assuming (correctly, I presume) that you're not doing something wrong in the installation.

so, wouldn't it be helpful to either mention the manufacturer or the vendors---not to criticize them as vendors, but to warn others that the lowering kits don't seem to last? unless you think you've already done that by saying any you buy, other than hardbar which you haven't tried, won't last.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=HANNY;1583160676]second set of lowering bolts i have installed on my 09. The car only has 12,000 miles so needless to say the bolts stink!!!! Wouldnt be right to call out the 2 different vendors i used "BUT" i can say i think most if not all the lowering bolts are the same. [B]They just dont hold up and the rubber part wears thru quick, then starts to squeek, then wears into your control arm then youre really screwed. i corner pretty hard for sure but they should last longer then 6k per set.
This is just my experience and my driving habits arent like others who may not have problems with them but i did. [COLOR="Blue"]I'm an ASE master certified tech who knows a little about stuff,,, i thot about going hardbar but with the idea they may rub a groove in the control arm i decided not to. The issue i have with the ones i have is weak/bad rubber product that just doesnt last.

sure it would, they all know their selling absolute crap
Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

If I have issues with the hardbars I will go to a stock bolt and cut a rib.

I was very surprised to see the torn bolts like above didn't groove my LCa though
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Time to go coilovers for lowering with no issues.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 AM
switchblade six
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this only happen in the rear...I want to lower as well and am aware of this issue so was going to cut a rib on stock...the rear has twice the rubber surface area so they must be under much more stress
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

My rears were tore more than the fronts. Fronts tear too
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chets ls3
Mine looked like that. Buy hardbar lowering bolts. Seem to be better. Only downfall you have to lube them up well.
I have hardbar bolts as well in the rear (for about 30k miles now) and used to lube them based on comments I heard on the forum. A few weeks ago I was doing my winter-cleaning and as part of that I always clean off and replace the grease. When I cleaned it off this time, I clearly noticed that the dirt that got caught in the grease had worn an indent in my control arm The arm is pretty thick at that point, so I'm not too worried, but I left them ungreased this time to see if it gets worse... and if there are any noises...

Sonny
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Well I got caught in a monsoon last night. This morning hardbar bolts are squeaking their button off. Looks like I might go the remove a rib route. Also I haven't changed out the fronts but have a brand new set of hardbars for front too.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock ones wear out too; just take a longer time since the rubber part is thicker. The rubber part of the snubber actually rub on the control arm during suspension cycling because there is a difference in control arm and spring radii.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peter pan
I second this motion.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Drumhawk
I second this motion.
I third this.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Coilovers are high lol

Get notified of new replies

To lowering bolts SHOT

Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

I GOT TIRED OF BUYING PINS OVER AND OVER. I MADE THESE OUT OF SELF LUBRICATING UHMW. CHEAP AND NON WEARING. I have had my post taken down previously as they thought I was selling them and IM not a vendor. I am not selling them, just offering suggestion. Caps that go on the facotry pins, they have been on my car for 4 months and no wear thus far. Daily Driver too.
Screw paying up to $40+ a set. And to buy the Delrin ones, seriously this was way easier and alot cheaper and super easy to replace. I just pop the new one on when it wears.. Oh wait.. It hasnt.. LOL
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 PM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

The ride height is the same as the aftermarket in terms of low adjustability.
I have had no negative result so far. If you have a lathe I say get the material and make a set. If not, its not rocket science. A machine shop can wittle out a set in no time at all.
Material is like 20 bucks. I cut pucks from a rod of stock and then spun out the centers to fit. No squeaks, no grinding, and low height adjustable. I did put a little dab of marine grease despite lubrication from material but only so it wouldnt grind dirt in to the arms and material. I use alot of this stuf on automated cells at work, its good stuff (UHMW), and tough wearing.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM
switchblade six
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperchargedStroker
The ride height is the same as the aftermarket in terms of low adjustability.
I have had no negative result so far. If you have a lathe I say get the material and make a set. If not, its not rocket science. A machine shop can wittle out a set in no time at all.
Material is like 20 bucks. I cut pucks from a rod of stock and then spun out the centers to fit. No squeaks, no grinding, and low height adjustable. I did put a little dab of marine grease despite lubrication from material but only so it wouldnt grind dirt in to the arms and material. I use alot of this stuf on automated cells at work, its good stuff (UHMW), and tough wearing.
GM and Vendoers listen up!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lowering bolts SHOT