Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] c6 zr1 or c7 zo6

Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM
C7envy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default c6 zr1 or c7 zo6

I am trying to decide what to do. I really like the new c7 but ideally I don't think when and if a zr1 version comes out I am not sure I will be able to afford a 130k car at that point, so I'd have to settle with a zo6 version.

There are a lot of zr1s brand new selling for 105k now and my current car I could sell for around 70k (if I wait for a c7zr1 obviously that number will be much smaller), and knock out pretty much most of the payment down to 35k for 60 months which is nothing.

So I'm putting this in the zr1 section since I know you people know about how the car is for driving and issues that may come up over time etc and if it is just worth it to wait for c7zr1 or settle with a c7zo6.

The only reason I'm considering this is for a car I'm going to keep for the next 8 years I really don't want to settle otherwise I'll just get rid of it 2 years later kind of like my current car. So essentially I would need the c7 to have over 500 hp and more carbon fiber parts, along with carbon ceramic brakes for me to be satisfied with it.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

None of us have any idea what the future C7 high-performance variant model will be called, when/if it will be released
(though I suspect that many of us think there will be such a model within a couple of years), or what its performance/specifications will be. It's all speculation right now...

All cars depreciate, some models faster than others. If you want a C6 ZR1 and you like the economics you have outlined,
then get one. If you don't like it as much when the future "C7 ZR1 equivalent" is available, you can trade-up again later on.
You can also buy a used, low mileage 2010 or 2011 ZR1 for quite a bit less than new, and still have plenty of warranty.

But don't think that you're going to skin the cat financially, in any of these scenarios. Pay now or pay later...
It really all boils down to what do you want to drive, and how much are you comfortable spending to achieve
the same, over a defined period of time.

I also don't think that anyone who owns & drives a C6 ZR1 believes they've "settled" for the car...it is an awesome machine !

G-L !

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 02-16-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

One exists, one doesn't yet.......probably another year, but most likely two......and even then me personally won't buy a first year car so for 3 years what are you going to do besides age 3 years???? is it worth the wait? Life is short.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
One exists, one doesn't yet.......probably another year, but most likely two......and even then me personally won't buy a first year car so for 3 years what are you going to do besides age 3 years???? is it worth the wait? Life is short.
See this is how I was when I bought my 13 gt500. Now because I wasn't patient and didn't know about the killer deals on new zo6s and zr1s right now I missed out on the better car. I'm trying to not make that mistake again, being I get a zr1 now and then later when the performance edition comes out for c7 and whoops the floor with the current zr1 I'm going to kicking myself in the *** again.

At least when the zr1 came out in 2009 (I think it was?) it will essentially be good till 2014-2015, so that is quite a bit of time to be king of the hill. I know a c7 version of a zr1 will ride 10x better and handle better than the current one.

ughhh decision decicions lol. I should have been car shopping for this stuff in like 2010 so a year after the zr1 came out that way I have many years to enjoy it before the new model is vastly superior.

This is why I won't buy a GTR either because it is going to get a complete redesign in like 3 years.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:20 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
None of us have any idea what the future C7 high-performance variant model will be called, when/if it will be released
(though I suspect that many of us think there will be such a model within a couple of years), or what its performance/specifications will be. It's all speculation right now...

All cars depreciate, some models faster than others. If you want a C6 ZR1 and you like the economics you have outlined,
then get one. If you don't like it as much when the future "C7 ZR1 equivalent" is available, you can trade-up again later on.
You can also buy a used, low mileage 2010 or 2011 ZR1 for quite a bit less than new, and still have plenty of warranty.

But don't think that you're going to skin the cat financially, in any of these scenarios. Pay now or pay later...
It really all boils down to what do you want to drive, and how much are you comfortable spending to achieve
the same, over a defined period of time.

I also don't think that anyone who owns & drives a C6 ZR1 believes they've "settled" for the car...it is an awesome machine !

G-L !
I was referring to the zo6 as settling compared to a zr1 at least when they first came out. It wasn't untill later if I am not mistaken that essentially the zo7 package came out and made a zo6 the same as a zr1 but without the supercharger.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

essentially accurate, except for the engine differences; thanks for clarifying your point.

and let's acknowledge that the Z06 is still one of the two best Corvettes ever made (the jury is
still out on the new C7--time will tell). IMO, neither car is a compromise--just different.

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 02-16-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM
C7envy
Racer

essentially accurate, except for the engine differences; thanks for clarifying your point.

and let's acknowledge that the Z06 is still one of the two best Corvettes ever made (the jury is
still out on the new C7--time will tell). IMO, neither car is a compromise--just different.
True. I just like how the CF is exposed on the zr1 at the current point lol. Though now I can get that on zo6 too from the aftermarket. And I think the fender vents and the zr1 badge looks cooler on the z06. Plus then you have the factor in my need to have to want the best and be different than everyone else.

This is a damn expensive hobby/problem/addiction lol
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It certainly is...no cure, either !
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

I tried to find the antidote for years, couldnt find it so here i am!!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
C7envy
Racer

Meh I'll be patient. I know how my addiction is and I don't like wasting money trading cars in.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

unfortunately, you'll likely take a beating on your Shelby on a trade...

maybe you could get more by selling it outright (as you stated in your OP ?)
Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 PM
DGDS88T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are rumors out there that say C7 will never see a ZR1 model. I understand your problem with the GT-R. I used to own one before I traded it for my ZR1. When I traded it in, I didn't even think about what will the C7 or the next ZR1 will be like, because I don't really care. I like the current one for what it is. I am sure the next one will be better in every way, but that is also true for many new sports car. However, some of the older models of these are still more desirable than the new ones. For example, I will take any mint skyline GT-R over the R35 anytime. E30 m3 over E92 m3, Air cooled 911 over water cooled etc..

With that said, I will probably go back to the GT-R once the evolution is finished (after the new model comes out).

I enjoy a car for what it is and each model have its own personality. I see each model as an entity not as the replacement of an older model or the predecessor of a newer model.

It's hard to play the catch up game...Why bother?

GL on your decision .

Last edited by DGDS88T; 02-16-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by DGDS88T
There are rumors out there that say C7 will never say a ZR1 model. I understand your problem with the GT-R. I used to own one before I traded it for my ZR1. When I traded it in, I didn't even think about what will the C7 or the next ZR1 will be like, because I don't really care. I like the current one for what it is. I am sure the next one will be better in every way, but that is also true for many new sports car. However, some of the older models of these are still more desirable than the new ones. For example, I will take any mint skyline GT-R over the R35 anytime. E30 m3 over E92 m3, Air cooled 911 over water cooled etc..

With that said, I will probably go back to the GT-R once the evolution is finished (after the new model comes out).

I enjoy a car for what it is and each model have its own personality. I see each model as an entity not as the replacement of an older model or the predecessor of a newer model.

It's hard to play the catch up game...Why bother?

GL on your decision .
This is true. The only thing with the current edition is I HATE the way the interior is set up and that crappy nav. I know caravaggio could fix pretty much everything but still that nav lay and such just sucks. Same with the feel of it in general. Plus I never was a fan of the plasticy panels that you can push in with your fingers. I will be test driving a few vettes on monday soon and the dealership has 3 zr1s (that I doubt they will let me drive) so I will take a look. Plus I like how the c7 is way more adjustable. I could live with a zr1 version of that for a long time regardless if the c8 or w/e becomes even better. I mean at some point you have to ask yourself how much more do you really need?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
C7envy
Racer

unfortunately, you'll likely take a beating on your Shelby on a trade...

maybe you could get more by selling it outright (as you stated in your OP ?)
Oh on a trade most certainly I will lose. I could sell outright to eliteautos or someone else probably for what I paid. Including HREs with PSS tires my car has like 10k in mods though. Though 7k of that is from the HREs with tires.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

you ought to be able to recover the cost of the HREs and most of the cost of the tires (depending on wear)...
Old 02-16-2013, 08:00 PM
C7envy
Racer

you ought to be able to recover the cost of the HREs and most of the cost of the tires (depending on wear)...
Lol I don't even have them yet. They are going to be shipped to me in a couple of weeks.

I could use the HREs on the zr1 or c7 vette if the offset is the same. But I rather use p40sc on a car like that rather than p40

Get notified of new replies

To c6 zr1 or c7 zo6

Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

The car is awesome for driving.. . Very comfortable, I daily drive it to work. . It's also great on long road trips. Just today I spent over 7 hours and 350 miles in it driving up the hwy 1 coast..

Very, refined street manors.. . But if you press the go pedal, she's a monster! A car with very little compromises.

15k epic miles so far..

Now on to this fictional C7Z (?)
From a practical standpoint you're looking at a couple years at best.. Then you'll need to navigate around limited supply, markup and likely no incentives / deals. Also, you'll have the opportunity to test out the flying roofs, service active handling and popping endlinks (or whatever the first round gitters are)

So by importance::

(1) value for $$, model refinement = ZR1
(2) first with new toy / exclusitivity, upgraded tech, = C7

Ether way sounds like a high class problem.. gl
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
The car is awesome for driving.. . Very comfortable, I daily drive it to work. . It's also great on long road trips. Just today I spent over 7 hours and 350 miles in it driving up the hwy 1 coast..

Very, refined street manors.. . But if you press the go pedal, she's a monster! A car with very little compromises.

15k epic miles so far..

Now on to this fictional C7Z (?)
From a practical standpoint you're looking at a couple years at best.. Then you'll need to navigate around limited supply, markup and likely no incentives / deals. Also, you'll have the opportunity to test out the flying roofs, service active handling and popping endlinks (or whatever the first round gitters are)

So by importance::

(1) value for $$, model refinement = ZR1
(2) first with new toy / exclusitivity, upgraded tech, = C7

Ether way sounds like a high class problem.. gl
Definitely is a high class problem. hmmm I guess I just have to drive a current one. After playing around some I could still actually afford a c7 version if I estimate it at 130k and my car in say 3 years doesn't depreciate past like 40k. I feel like that makes sense 65k car with 10k in mods after 30k miles depreciating 25k? That may be overboard I'm not entirely sure but if it is, then it only helps my situation.

But if I did it now with my selling value I'd have to pay only 30k more for a 3lz 2013 zr1 brand new and that is a very attractive notion as well.

Already know what mods I would put on it too. First I'd have to send it to caravaggio for a full interior, then akrapovic ti exhaust, apr cf rear diffuser, and HRE p40sc, and I'm set lol.

Last edited by C7envy; 02-16-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] c6 zr1 or c7 zo6