C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remember when C6 was born?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Default Remember when C6 was born?

I don't because back then I could not afford one and I wasn't a member here yet. Looking at another thread here about C7 controversy it was asked if the C6 took the same kind of hits back then. I did some digging around here and came up with a few threads from the past. Pretty interesting reading....

Here are a few.

NO WOW FACTOR

STYLING

COMMERCIAL

WHAT DO YOU THINK

LIKE IT OR NOT
Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't remember anyone 'hating' the C6 when it came out. They were all pretty much excited about it. I was enthused enough to order an '05' which I still have. Of course, the most fun year to own it was the first. It's been a great car. I think the C7 will do just fine. It is a different economy and culture now though so, we'll see.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Oh I remember it well, and there was just as much pushback and disappointment with the C6 as there "appears" to be with the C7. Everyone was all freaked out because there were no more pop-up headlights... I remember comments like "it's not a corvette without pop-up lights" or ... this will be the end of Corvette..

same ol same ol sht! just different generation Since they C7 came out I get dejavu here everyday..its like a repeat of the C6 release
Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember when they first came out and I didn't like them. I liked the C5 better. It took me about 4 years before I full appreciated the looks of the C6.

I felt the same way about C4s and never have appreciated their looks. Give me a C3 any day over a C4.

Oh, and the C7s? No thanks at this time. Maybe in 2018.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Oh I remember it well, and there was just as much pushback and disappointment with the C6 as there "appears" to be with the C7. Everyone was all freaked out because there were no more pop-up headlights... I remember comments like "it's not a corvette without pop-up lights" or ... this will be the end of Corvette..

same ol same ol sht! just different generation Since they C7 came out I get dejavu here everyday..its like a repeat of the C6 release
Agreed. Looking through some of those threads it seems like a lot of the haters were current C5 owners.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Thank You for taking the time to find these old threads. It was interesting to read them. I wasn't part of the forum in the C5 days and only joined when I bought a C6. For me, the C6 was an exciting new departure from the hidden headlight days, so I was excited about owning the new Euro design.
The C7 is a brand new re-design, much more 21st century in all areas, and will be a big hit with a broadened demographics in my opinion.
As much as I love the C6, I can't wait for the C7 to be on the highways, and to have one sitting in my garage.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I remember when I first saw a C6 on the road -- I sped up to see it better and gave the guy a thumbs up becasue it was so cool & I had never owned a Corvette then. I had been looking at C5's and was very impressed with the shorter rear, crisper lines and, yes the headlights. Still love the C6 style.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Yeah, I remember seeing one for the first time. I thought I was dreaming if I ever thought I could own one. I never really did any research on it since I had a fairly new car already. I had no idea what they cost back then and always thought it was a lot more than it really was.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Like a lot of C5 owners, I was "troubled" by the headlights but I soon got over it. Went to a local dealer on Christmas eve day and bought a ''05 coupe on the spot and took her home. Kept it for over 100K miles.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by MDPD23
Like a lot of C5 owners, I was "troubled" by the headlights but I soon got over it. Went to a local dealer on Christmas eve day and bought a ''05 coupe on the spot and took her home. Kept it for over 100K miles.
uh huh..this time its c6 owners troubled by the rear tail lights. They grow on ya after awhile..I think they will be awesome, as the whole car will be.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:33 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

ditto
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I'm not knocked out by the taillights on the C7 but I certainly think that the car has "wow factor"!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 90%+ of potential buyers are influenced mostly by exterior styling. I didn't think the C5 was all that bad looking, nor that the C6 was all that much better looking, but until the LS3 engine/transmission/steering improvements I didn't think it was worth buying, and the '09 with blue tooth, variable ratio steering, and chrome surround crossed-flag emblems finally convinced me to buy a Corvette. I don't think on the whole the C7 is that bad looking, although I'm not enamored with the corporate (i.e. Camaro) rear end and sedan looking digital dash board, but I'm totally unconvinced the complexity, added weight, size and future repair costs of variable valve timing, gasoline direct injection and cylinder deactivation, all in the name of meeting government fuel economy goals, are worth an insignificant 3% increase in horsepower. I also suspect the C7 may have handling/steering problems that will make it more crash prone.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

the first thing I liked best on the C6 was the rear...the exact same thing that Im disliking the most on the C7...

C5 - great looking car, esp the Z
C6 - all around improvement in every aspect IMHO
C7 - Ill just have to see it in person
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I just joined CF last year because that is when I broke my long hiatus as a Corvette owner, so I wasn't on here for the C6 debut.

I am not surprised that there was some "future shock" with the C6 when it first came out. It's human nature. I myself have said that right now I give the C7 about a 7 out of 10, but that might increase because I have been around long enough to know that some designs grow on me over time.

I owned a 1972 Stingray right out of college and owned/drove/repaired it for 5 years. After I sold it I went a long time without a Corvette - but bought, modded, and raced a bunch of 4th gen Camaros. I sold the '72 in the latter part of the C4 run. I never did like the C4 very much (sorry C4 guys) so I never bought one. I also thought the C5 was "OK". I drove a few and rode in some others and the C5 just never quite moved me to become a Corvette owner again. Then the C6 came out and I thought... NICE!... and it steadily got better and better and finally I took the plunge and last year I bought one... discovered that I had really been missing out... and so I bought another... so that now I have two C6's and am happier than a pig in manure.

I may own a C7, but it needs to grow on me a tad. Maybe it's just a little ahead of it's time for me at the moment. Another forum member said, comparing the C6 to the C7: "I'll take curves (C6) over creases (C7)" and I can see where he is coming from. The C7 is very angular, almost jaring from some views, and yes, for the millionth time, the rear... It'll just take some getting used to, but I may sit out a generation (again) and just play with my C6's.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm amazed at the number of people back then who actually preferred the styling of the C5 to that of the C6.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

everyone bitching will be all OMG OMG thats a C7 when they see one for the first time on the road.

Get notified of new replies

To Remember when C6 was born?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 PM
pantherchams
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
everyone bitching will be all OMG OMG thats a C7 when they see one for the first time on the road.
I think you are probably right. The pictures and unveil (especially) left me dissapointed...but it looks awesome in action on the commercial. Excited to see one in person.

Ben
Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Interesting to read some of those.
I just hope someone doesn't reply to one of those threads now.
Mods will be wicked pizzed.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 AM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I wondered the same thing about the C6. I did not have the expendable money to have one when they came out. But I always thought the headlights and how they "cleaned up" the rear made the car that much better. I am also glad I waited till I got my 09 as the LS3 and other refinements made it an even better package. My only regret is I should have got a ZO6, after all the money I have spent on my "Base" I could have got one. But at the time I was just glad to be able to finally have a Vette period. I also did not have another 20k and also have a problem paying a luxury/fuel charge on any car.
I really do not care for the "lumps" in the front bumper of the C7. And I think the rear Q-panel will get some serious road rash as it curves out in front of the tire. People bitch now about the scoops on the wide body chipping, but I think this will be much worse. I understand anyone wanting to have the "first" but as all the changes came about in the C6, I would want to wait. The C7 will be an awesome car, after all it is a VETTE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remember when C6 was born?