C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else waiting for a motor from HKE?

Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 AM
beavisr1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone else waiting for a motor from HKE?

I'm trying to find out if anyone is in the same boat I'm in? I paid in full for HKE to build a long block 402 almost 2 years ago. I have a ton of saved emails with empty promises that my motor is almost complete and will be shipped shortly. The last email I received from Erik last week (2/5) said he would send it out ASAP and update me daily on the progress, I’ve not heard from him since.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 AM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Dam sorry to hear that, you must not that be in that much of a rush because I would raise hell after 2 months
Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 AM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

D@mn..... 2 years. I would have been screaming bloody murder after six months. Any good engine builder can turn around a motor in that time frame no matter how complicated. Plus paying full put front is never a good idea. Most good builders I know of want have up front and half when completed. That gives the builder good motivation to finish the motor in a timely manor. Good luck, but my gut feeling is that you might be SOL.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 AM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kromberg
D@mn..... 2 years. I would have been screaming bloody murder after six months. Any good engine builder can turn around a motor in that time frame no matter how complicated. Plus paying full put front is never a good idea. Most good builders I know of want have up front and half when completed. That gives the builder good motivation to finish the motor in a timely manor. Good luck, but my gut feeling is that you might be SOL.
Exactly, never pay in full that is crap.

The builder we use turns them around in a week to 10 days.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

2 Years?? I would have blown a gasket after 2-3 months! Is there another side to the story perhaps?

There is absolutely no excuse that exists for a 2 year motor build! Very Sorry to hear you go through this crap
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Agreed with above; I start calling my previous builder after ~8 weeks.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ya know what the sad part is,

Takes about 6 hrs of machining on the block, 2 hrs balancing the crank, maybe another 8hrs cleaning, gaping the rings, etc

A nice comfortable 8 hrs for assembly = 24hrs total or 3 days
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 AM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH

Takes about 6 hrs of machining on the block, 2 hrs balancing the crank, maybe another 8hrs cleaning, gaping the rings, etc

That seems a little rushed.... For $12K or more, I would expected the builder to take their time and do things by checking and double checking. Parts for a long block run around $8K to $9K, the difference is for labor and I would expect it to be done.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
RickClarke23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used him for 1 build. Took 6 months with us contacting him every week. Motor was great when we finally got it and work was top notch. However in the end we found another builder who is just as good and is able to get motors out in a timely fashion.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kromberg
That seems a little rushed.... For $12K or more, I would expected the builder to take their time and do things by checking and double checking. Parts for a long block run around $8K to $9K, the difference is for labor and I would expect it to be done.
Ok, add another day for long block & another day for double checking everything along the way

5 days total, not weeks, months or years
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
2 Years?? I would have blown a gasket after 2-3 months! Is there another side to the story perhaps?

There is absolutely no excuse that exists for a 2 year motor build! Very Sorry to hear you go through this crap
This is just sad on the shops part. Not good business at all here. Robert
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 years? You've got a lot more patience then I do... LME did an awesome job with my motor and took them only 5 weeks. Thats with me telling them to take their time.

I gave them half of the money for the motor up front, and the other half when they completed it. I've heard of Erik taking maybe several months to finish a motor, but YEARS? That's just
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Isn't your name David Beard? Ive seen the short block over there for a while, and it was put together. I feel for your situation. Everytime I go over there I look around to see whats been turned over and what hasn't. I don't know the stories behind a lot of the motors overthere. but I wonder when I see the same motor two or three times. I'm always wondering did the person not pay the balance or what's going on etc... Sorry to hear this.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH

I completely agree. Its never taken me more then two 8 hour days to machine and assemble a engine. Some of the time frames I have seen people wait are rediculous. I dont care how good the engine builder appears to be. There is only so much **** you can check...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Erik has had some personal issues over the past couple of years that have taken him away from his business on occasion. Certainly not an excuse for that kind of delay. Sorry for your situation. I sent Erik my last motor two years ago.

Erik's head machinist and assembler left him a while back (deliberately regardless of what Erik tells people) and started working as a CNC machinist for a big oil operation. He saved up and bought the machines needed to machine and build engines and started a little shop that he works on the side. He's as good as they get, honest as they come. He is **** beyond most people's comprehension and he learned it from Erik. I can get you forum members in touch with him if you want to PM me. He's not "cheap", but I would rather pay more for top notch work and not have to deal with the poor communication and wait.

PM me if I can help.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I use a local shop and "help" him along I've learned a lot over the years doing so and it sort of helps speed up the process. During the busy season it can take some time, but 2 years is crazy as 2-3 months is the most I have experianced. Thats just do to my junk sitting around and not getting worked on as I am low man when it comes to the shops income. You see a lot of big time shops put the little guys on the back burner for the big shots even if they were first and I really don't think thats right, but it's normal.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Erik has had some personal issues over the past couple of years that have taken him away from his business on occasion. Certainly not an excuse for that kind of delay. Sorry for your situation. I sent Erik my last motor two years ago.

Erik's head machinist and assembler left him a while back (deliberately regardless of what Erik tells people) and started working as a CNC machinist for a big oil operation. He saved up and bought the machines needed to machine and build engines and started a little shop that he works on the side. He's as good as they get, honest as they come. He is **** beyond most people's comprehension and he learned it from Erik. I can get you forum members in touch with him if you want to PM me. He's not "cheap", but I would rather pay more for top notch work and not have to deal with the poor communication and wait.

PM me if I can help.

I will DEFINITELY vouch for the builder Bret is talking about. He is also in Houston. He finished mine in about 3 months, but we were held up on pistons from wiseco for 1 month. No doubt he can do one less then 2 months and the attention to detail is second to none..

I will definitely use him again for my future LS builds..

Feel free to PM me for his business info.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else waiting for a motor from HKE?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
p1bz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've dealt with 3 of HKE's engines. 1 was "freshened" had 2 mismatched pistons and used rod bearings, 1 is a 346 that just plain out don't perform from mismatched components, and 1 was a 427 that wouldnt turn over by hand when picked up. Two of those engines are for people in this thread. Some reason people are scared to say on the web what they say in person.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by blownbluez06
erik has had some personal issues over the past couple of years that have taken him away from his business on occasion. Certainly not an excuse for that kind of delay. Sorry for your situation. I sent erik my last motor two years ago.

Erik's head machinist and assembler left him a while back (deliberately regardless of what erik tells people) and started working as a cnc machinist for a big oil operation. He saved up and bought the machines needed to machine and build engines and started a little shop that he works on the side. He's as good as they get, honest as they come. He is **** beyond most people's comprehension and he learned it from erik. I can get you forum members in touch with him if you want to pm me. He's not "cheap", but i would rather pay more for top notch work and not have to deal with the poor communication and wait.

Pm me if i can help.
h2?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM
2bridges
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beavisr1
I'm trying to find out if anyone is in the same boat I'm in? I paid in full for HKE to build a long block 402 almost 2 years ago. I have a ton of saved emails with empty promises that my motor is almost complete and will be shipped shortly. The last email I received from Erik last week (2/5) said he would send it out ASAP and update me daily on the progress, I’ve not heard from him since.
HOLY HELL!!
May I suggest a lawyer can draft a "motivational" letter pretty cheap.
If I were in your shoes - I would go after the money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else waiting for a motor from HKE?