C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What A Day!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM
esema
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 53 Posts

Default What A Day!

So this morning I have breakfast with my Corvette buddies here in Southern California and afterwards my friend Dale and I decide it would be cool to go and visit Guldstrand Motorsports on the off chance Dick would be at his shop working.

Armed with a sign that hangs in my garage and some photos that Dale took of Dick with John Fitch we headed for Burbank. As luck would have it Dick was there and we were able give him the photos of he and John as well as share some Corvette memories.

What a kind and gracious man he is. You can see that the competitive fire still burns brightly and he was very happy to autograph my sign in the "sweet spot" right over the word "Corvette".

Dick Guldstrand

After we left Guldstrand's we were driving home on Riverside Drive in North Hollywood when I noticed that we had just passed "George Barris Kustom City". I thought it would be fun to stop in and check out some of the movie cars and customs on display in the Barris shop.

As Dale and I were walking around the Barris shop Dale asked a young lady if George ever came by the shop. She politely told us that he was there almost every day and that she was in fact George's daughter. Dale remarked that it was too bad he wasn't there today. She laughed and pointed over her shoulder. There was George Barris!

To cap a great day George Barris was happy to autograph my sign in the second "sweet spot" right over the word "America".

George Barris

Barris Kustom City

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend a moment of time with these two automotive legends. Their names are now right next to the names of my very best friends in the Corvette world on a sign that to me "says it all"!

Dick Guldstrand

George Barris

Corvette - America's Only True Sports Car
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I see George has the cardboard cut out version of the Batmobile in his shop, rather than the $4 million version. Might explain why he's still at work.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,464 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

That's cool! I bet that smile is still on your face. During the NCM grand opening I sat down at a table with Dick Gulfstrand. One really nice gentleman. Dennis
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,259 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Oh, that's just crazy,
nice!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 PM
esema
Racer

Actually Brent it looks like George has another potential 4 million sitting in his shop...

Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentF
I see George has the cardboard cut out version of the Batmobile in his shop, rather than the $4 million version. Might explain why he's still at work.
Troll much?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by esema
So this morning I have breakfast with my Corvette buddies here in Southern California and afterwards my friend Dale and I decide it would be cool to go and visit Guldstrand Motorsports on the off chance Dick would be at his shop working.

Armed with a sign that hangs in my garage and some photos that Dale took of Dick with John Fitch we headed for Burbank. As luck would have it Dick was there and we were able give him the photos of he and John as well as share some Corvette memories.

What a kind and gracious man he is. You can see that the competitive fire still burns brightly and he was very happy to autograph my sign in the "sweet spot" right over the word "Corvette".

After we left Guldstrand's we were driving home on Riverside Drive in North Hollywood when I noticed that we had just passed "George Barris Kustom City". I thought it would be fun to stop in and check out some of the movie cars and customs on display in the Barris shop.

As Dale and I were walking around the Barris shop Dale asked a young lady if George ever came by the shop. She politely told us that he was there almost every day and that she was in fact George's daughter. Dale remarked that it was too bad he wasn't there today. She laughed and pointed over her shoulder. There was George Barris!

To cap a great day George Barris was happy to autograph my sign in the second "sweet spot" right over the word "America".

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend a moment of time with these two automotive legends. Their names are now right next to the names of my very best friends in the Corvette world on a sign that to me "says it all"!

That looks and sounds like and AWESOME day!!! Congrats!!!

Hitch
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I love days like that ..... It makes me remember why I'm here. Top it off by having lunch lunch with John Z [H].
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,541 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Pretty cool to meet two legends in one day . They both have great reputations. I have met George but not Dick.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Dick has always been a wonderful and entertaining gentleman; we spoke regularly when I was the Viper plant manager (several of his customers came to see me about Viper suspension settings and to see how we shimmed the Viper steering rack to eliminate bump-steer), and we had dinner together at the NCRS National Convention at Park City, Utah in 2005. He brought one of his "Guldstrand Specials" and gave me a great ride in the mountains.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Dick has always been a wonderful and entertaining gentleman; we spoke regularly when I was the Viper plant manager (several of his customers came to see me about Viper suspension settings and to see how we shimmed the Viper steering rack to eliminate bump-steer), and we had dinner together at the NCRS National Convention at Park City, Utah in 2005. He brought one of his "Guldstrand Specials" and gave me a great ride in the mountains.
I was lucky to meet him a few years ago at the Monterey Historics. He came over to where we had a mini Corvette corral on the outside of turn 5, introduced himself, and signed autographs on our programs. An interesting guy and a real gentleman!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
esema
Racer

John, I just thought of something Dick told us yesterday that had us in stitches. As we were leaving he told us that he still gets occasional chances to take spirited drives with his friends. His final comment was "if they hassle me about my age and driving skills I tell them 'Just don't forget who you're messin' with!' ". What a classic.

Along those lines when he signed my copy of "Corvette Thunder" a few years back I thanked him but didn't look to see what he wrote until a couple of weeks later. Above his signature he wrote "Stand on it!".
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hagerty interviews George Barris, Feb 13, 2013:

Get notified of new replies

To What A Day!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What A Day!