C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My 62 Fuelie- This will get interesting!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default My 62 Fuelie- This will get interesting!

So,,a few of you may remember I picked up the "deal of the century" on my 62 fuelie several months ago. Actually, my good friend knew a retired gentleman who he has known for years, who owned the vette since 1967 and was the second owner. He bought the car and immediately suffered "buyers remorse" and sold it to me.

Fast forward to this week and I have had it parked in my shop and not been around it for a while. I went over to mess around with the car and discovered it does not have the VIN tag on the top of the steering wheel column! I cannot believe something so basic was overlooked when I rec'd the car. I had originally asked my friend if he checked the VIN (which he said yes), however, he only checked it from the title to the engine block to ensure it was the original "born with" fuelie engine. I guess I was too focused on verifying the car was an original fuelie and totally spaced the obvious.

Here is the interesting part. The State of Indiana requires a police check on out of state cars so I had an officer look at the car, he took the title VIN, and he ran the car through, which came back clean. He hardly even looked at the car. So, I take the police report and and the Tenn title to the Indiana DMV and get my title work finished.

So now I am sitting with a clean Indiana title and a car with no VIN tag!!

In doing research I think these are my options;

1. Get a repo VIN tag from Datatags in Colorado, who requires verification (clean title, owners, VIN tag picture from frame, etc.) and spot weld it back on. I am assuming this is ok if I can verify the VIN on the frame.

2. Get a state issue VIN from the State of Indiana, if I can. Seems like this will be an issue since I already have an Indiana title.

3. Part the car out, just kidding (kinda)

I went to the shop today and tried the wooden wedge on the frame trick (from the inside to create more clearance) and a mirror, but did not see anything. I have also heard the VIN is about 1/4 inch from the outside of the (top) frame (middle of driver's seat location), so I will have to try it again as I was looking more from the inside frame.

In any event, quite pissed at myself as you would guess.

So, the question is, what is everyones input on what course they would take if they were in my "stupid" shoes????

Any input welcome,,,,,,Eric

Last edited by edub63vette; 02-11-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Better hope the Frame matches the Title...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

.the top of the steering column is where the Vin tag is located...its nothing to do with the trim......as there isn't any trim tags

all this tag really identifies is the production number...{or the Vin}....
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

My bad,,,should have stated VIN tag, not trim,,,,,,,,,,
And yes, 66jack, you will hear the screaming from your house if they do not,,,,,
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by edub63vette
My bad,,,should have stated VIN tag, not trim,,,,,,,,,,
And yes, 66jack, you will hear the screaming from your house if they do not,,,,,
You will be out there after midnight jacking the body up checking...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Did you ask the seller about the VIN tag? Does he have it? Did he know it was missing from the steering column?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

don't worry about it... if someone asks, say: "gee, it must have fallen off" (and a lot did...)
Bill
Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

A state issued VIN tag is the kiss of death for your car's value. Do number 1 in your list.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I believe Indiana requires two different points of identification on out of state inspections. In your case it could have been engine, body, frame.

The cop should have caught it. He didn't and you have a clean title so no problem until you sell it. To cover that, I believe I'd get the replacement VIN plate from whoever makes them and never look back.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 AM
edub63vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeM
I believe Indiana requires two different points of identification on out of state inspections. In your case it could have been engine, body, frame.

The cop should have caught it. He didn't and you have a clean title so no problem until you sell it. To cover that, I believe I'd get the replacement VIN plate from whoever makes them and never look back.
Seems like the best option to me as well. Will be heading back to the shop later today to (hopefully) find the VIN on the frame. Not sure what is involved if I have to jack the body up a few inches. Given my understanding on the location, is it safe to assume I need to look for the VIN on the top (outside) part of frame? I had read that it is 1/4 inch from the outside (top) of the frame. I looked yesterday from standing under the car (on the lift) but did not see anything.

I am checking to see if the 2nd owner has the VIN tag, he is not too happy that my friend did not keep the car so I will see how that works out.

Lot of "glares" from the wife right now,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM

The hard part is over.........
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

I used play doh to get a impression of my vin off the frame and there was no need to jack the body.
You'll also need a pudy knife or paint stick or something to push the play doh down into the top of the frame

Last edited by wilbur; 02-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbur
I used play doh to get a impression of my vin off the frame and there was no need to jack the body.
You'll also need a pudy knife or paint stick or something to push the play doh down into the top of the frame
good idea
silly putty or ask your dentist for some mold stuff may work better
more smooth than playdough. after cleaning area and letting dry. jim

ps. this is what happen at Mershons a couple of months ago. a young
female agent saw a 63 vette with weld marks on vin and got a search
warrant. 20 osp guys came in and took two cars. Mershon sued the osp and i think attorney generals office. official apology and posible settlement will be released soon. jim

Last edited by jdk971; 02-12-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdk971
good idea
silly putty or ask your dentist for some mold stuff may work better
more smooth than playdough. after cleaning area and letting dry. jim

ps. this is what happen at Mershons a couple of months ago. a young
female agent saw a 63 vette with weld marks on vin and got a search
warrant. 20 osp guys came in and took two cars. Mershon sued the osp and i think attorney generals office. official apology and posible settlement will be released soon. jim
I have a dentist that lives next store, good input.
In regards to Mershon's,,,,,,,car will not leave shop until I have a resolution,,,,,,,
Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

My story about DMV is that investigating official insisted that my VIN on my 64 coupe was bogus. Everyone knows that the VIN should be on the door jam. Because it was not she insisted that the VIN plate had been altered. I'm really glad she didn't inspect my 62 because "someone" moved the VIN to the steering column. Can you imagine?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Make your own tag and affix it to the steering col. You have all ther legal paperwork, you just don't have the tag

Get notified of new replies

To My 62 Fuelie- This will get interesting!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Make your own tag and affix it to the steering col. You have all ther legal paperwork, you just don't have the tag
He could even use a label maker to create the tag because he has the title. The real issue is when this Corvette needs to find a new home, and they all do at some point. I sure would be scared of buying a car without a proper VIN tag, no matter what paperwork came with it.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:06 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by MaineDoc
He could even use a label maker to create the tag because he has the title. The real issue is when this Corvette needs to find a new home, and they all do at some point. I sure would be scared of buying a car without a proper VIN tag, no matter what paperwork came with it.
As long as I document the VIN on the frame I am hoping that this, and getting the replacement VIN Tag, should be ok for most potential buyers.
As well as having a police report ran on the VIN, which came up clean.

If I do not find the VIN on the frame then make sure you check the "Parts for Sale" section of the forum, as there will be some "interesting parts" listed for sale,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i'd buy the whole car just as it sits...
Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 62 Fuelie- This will get interesting!