Notices
C1 & C2 Parts C1 & C2 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket

1965 327/375hp radiator cap

Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 AM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Default 1965 327/375hp radiator cap

anyone know the correct cap for my 65 fuelie? I see the books call for both a #13 lb and a #15 lb. Thanks, Jim
Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by moonframer
anyone know the correct cap for my 65 fuelie? I see the books call for both a #13 lb and a #15 lb. Thanks, Jim
AC model 307 cap rated at 13psi is correct for your car. The 15psi cap was used on A/C cars.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Looks like this - note the aluminum rivet.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Default rad cap

Thanks for your reply and info. Do you sell caps? Need one for my car that will be judged in survivor class at Bloomington....
Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your reply and info. Do you sell caps? Need one for my car that will be judged in survivor class at Bloomington....
Nope, but Joe Perri in Chicago can probably take care of you. (312) 307-1977.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Default rad cap

thanks, I will call Joe
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You're going to buy repro parts to help with survivor judging?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Default re pro parts?

Not really sure what your comment means about buying repro parts~??
Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

'Survivor' judging means just that- a car survived untouched and unmolested in orignal but maybe deteriorated condtion. Fixing/restoring/swapping parts sort of defeats the purpose.

If the original cap was lost somewhere along the way, so be it. It didn't survive.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
'Survivor' judging means just that- a car survived untouched and unmolested in orignal but maybe deteriorated condtion. Fixing/restoring/swapping parts sort of defeats the purpose.

If the original cap was lost somewhere along the way, so be it. It didn't survive.
Makes sense to me... including the purpose and defeating part.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

So let me get this straight.. If you find a wonderful old "fuelie" like mine and the rad. cap is not functional or the tires are worn, or the belts are needing replaced, you should not replace them. Did you create the definition of a "survivor" ?
I have had wonderful old Corvettes judged as "survivors" by very knowledgeable judges at Bloomington. According to your standards, there is not a true "survivor in existence".
Once you change a filter, wiper blade, brake pad, rad. cap etc., you no longer have a "survivor" Do some research before you make such a ridiculous statement about survivor"
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

So let me get this straight.. If you find a wonderful old "fuelie" like mine and the rad. cap is not functional or the tires are worn, or the belts are needing replaced, you should not replace them. Did you create the definition of a "survivor" ?
I have had wonderful old Corvettes judged as "survivors" by very knowledgeable judges at Bloomington. According to your standards, there is not a true "survivor in existence".
Once you change a filter, wiper blade, brake pad, rad. cap etc., you no longer have a "survivor" Do some research before you make such a ridiculous statement about survivor"
So present it with the cap that's on it now or a current service replacement if it's defective rather than trying to fool the judges with an old cap from somebody else's car. Putting a service replacement cap, tires, filters or belts is honest, expected and is obviously not an attempt to fool anybody or hide anything. Cars are original only once.

The point of Survivor Judging or NCRS Bowtie is to present preserved, original cars the way they came from the factory not a possibly skewed vision of what somebody today thinks they once were.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
You're going to buy repro parts to help with survivor judging?
Atta' boy Mikey! Just saw this!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't think that's a survivor car. It's restored, with patina.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Bloomington Gold "Survivor" judging isn't particularly difficult - each of the four areas only needs to be 50% original, and you can fail one area completely with no penalty; only three of the four areas need to pass.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Bloomington Gold "Survivor" judging isn't particularly difficult - each of the four areas only needs to be 50% original, and you can fail one area completely with no penalty; only three of the four areas need to pass.
[edit: starting new thread, as to not hijack this one]

Is there any difference between:
Survivor
Bowie
Restored using used OEM parts that are correct

Thanks

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 02-09-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
[edit: starting new thread, as to not high jack this one]

Survivor
Bowie

Thanks
"Survivor" is a Bloomington Gold-copyrighted term for their judging process for unrestored Corvettes.

"Bowtie" is an NCRS-copyrighted term for their much more rigorous Star/Bowtie judging process for unrestored Corvettes.

Restored Corvettes whose focus is the appearance of originality are judged in NCRS in the Flight Judging process, and at Bloomington Gold in the Gold Certification process.

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 327/375hp radiator cap

Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
Survivor
Bowie

Thanks
Originally Posted by JohnZ
"Survivor" is a Bloomington Gold-copyrighted term for their judging process for unrestored Corvettes.

"Bowtie" is an NCRS-copyrighted term for their much more rigorous Star/Bowtie judging process for unrestored Corvettes.

Restored Corvettes whose focus is the appearance of originality are judged in NCRS in the Flight Judging process, and at Bloomington Gold in the Gold Certification process.
As John says, except that 'Bowie' might refer to David Bowie. Not sure he's into Corvette Judging.

Sorry, just had to.

Obviously this type of stuff irks me. Trying to fool the judges serves little purpose, it's the owner that's fooling himself in the end or possibly screwing a buyer.

I was aware of a situation where the owner of a true-blue original FI car was looking to get a Bowtie award. In preparation and to assure his chances, he removed the FI unit and shipped it off to a restorer to have him make the unit look more original and aged and remove the traces of normal maintenance that had occurred over the decades.

Sorry, that's 'restoring' not 'preserving'.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

I hate to spoil your little fairy tale Mikey. Unless a Corvette left the St. Louis plant and was NEVER serviced in any way ( like a rad. cap being changed 40 years ago at a service station with an aftermarket type) there are maybe a couple of cars that have survived time with NO replacement parts....Most cars that are awarded the prestigious Bowtie award have some replacement parts (maybe early on by a Chevrolet dealer or recently by the current owner) and the owners are not trying to fool anyone. Replacing a part like a rad. cap (with a correct factory original) IS PRESERVING not RESTORING.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Replacing a part like a rad. cap (with a correct factory original) IS PRESERVING not RESTORING.
Umm, sorry. You've got it backwards. Good luck with your award.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1965 327/375hp radiator cap