C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Cattiva73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners.

My 1973 vette did not have a spare tire nor a spare tire assembly when I got it...I hear it's a safety addition from Chevy to add protection in case of an impact from the rear.

What do you think?

I don't care for the tire I have rode side assistance..nor for the perfect look but I'd like to make the vehicle as safe as possible.

If safer ...what's going to take to install/add a spare tire?
Can I install the tire with only the Y bracket without the actual upper/lower carriers?..those things are expensive!

Thank you guys
Cheers

Last edited by Cattiva73; 02-08-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Cattiva73
I hear it's a safety addition from Chevy to add protection in case of an impact from the rear.
Not really. The spare is where it is because there isn't any other place to put it. For no reason other than mass, I suppose there might be a tad of shock absorbing use from the spare. Remember: the spare is under the fuel tank and not between the tank and the rear panel.

The steel beams in your doors are impact protection.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Cattiva73
Racer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Not really. The spare is where it is because there isn't any other place to put it. For no reason other than mass, I suppose there might be a tad of shock absorbing use from the spare. Remember: the spare is under the fuel tank and not between the tank and the rear panel.

The steel beams in your doors are impact protection.

Thanks EasyMike,
I guess my concern is the gas tank being hit and brake ..you say the spare tire does not protect anything?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

I dont know how much safer it makes the car, but its a fairly ez install, and if you do add one you want all the componets for it. That Y bracket is attached to the tub, which is hung by 2 rods in the front that bolt in under the car. The other end of that bracket gets supported in the back by hooking on to a threaded rod which is raised and lowered for access to the tire. To me, it just looks more complete with it back there, besides the obvious reasons to have it. After its in, make sure there isnt anything coming in contact with the exhaust. One good thing with it missing is it sure does open things up down there and offers plenty of room to work. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C,
I agree with Mike.... the spare tire is too low and too loosely mounted to offer any protection from a rear hit.
I actually think the rear of the car looks a bit odd without the tub. It's probably just what I'm used to.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I gotta go with Mike on this one. The spare tire carrier wasn't designed to be a safety device, but it probably would add some cushion in a low impact collision. With that said, there's guys who don't have the carrier on their cars just to save a bit of weight. That should tell you how effective it is in the unlikely event an accident.

As for me, the carrier sitting between the exhaust pipes is "pure" Corvette. It doesn't look the same without it.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:41 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was/ still is common for road racers to relocate C3 fuel tanks from above the rear frame rails to below them in order to lower the CG, where it is typically protected by additional steel tubing as well. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...

Is it crude? Of course, but that's why it's there.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Cattiva73
Racer

Originally Posted by birdsmith
It was/ still is common for road racers to relocate C3 fuel tanks from above the rear frame rails to below them in order to lower the CG, where it is typically protected by additional steel tubing as well. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...

Could I use just the Y bracket to hold the spare tire in place?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

it also gives our cars that perfect balance that we all enjoy.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...
Sorry, false. The spare is not retained in a manner secure enough to achieve this. In a collision it will get shoved forward/sideways snapping off all three retaining bolts.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,657 Likes on 1,398 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would say that is simply your opinion, unless you are an engineer who designed the C3 vette. Everyone can have an opinion, but I hardly think you are correct on this one. Secondly, if it was not located there, where else would you put a spare tire on a C3 Corvette.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
EmNash
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The spare tire location was the same since the introduction of this chassis in 1963. I am quite sure when the spare was positioned between the tail pipes below the gas tank it was because of the physics involved in filling the tank from above and removing the spare tire from below. Absorbing impact energy was not a consideration for engineers in 1963.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Cattiva73
Racer

Default will it fit?

Anybody knows if a spare tire V bracket from 1967 Corvette is the same length of the V bracket from a 1973 vette?

Will this C2 bracket fit a C3 chassis?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Cattiva73
Could I use just the Y bracket to hold the spare tire in place?
No.

It most likely would fall out. The bracket isn't stiff enough to hold the tire or wide enough, unlike the steel bar on pickup trucks. The bracket was just there because they didn't know how to put a load on fiberglass at the time. The fiberglass tub wasn't thick enough to handle it by itself. This is 17 years because fiberglass springs occurred and they hadn't figured how to create a load point on fiberglass.

Watch the swap meets, eBay, and Craigslist. They come up time to time.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Ironically my 73 is also missing the spare tire carrier.. I am not sure if I am going to bother replacing it or not..
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I would say that is simply your opinion, unless you are an engineer who designed the C3 vette. Everyone can have an opinion, but I hardly think you are correct on this one. Secondly, if it was not located there, where else would you put a spare tire on a C3 Corvette.
Could have done this:

Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get hit in the rear end, you're not going fast enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

If you are worried about getting hit in the rear of a plastic car maybe you should look to drive something else.
If byou get hit hard enough in any car you are going to get hurt.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 AM
ugadog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m having a hard time imagining that a spare tire could offer any significant “protection” in a crash. I think the people starting these rumors have spent way too much time in the bumper cars at the amusement parks.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 AM
ugadog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
If you get hit in the rear end, you're not going fast enough.
Love it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners.