C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not that I plan to do this but....How do you do a burn-out?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default Not that I plan to do this but....How do you do a burn-out?

I'm not planning to do a burn-out, but how, logistically, do you do it? I understand that you have to keep one foot on the brakes and the other on the accelerator....If you do that won't that ruin your rear brakes? I've always wondered..... Funny, whenever I stomp on my accelerator from a stand-still, I just get pure acceleration...no squeal or tire burning...just GO!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

It wont ruin the rear brakes unless you do it all the time. This method is referred to power breaking. If you have enough power you can do it by just stomping the accelerator.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That is how you do it if you don't have a line lock installed. As you probably already know the purpose drag racers do a burn out is to warm up the tires so they stick to the track. The white smoke you see is aided by a water/bleach mixture. Hope I didn't go off on a tangent or insulted your intelligence. But that's the way you do it as you wrote in your post. You have to really keep your foot on the brake pedal while spinning your wheels. If you have some seroius hp you will get a good amount of smoke.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What you are talking about is "power braking".....only use the minimum brake presure possible....yes....it's always hard on your car......but fun!
My car smokes the tires without power braking......

Find a parking lot with no one around...be safe and do it once.....it's a freakin Corvette for God's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be safe
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,054 Posts

You have lived a sheltered life or else you have only owned sorry *** slow vehicles

To do a smokey burn out on my bike without the brake I rev it to 8000 rpm and drop the clutch. Your car doesn't do 14,000 rpm so only rev it to about 4000 in "N" and then drop it into drive with your foot on the floor.

Guarantied that it will burn your tires at least for a few times.

Last edited by gkull; 02-07-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Or there will be a loud very expensive noise.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 AM
my_z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

whenever I stomp on my accelerator from a stand-still, I just get pure acceleration...no squeal or tire burning...just GO!
Thats the goal! Burnouts are for kids never understood the significance of them
Old 02-07-2013, 01:37 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
it's rarely the noise that's expensive .... unless, of course, it's the one emanating from one's spouse
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I have tried it a couple of times with my 5 speed manual, all I get is big time wheel hop after dropping the clutch. Now if I start moving and stomp on it the wheels will spin.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Back in HS the Auto shop students would get to park the drivers Ed cars back up real fast, keep it floored, then shift to Drive while doing ~30mph in reverse lots of smoke until teacher came out and complained.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 AM
racerbug
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try putting water under the rear wheels,then try power braking it.Rev it up in neutral and put in gear will only break u-joints or inner axles.Don't ask how I no.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Pelee4me
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Turn off the traction control before you do anything. When I first tried a full throttle start in my C6 I expected some smoke.... I got nothing. Then I remembered the traction control, turned that off and tried again... lots of smoke and squealing.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJlr
What you are talking about is "power braking".....only use the minimum brake presure possible....yes....it's always hard on your car......but fun!
My car smokes the tires without power braking......

Find a parking lot with no one around...be safe and do it once.....it's a freakin Corvette for God's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be safe
I must be old-
Back when I was a kid (now I sound like my grandfather), the term we used was "Brake-Torque"...
Maybe that was just a mid-70's Midwestern term?

Anyway, the method was used for automatic powered cars that couldn't break them loose otherwise. To make it easier to perform, we'd do it over a manhole cover or at the leading edge of a speed bump..

For really power challenged vehicles, we employed a technique affectionately called the "Brinni-Drop", named after a friend of ours that devised the technique (to our knowledge anyway).
To perform this technique, you put the car in reverse, floor it and when you reach about 10mph or so in reverse, you dump the trans into low gear (all the while keeping your right foot firmly planted to the firewall).
You could get some spectacular results from cars that could normally never spin their tires.
This was much more painful on the drivetrain but in high-school, who cared?
Besides, we usually did it in our parent's cars so it didn't matter..
Surprisingly enough, we never dropped a trans or a driveshaft with this technique.
Ahh.. The good ole' days....
Have fun!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I guess I must be getting old. Burnouts are necessary, in the staging area of a drag strip.

For street operation, it seems to me, it's nothing more than a macho, "look at me", exercise.

Which would be just fine, if you didn't leave $800.00 worth of rubber in the street.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Lighten up Frances jk

When we were kids, it had nothing to do with being 'Macho' and we normally did it where we wouldn't be seen or get caught.
Some of us just like the smell of burning rubber and still do

If you're burning up $800 in tires, your doing it wrong-
We used to by used tires from Sears or JC Penny auto centers for $5-$10 bucks a piece (back in the 70's and 80's remember) for the sole purpose of smoking them off.
Even today, the kid in me snickers when I light em' up by "accident"..
As an old friend told me years ago.. "These cars were meant to get-on".
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ezobens
Lighten up Frances jk

When we were kids, it had nothing to do with being 'Macho' and we normally did it where we wouldn't be seen or get caught.
Some of us just like the smell of burning rubber and still do

If you're burning up $800 in tires, your doing it wrong-
We used to by used tires from Sears or JC Penny auto centers for $5-$10 bucks a piece (back in the 70's and 80's remember) for the sole purpose of smoking them off.
Even today, the kid in me snickers when I light em' up by "accident"..
As an old friend told me years ago.. "These cars were meant to get-on".
Well, to each his own my friend. As a kid, I had a GTX 440 6 PAK 435hp that ran SS-E. My friends all had muscle cars as well, and we all raced at the local drag strip, nearly every Sunday. That's where we tore up street tires, or slicks. No one burned up rubber in the street. We were all well aware that it was potentially dangerous, and a waste of money. But, like I said, to each his own.

Frances

Get notified of new replies

To Not that I plan to do this but....How do you do a burn-out?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

As a kid I had a 81 TRANS AM with the lam 4.9 "301" motor. I placed BF Goodrich tires on back. But what made it worst was they were 50's. So damn wide and to much traction. So I took my windshield washer hose that went to my wipers, spliced and routed them to the top of the rear wheel fenders. Then filled the wiper bottle with bleach n water. I would spray the tires so they would be soft, then I was able to smoke'em. Fun in High school. But tires get expensive. LOL.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

With a stock 75 vette doing a burnout??? You better invest in a line lock system or plan on an engine up grade
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

im working on keeping mine from going up in smoke, no I'm not gonna pull out 2 spark plugs. I've never had a car that i had to power brake to spin em. i would advise against neutral drive drops.......... lighten up francis, l.o.l. from stripes good one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not that I plan to do this but....How do you do a burn-out?