Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does "YOUNG" really mean?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does "YOUNG" really mean?

Someone mentioned that when he goes to a corvette gathering, that MOST, not all, but Most of the guys there are old farts. Its true. All over the country its like that. Mostly guys holding on to their youth through these cars. Clearly it was time for a change. So what does young mean? Cadillac went after a younger group of customers. That doesnt mean they were looking to sell to 20 year olds. Most cadillac buyers were getting old, and the next generation coming up wasnt interested in the old boats. So Cadillac went after the bmw crowd, and that means primarily 30 to 40 year olds that want handling and great looks. Cadillac always compares their cars now to the bmw brand. Take a look at every ATS commercial now. They focus on alluding to the fact the car is superior to bmw in every way. If you notice the guys driving the car, they are not 20 year olds. They are always in their 30- or 40's. GM had to do something. Sales were tanking for the current vette, which is still gorgeous by the way in my mind. If I see a zr1 in traffic, well as far as I am concerned, its stunning. But this high end car is mostly driven by older guys who can afford the higher price tag. I think GM did a heck of a job, and it shows in the reveal. Two cars, vastly different looks. The red one going for the younger crowd leaning into the lower 30's. Yes, more boy racer. The grey one looking exotic and sophisticated. I think it will be interesting to watch when the new car comes out, when corvettes gather, will we see younger guys with the new car? I think we will. Say what you will, you always need the next generation to help drive sales. If its drying up, you cant go anywhere.

Last edited by alanhang; 02-05-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

^^^ Here is one example of that...

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-19-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by alanhang
If I see a zr1 in traffic, well as far as I am concerned, its stunning. But this high end car is mostly driven by older guys .
Myself included I know several FEMALES who drive ZR1s that are not exactly living at the retirement home Tired of the perception Corvette is for OLD men. Just like any sports car, some OLD ,men buy them to try and act like a kid. We have people of all ages in our Groups here. The C7 seems to have appeal across the board.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a different world we live in today and not necessarily a better one! This whole age thing is a joke! Alan you mentioned in a post that you had a very young contractor at your house who went gaga over the C7 on your computer! Let me ask you, if he went into your garage and saw a ZR1 or a 427 vert do you think he would have went gaga? The younger generation has always had the opportunity to have a direct effect, fact is they mostly are not in a position to either financially or stability wise! The marketing GM is doing to appeal to European and younger buyers is exactly that, marketing! It remains to be seen what the core Corvette buyer will be going forward but my money is on 90% of what it is today.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM
C7envy
Racer

Here is what they mean by "young". The current generation who owns these cars are on the last leg of their life so now they have to go one generation under to keep sales lol.

But I am in my 20s and I have a 13 gt500 that I'm trading in for a fully optioned z51 when the hype dies down and discounts start happening. So maybe they are trying to target those people too? I know I would never have bougt a c6 vette unless it was a zr1 (but that is too expensive for now)
The following users liked this post:
Village joe (08-19-2019)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

If GM dosen't capture the "young/youth" with the C7 or if they cant afford it (many can) the seeds are planted...I could not afford a C3 the first time I saw one...But I knew one day and now I'm on my second C6...So the youth you speak about may just be future C8 or C9 owners...C7Z is going to be a Beast.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
It's a different world we live in today and not necessarily a better one! This whole age thing is a joke! Alan you mentioned in a post that you had a very young contractor at your house who went gaga over the C7 on your computer! Let me ask you, if he went into your garage and saw a ZR1 or a 427 vert do you think he would have went gaga? The younger generation has always had the opportunity to have a direct effect, fact is they mostly are not in a position to either financially or stability wise! The marketing GM is doing to appeal to European and younger buyers is exactly that, marketing! It remains to be seen what the core Corvette buyer will be going forward but my money is on 90% of what it is today.
He would probably go "gaga" over both. I was just stating his reaction to the new car on my computer screen. I dont believe that the marketing team were looking for 20 year olds, as I stated.

Originally Posted by troller399
If GM dosen't capture the "young/youth" with the C7 or if they cant afford it (many can) the seeds are planted...I could not afford a C3 the first time I saw one...But I knew one day and now I'm on my second C6...So the youth you speak about may just be future C8 or C9 owners...C7Z is going to be a Beast.
yes, I think it will too. Providing they sell a lot to cover the cost of development.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-19-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Merged Posts - Please use the Multi Quote button to respond to multiple people in a single response.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

well, in this case you didnt read what was posted. If you go back, You will see I didnt say "every" as you stated. If you are going to be critical, at least get the facts correct. Also, actually old farts do not drive sales. They just eventually die too young unfortunately. I have lost a number of friends already. Way too early in my mind. Whether you like it or not, "youth will out"
If you're talking present and current sales, then they absolutely do. IF you're talking about future sales and GM's ability to attract younger buyers, that remains to be seen, now doesn't it ?

Older people will always be a significant and driving force for cars that have two seats and cost upwards of $60,000 after moderate options are added in because the "younger demographic" (whatever that is) who has the money to buy this kind of car will be the exception rather than the rule. Especially in the current economy. It's more likely--in spite of GM's dreams to suddenly have 50% of Corvette buyers to be under the age of 40--that people whose children have "left the nest", who have paid off their house, or who have seen enough salary increases in their job to finally afford one will be the majority of the buyers.

I understand, without people pointing out the above is not a fact, the previous paragraph is just my opinion and I might be wrong. But only time (and some truthful figures from GM) will reveal the actual success in this endeavor.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

I think GM wanted to go after the young people with the C6 as well - doesn't anybody remember that C6 commercial titled "a boys dream"?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
stingrayiii67
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Anyway, back to the subject.
As for me I am 31, I make ok money. But could I afford a new model? No, I could not. When I was shopping for c6, I had to get a used 2006 a few years ago. As that is what I could afford safely.
Now most people my age will spend more money on either a big mortgage or trying to look like a baller. But they have a lot of debt, and seems like they can never cover costs when we go out. Yet they make more money then I do, and they call me the rich one. Go figure!
What I am saying is most people my age spend that money as soon as they get it and don't have any type of savings. I myself would rather put money away for retirement then a new car, but not most people my age once again.
Of course I do live in Las Vegas and I judge with my single friends. So maybe my view is different then most.
Married friends are a different subject where they spend their money on. "Family."
Most corvette gatherings are going to be older people, as usually younger people have other plans then gatherings and car shows.
I take my other cars to car shows all the time and I seem to be always the young guy with old cars.
Ok, I'm off my soap box.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by z edge
I think GM wanted to go after the young people with the C6 as well - doesn't anybody remember that C6 commercial titled "a boys dream"?
yes, very true. I liked that commercial and then they banned it. That they banned , but high powered guns,,, oh never mind.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

He would probably go "gaga" over both. I was just stating his reaction to the new car on my computer screen.I dont believe that the marketing team were looking for 20 year olds, as I stated.
But many here seem to be confused as to what GM means by 'Younger', they certainly don't mean 20, how about some of the BMW, Porsche driving 30-40 something's?
Oddly enough, I hear it repeated here constantly, "20 year olds still wet behind the ears can't afford a new Corvette but I can, however I won't buy a c7 because X or Y."
It will be interesting to look back and see which dissenters have a c7 in their avatar a few years from now.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Please stay on topic and loose the ad hominems.

There is a forum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-topic-26/ where you can debate the rules of grammar and other such non C7 related subjects to your hearts content - just not here.

Read this and please comply: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...7-section.html
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Cadillac has changed but many that buy still want a smooth
roomy luxury car. If you want a BMW you buy a BMW. That is
why I have 2 BMW's. If I want a well engineered car will look
outside gm. Don't care if the reviews all go hey they are just
about as good. I want the real deal not something trying to
pretend to be one.

Yes the vette has changed but it has changed to be like all the
others. Its a different look from a C6 but it looks like many Asian
cars on road, not that unique to them, just unique to a C6

So guess that does hit the topic, to grab the newer generation you
have to appear to what they grown up with, THE RICER

Last edited by texvette2; 02-05-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

yes, very true. I liked that commercial and then they banned it. That they banned , but high powered guns,,, oh never mind.
Who "banned" it?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Good word John O, I had to look it up! lol
Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aozora
But many here seem to be confused as to what GM means by 'Younger', they certainly don't mean 20, how about some of the BMW, Porsche driving 30-40 something's?
Oddly enough, I hear it repeated here constantly, "20 year olds still wet behind the ears can't afford a new Corvette but I can, however I won't buy a c7 because X or Y."
It will be interesting to look back and see which dissenters have a c7 in their avatar a few years from now.
That's what I think also. I'll also bet most who like vettes in general will have one.

Originally Posted by Slynky
Who "banned" it?
It was banned. it was well commented on and published back then. they didn't want kids to think it was ok to jump cars

Originally Posted by texvette2
Yes Cadillac has changed but many that buy still want a smooth
roomy luxury car. If you want a BMW you buy a BMW. That is
why I have 2 BMW's. If I want a well engineered car will look
outside gm. Don't care if the reviews all go hey they are just
about as good. I want the real deal not something trying to
pretend to be one.

Yes the vette has changed but it has changed to be like all the
others. Its a different look from a C6 but it looks like many Asian
cars on road, not that unique to them, just unique to a C6

So guess that does hit the topic, to grab the newer generation you
have to appear to what they grown up with, THE RICER
my younger brother has only bought bmw 3's over the years. He did go and take a look at the ATS, but he thought the interior was done poorly from an execution perspective. He didnt seem to like the new elctronic system in the dash at all.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-19-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Merged Posts - Please use the Multi Quote button to respond to multiple people in a single response.

Get notified of new replies

To What does "YOUNG" really mean?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Most of my Ferrari friends are older and I believe the Porsche demographic is not that much younger than Corvettes. Sportscars in general are just a luxury which few people can afford. Add the fact that Corvette is a 60 year old nameplate and your going to get a lot of older owners.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

I also think Chevrolet is doing a masterful job of changing the design and performance directives to the racing program. Ferrari and Porsche have used that successfully to garner fans all over the world. Corvette is doing just that now to great success. The Europeans over at the 24 HR of Le Mans just love the Vette.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:02 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Young means anyone with money and the desire to enjoy life....by owning and driving a corvette......

The new C7 is smoking hot looking...really cutting edge and not afraid to be different...

Out with the old and in with the new...

Change or die

I dig my c6 coupe yet I really dig the new c7 as it has changed...

Corvette team did a great job with the new generation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What does "YOUNG" really mean?