C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket wheels for my '79.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 AM
kenarab
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheels for my '79.

I'm fairly new to the Corvette hobby. I'd like to move to an aftermarket wheel for my 1979. the standard wheel is a 15x7 (I believe). I'd like to go to an 18" wheel, with no other modifications to the car. Could anyone give me some suggestions as to manufacturers, knowledgeable websites/dealers who could help me? Maybe even suggest some wheels styles?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ly-thread.html

Scroll through here to give you some ideas. Stock wheel size is 15x8, with 4 inches of backspace. If you move to 18x8 with 4 inches of backspace you won't have any fitment problems. You can go wider in the rear, but you'll have to measure to ensure that you won't run into fitment issues.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM
kenarab
Cruising

Learning Curve, Thanks for the reply. I just scrolled thru the thread, and I'm feeling really good about this now! I'll probably get the same size all around so I can rotate tires. I can't wait to get them so I can post pics on that thread.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Makes sense. Most performance tires are directional, so you can only swap front to rear and not side to side. As long as you keep your car in alignment, it shouldn't be a problem.

Funny how those rear tires seem to wear so much faster than the fronts, no?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Just an option, here is my 78 with 17 inch SLP's with 255/45/17 ZR tires. These rims fit perfectly with no mods required anywhere. I was looking to replace the OEM aluminum rims with something that was not too flashy.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

If you would consider 17 inch:

http://psvintagewheels.com/products.html Nice thing is you can set your back spacing.
I purchased my minilyte replicas from him. If you want to see Corvettes with his rims: http://www.2ndgenrestorations.com/ro...redvettes.html

One more site: http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/products/wheels

Last edited by cottoneg; 01-27-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by kenarab
Could anyone give me some suggestions as to manufacturers, knowledgeable websites/dealers who could help me? Maybe even suggest some wheels styles?
1st welcome to the forum.
Why not try to narrow it down a little? What type of wheel are you looking for? Do you like a traditional 5 spoke, something race inspired, modern billet? What's your budget? Take all these things into consideration and decide what you like and what fits in your budget. Don't forget many of the wheels you might like are available in 17s also and therefore cost less. You wouldn't notice a difference in performance. There are many threads on this forum with wheel/tire pictures. Do a search using "17s" and "18s" there is hours of reading with lots of pictures. Nothing changes the look of a car more than wheels and tires IMCO. You want to pick out something you're not only happy with the way they look put also the way they perform. After you do that update this thread and you will get plenty of suggestions...oh and by the way lots of opinions.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by cottoneg
....If you want to see Corvettes with his rims: [url]http://www.2ndgenrestorations.com/roadraceinspiredvettes.html
LOVE those Minilites!!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 AM
kenarab
Cruising

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
1st welcome to the forum.
Why not try to narrow it down a little? What type of wheel are you looking for? Do you like a traditional 5 spoke, something race inspired, modern billet? What's your budget? Take all these things into consideration and decide what you like and what fits in your budget. Don't forget many of the wheels you might like are available in 17s also and therefore cost less. You wouldn't notice a difference in performance. There are many threads on this forum with wheel/tire pictures. Do a search using "17s" and "18s" there is hours of reading with lots of pictures. Nothing changes the look of a car more than wheels and tires IMCO. You want to pick out something you're not only happy with the way they look put also the way they perform. After you do that update this thread and you will get plenty of suggestions...oh and by the way lots of opinions.
All good questions.. Here's the deal.. I'll probably do more cruises and shows with my C3 than performance related activities (no hate mail, please), so I want something w/some 'flash'.. not a lot, but not too sedate, either. I'm leaning toward a 5-spoke wheel, but many of the prominent retailer websites all show me basically the same stuff (that will fit the car w/o modifications). Basically some variation of AR's TorqThrust. (Different mfgs, but same basic look). It's a nice look, but a very common look. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places. I have a wheel in mind: AR's Daytona, but I'm not sure if it will fit.(18x9, 0mm offset, 5" backspace). budget: $200-$225, tops
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

All good questions.. Here's the deal.. I'll probably do more cruises and shows with my C3 than performance related activities (no hate mail, please), so I want something w/some 'flash'.. not a lot, but not too sedate, either. I'm leaning toward a 5-spoke wheel, but many of the prominent retailer websites all show me basically the same stuff (that will fit the car w/o modifications). Basically some variation of AR's TorqThrust. (Different mfgs, but same basic look). It's a nice look, but a very common look. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places. I have a wheel in mind: AR's Daytona, but I'm not sure if it will fit.(18x9, 0mm offset, 5" backspace). budget: $200-$225, tops
I have the 18x9 Daytona's on the rear. It was real close to the spring but did fit. I found the set on ebay with 17x8 fronts for 550. It was a return from a customer that didn't like the fact that the wheels had no "dish". Turns out they were 4.5 bolt pattern, but the seller got me a new set for 50 bucks more.

A little more unique than the standard five spoke, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates the look. Hopefully not too many jump on the bandwagon. I like that they're unique!

Excuse the stinkbug stance. I need to sort the ride height.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM
lakebumm
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 63 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hi kenarab,

I just sent you a PM.

Thanks

BILL
Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM
jdbuddy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

15X10s on my 79.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM
kenarab
Cruising

Originally Posted by lakebumm
Hi kenarab,

I just sent you a PM.

Thanks

BILL
Not sure how to see the PM's. Should it have come to my email? I didn't get it..
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
kenarab
Cruising

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
I have the 18x9 Daytona's on the rear. It was real close to the spring but did fit. I found the set on ebay with 17x8 fronts for 550. It was a return from a customer that didn't like the fact that the wheels had no "dish". Turns out they were 4.5 bolt pattern, but the seller got me a new set for 50 bucks more.

A little more unique than the standard five spoke, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates the look. Hopefully not too many jump on the bandwagon. I like that they're unique!

L_C, Are your wheels chrome? I can't quite tell from the pic. What size tires on the back? I like the look...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I have a wheel in mind: AR's Daytona, but I'm not sure if it will fit.(18x9, 0mm offset, 5" backspace). budget: $200-$225, tops
The 18x9 with 5" backspace should fit fine in the rear as Learning_Curve stated. I'm not sure you can get that to work in the front although others have. You could buy two 18x9s and try them in the front to see if they would work all the way around (keeping in mind that they make work with a narrower tire than what you decide to run in the rear). Or you could just go with a 18x8 or 17x8 in the front.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM
lakebumm
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 63 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Not sure how to see the PM's. Should it have come to my email? I didn't get it..

Look at the top right hand corner of this page where it says:

Welcome kenarab

BILL
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

L_C, Are your wheels chrome? I can't quite tell from the pic. What size tires on the back? I like the look...
Not chrome, grey with a machined lip. And the tires are 275/40/18 rear, 245/45/17 front.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket wheels for my '79.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM
iblive
Intermediate

Guess I'm the odd duck... I like the stock steel wheels with the chrome ring and hub covers.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 AM
kenarab
Cruising

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve

L_C, Retailer is saying Daytona 18x9's won't clear the caliper. Did you hear that? Was that a problem for you?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Not even close! These wheels have the spokes on the outside of the rim, so to get the right backspacing they a very thick hub. It leaves lots of room.

Now you may have problems with the parking brake cable, as these wheels are very close to the trailing arm. I moved the brackets for the parking brake to the top of the trailingl arms.

Other members have gotten enough clearance by using zip ties to hold the cable close to the trailing arm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels for my '79.