C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My wife drives the Corvette for the first time today

Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default My wife drives the Corvette for the first time today

I've been grounded from driving for the past 3 weeks (and will be for the next 2) because of cataract surgery. It's a beautiful 80 degree day today and I wanted to take the '67 out. So I told my wife it's time for her to drive it. She knows how to drive a stick but hasn't driven the Corvette since we bought it last spring because she's afraid she'll damage it or break it somehow. Anyway, we had a good ride and she had a blast. I didn't think I was going to be able to get the keys away from her.

Her only complaint was that the clutch was a lot stiffer than her car (Mitsubishi Eclipse). She's only 5' 3" and I noticed that her left leg is fully extended when the clutch is engaged, even with the seat moved all the way forward.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Any pics of her behind the wheel?

I just love it when its a team effort/family affair!

Cheers!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it's really bad to use the drivers seat all the way forward in a c2
it changes the angle of the johnson rod for the crossmember which in turn can damage the transmission because of improper torque load...
if a pillow is used on the seat back to help with the clutch, it changes the smortagray load on the seat belt bolts and could lead to tragic consequences!

at least that's what my wifey has been told!.....
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Oh, Oh, you might not get to drive again.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
I've been grounded from driving for the past 3 weeks (and will be for the next 2) because of cataract surgery. It's a beautiful 80 degree day today and I wanted to take the '67 out. So I told my wife it's time for her to drive it. She knows how to drive a stick but hasn't driven the Corvette since we bought it last spring because she's afraid she'll damage it or break it somehow. Anyway, we had a good ride and she had a blast. I didn't think I was going to be able to get the keys away from her.

Her only complaint was that the clutch was a lot stiffer than her car (Mitsubishi Eclipse). She's only 5' 3" and I noticed that her left leg is fully extended when the clutch is engaged, even with the seat moved all the way forward.
RatDog...

Sounds like she had fun driving the '67. But, did she hit anything while driving? Oh that right, you wouldn't be able to see if see did, you just had cataract surgery.

Wishing you a fast recovery with good vision.

Bruce
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,541 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Now she will want to drive it all the time

At least you got to go for a drive. Best of luck with your recovery
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM
36couper
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I had cataract surgery 14 years ago (I was young!). At that time there were no driving restrictions. I let my wife drive me home from the hospital but other than that, I was free to drive. Now my eyesight is still virtually perfect!
Not so sure I'd like my wife drive my '63. It scary enough to ride with her when she is driving our Cad SRX!!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 36couper
I had cataract surgery 14 years ago (I was young!). At that time there were no driving restrictions. I let my wife drive me home from the hospital but other than that, I was free to drive. Now my eyesight is still virtually perfect!
Not so sure I'd like my wife drive my '63. It scary enough to ride with her when she is driving our Cad SRX!!
It's more of my own self-imposed restriction. The surgeries didn't go quite as expected. I paid an extra $5K (not covered by insurance) for multi-focal lens implants. 85% of people who get these lenses don't ever have to wear glasses again. Didn't work for me. But they can't fit me for glasses until I'm done with all of my post-op stuff (3 RX eyedrops 4 times a day). That will be the middle of next month. Hopefully, glasses will fix everything.

In the meantime, you wouldn't want to be on the road with me right now if I were driving. I can see the road and the cars but it's all blurry. I can't read street signs at all. I certianly don't want to drive a 45-year old collector car with these eyes. And my driver license has a restriction on the back saying I have to wear glasses at all times when driving which might be tough to explain if I get stopped or I'm in an accident. Can't wear my old glasses. They make the situation worse.

So, my wife is my chauffeur for now. She's a good driver did good driving the Corvette today. She did miss a 2nd to 3rd shift but who hasn't done that?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Ya, but did she try parallel parking it?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Ya, but did she try parallel parking it?
Heck, I don't even do that .
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Heck, if your wife gets tired of driving you around in the vette I can certainly run over there and do it. Just the kind of guy I am!

Your eyes are still too blurry to see the speedometer from the passenger's seat ? Right ?

Seriously - that sucks about the lens implants. You're doing the right thing taking it easy and letting things work out.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery !
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by midyearvette
it's really bad to use the drivers seat all the way forward in a c2
it changes the angle of the johnson rod for the crossmember which in turn can damage the transmission because of improper torque load...
if a pillow is used on the seat back to help with the clutch, it changes the smortagray load on the seat belt bolts and could lead to tragic consequences!
Thanks for the info Frank. I will need this when my teenage daughter gets her license this spring. Maybe JohnZ will come on board and post some pics. Is this forum great or what!

Last edited by dahogan; 01-31-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Heck, if your wife gets tired of driving you around in the vette I can certainly run over there and do it. Just the kind of guy I am!

Your eyes are still too blurry to see the speedometer from the passenger's seat ? Right ?

Seriously - that sucks about the lens implants. You're doing the right thing taking it easy and letting things work out.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery !
Heck, Frank, from the passenger seat, I can't even read the "Corvette Sting Ray" logo badge on the glove box. I can't even see the computer screen without increasing the screen setting to 200%. So you can drive as fast as you want .

But the deal is, once my eyes recover or I get glasses, I get to drive your car (either one, makes no difference). Oh yes, my wife will want to drive it, too <LOL>.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM
darrahc
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a little nervous the first time I let my girlfriend (of 6 years) drive my car because it certainly handles a little differently than anything she was used to driving but she LOVED it.

One day over the summer I had to take my 3 kids back to their mother's house and my 14 year old daughter wanted my girlfriend to drive her in Corvette. I said sure and it was really cool seeing my car on the road from a different perspective and hearing it when they went by. It was funny all the looks the two girls were getting from just about every single guy on the road! When we came to a stop light I pulled up next to them and said to my boys "Hey, check out the two hot chicks in the convertible!" and in all seriousness they said "Where?"
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That's a deal Steve.

Kinda feel your pain. I am not a candidate for LASIK so my hope was that when I finally need cataract surgery they could do corrective lenses at that time. Worn glasses since I was 6 years old and hated every minute of it.

Get better soonest pal!

BTW - you have to train those gals on that 2-3 shift from a young age. I'm already coaching my grand daughter on proper technique !
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-31-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by darrahc
I was a little nervous the first time I let my girlfriend (of 6 years) drive my car because it certainly handles a little differently than anything she was used to driving but she LOVED it.
My wife was surprised at how easy the Corvette was to drive. She didn't have to muscle it around much because the car has PS, PB, and I've swapped the original steering wheel for a smaller diameter wheel. Her biggest problem was getting into reverse. She did it, several times, but it was hard for her to pull up on the T-bar while pushing the stick forward. A weaker spring in the T-bar would have solved the problem, I think.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That's a deal Steve.

Kinda feel your pain. I am not a candidate for LASIK so my hope was that when I finally need cataract surgery they could do corrective lenses at that time. Worn glasses since I was 6 years old and hated every minute of it.

Get better soonest pal!

BTW - you have to train those gals on that 2-3 shift from a young age. I'm already coaching my grand daughter on proper technique !
When the time comes, go for the cataract surgery and spend the extra money for the upgraded multi-focal lenses. Most people (85%)don't have to wear glasses ever again with those. I've worn glasses since the 5th grade and was hoping to not have to wear them. So I took a chance on them. But it looks like I'm among the 15% who still have to wear glasses.

If you're wondering about the procedure, there is no pain at all. Takes 10 minutes and they give you an IV with a "twilight drug". I've had much worse experiences in the dentist's chair.

BTW, nice looking family members sitting there in the car with you.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RatDog
My wife was surprised at how easy the Corvette was to drive. She didn't have to muscle it around much because the car has PS, PB, and I've swapped the original steering wheel for a smaller diameter wheel. Her biggest problem was getting into reverse. She did it, several times, but it was hard for her to pull up on the T-bar while pushing the stick forward. A weaker spring in the T-bar would have solved the problem, I think.
Let her try it underhand, it's easier that way.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

I'm glad it went well, Steve! My wife can't drive a stick shift, I'm all the time trying to convince her to learn. I guess her dad was pretty hard on her during a session as a kid. That's on the C6. I can tell you with a C2, I'd have a hard time letting her out alone in one, she needs all the electronic help she can get, a car is simply not applied physics to her but rather a transportation appliance she expect to be capable of...almost...anything.

Get notified of new replies

To My wife drives the Corvette for the first time today

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My wife drives the Corvette for the first time today