C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage air frontrunner question

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vintage air frontrunner question

I am finding a lot of posts regarding the frontrunner serpentine system and some have had to modify the frame for it to fit. Does anyone know if the Frontrunner fits on a small block without frame interference?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 539 Posts

Not sure about the frontrunner from Vintage, but I am in the process of getting things ready to install a serpentine system I took off a 96 Blazer. The only issues I found were 1) I plan on using a late model alternator 1 wire type and 2) the water pump had to be changed over to a short one, reverse flow. Putting elec fans on it anyway, so not a problem. AC hoses might require a re-design however. I have my fingers crossed that I measured everything correctly, twice!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Not sure about the frontrunner from Vintage, but I am in the process of getting things ready to install a serpentine system I took off a 96 Blazer. The only issues I found were 1) I plan on using a late model alternator 1 wire type and 2) the water pump had to be changed over to a short one, reverse flow. Putting elec fans on it anyway, so not a problem. AC hoses might require a re-design however. I have my fingers crossed that I measured everything correctly, twice!
Good luck with your install. Which electric fans are you using?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 539 Posts

Found a nice 3row aluminum on Ebay w/ 2-12" fans from Radiators for Less. Looks like a well made set up. Quality of the welding is excellent.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by rehirsch8
I am finding a lot of posts regarding the frontrunner serpentine system and some have had to modify the frame for it to fit. Does anyone know if the Frontrunner fits on a small block without frame interference?

Thanks!
I insalled one in my 80' about 10 years ago. I didn't know if it would fit or not I just went for it. It was one of the only aftermaket systems that has truely been a bolt on part. Didn't have to change anything, and thats with a pair of Turbochargers in the way. As far as the frame goes I didn't need to notch mine, but it was close. I have just enough room to get a new belt on. A small change in the Trans Mount might make the diffrence. Some people have had to notch the Frame. Since my Front Runner there have been a couple of upgrades to it. I doubt that they made the lower pulley further forward but I don't know. So I'm going to say that You probably won't need to change the Frame but I'd be ready to just in case. Since this is a weak point in C3's anyway I would run a Brace if You do. The Brace clears the FR just fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I insalled one in my 80' about 10 years ago. I didn't know if it would fit or not I just went for it. It was one of the only aftermaket systems that has truely been a bolt on part. Didn't have to change anything, and thats with a pair of Turbochargers in the way. As far as the frame goes I didn't need to notch mine, but it was close. I have just enough room to get a new belt on. A small change in the Trans Mount might make the diffrence. Some people have had to notch the Frame. Since my Front Runner there have been a couple of upgrades to it. I doubt that they made the lower pulley further forward but I don't know. So I'm going to say that You probably won't need to change the Frame but I'd be ready to just in case. Since this is a weak point in C3's anyway I would run a Brace if You do. The Brace clears the FR just fine.

Thank you this is very helpful and I am going to look into a spreader brace.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a big block and so I had to notch my cross member for the crank pulley.

Here is a link to the front runner site showing the small block front runner dimensions so you can measure off of your engine with the dimensions off of your block to cross member to see if it will interfere.

http://www.vintageair.com/sbcfrntrnnr.asp From the measurements you need at least 6 1/4" off the front of block to the end of the lower crank pulley

Last edited by mysixtynine; 01-24-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mysixtynine
I have a big block and so I had to notch my cross member for the crank pulley.

Here is a link to the front runner site showing the small block front runner dimensions so you can measure off of your engine with the dimensions off of your block to cross member to see if it will interfere.

http://www.vintageair.com/sbcfrntrnnr.asp From the measurements you need at least 6 1/4" off the front of block to the end of the lower crank pulley

Thanks. The problem I have is that I don't have the engine in the car. Does anyone happen to know what the dimension is between the front of the engine block and the frame for a '72 small block?

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage air frontrunner question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vintage air frontrunner question